Ebay plus a joke

I know it's early days, but based on what I see, there is no way in hell I'll be paying for Ebay Plus. I buy a lot and have a large watch list and have noticed that the only sellers offering it.... are those that had free shipping already! lol and of course we know there is no such thing, it's factored in to the price.

So it's all a farce to get people to pay $29, $49 after the first year to get free shipping off sellers who offered it prior to Ebay PLus anyway. Not only single seller I use who charges postage now has the Plus. And here was the Ebay chief saying they were doing it to increase online shopping. Yeah whatever dude....

Message 1 of 127
Latest reply
126 REPLIES 126

Ebay plus a joke

Digi I would be interested to hear about your reservations from a seller's point of view....when you have a moment.

It took me just long enough to read about it when the information was first released to decide it was not for me as a buyer but I would like to understand where sellers are coming from.

Message 21 of 127
Latest reply

Ebay plus a joke

I didn't realise that some sellers have to opt out, I don't agree with that.

What I find interesting is seeing some sellers, who before ebay plus had some items with free postage, some with (often auction items). Now their postage ones are still there, and the free postage items are listed as ebay plus lol So buyers who don't know these stores will think they are getting a good deal when in fact they aren't. It all feels very scammy by these sellers.

Message 22 of 127
Latest reply

Ebay plus a joke

So you think that because a seller has ebay Plus showing on some listings they are scammers?

If you read the boards you will see that ebay is putting the Plus on listings....not the sellers.

Message 23 of 127
Latest reply

Ebay plus a joke

@lizd160904 wrote:

I didn't realise that some sellers have to opt out, I don't agree with that.

What I find interesting is seeing some sellers, who before ebay plus had some items with free postage, some with (often auction items). Now their postage ones are still there, and the free postage items are listed as ebay plus lol So buyers who don't know these stores will think they are getting a good deal when in fact they aren't. It all feels very scammy by these sellers.

If you re-read everything that's been said you'll see that you can't opt out of Plus.  You can, however, opt out of accepting change of mind returns so that your listings don't quality for Plus.  If a seller allows change of mind returns, it's up to ebay whether or not they include your items under the Plus program.

I was scrolling through someone's listings last night (not stuff I wanted to buy, just a random seller) and Plus was showing on most of their listings.  From memory, almost every listing with free postage had it, but not all of their items with separate postage had it.  I didn't check but maybe some of the listings without Plus didn't allow returns for change of mind.

I'd never allow change of mind returns but if I did, I'd be worried that some scammers would return their old/worn out/dirty/broken items instead of the original item, thus getting their item for free.  I know they already do that but there'd be a bit less hassle this way and some would justify it by saying ebay is paying for the postage.

I think it's more about giving buyer's free return postage than free postage on the original purchase.  Maybe ebay is actually using their brains for a change and thinks this will stop so many buyers deliberately damaging items in order to make an INAD claim instead of having to pay for return postage themselves.  In that sense it's actually a good thing, especially for people who buy clothes (except that some will still wear them to an event and then return them).  At least the seller won't end up paying return postage on a damaged item.

Message 24 of 127
Latest reply

Ebay plus a joke

digital*ghost, I'm also consumed with the thing that resulted in the cat's demise...

Message 25 of 127
Latest reply

Ebay plus a joke

@countessalmirena wrote:

digital*ghost, I'm also consumed with the thing that resulted in the cat's demise...

TNT  ??

Message 26 of 127
Latest reply

Ebay plus a joke

A car is easier.

Message 27 of 127
Latest reply

Ebay plus a joke

Or that nosy person providing radioactive material Mr Schrödinger and watching on as a cat is entombed alive within a steel chamber...

Message 28 of 127
Latest reply

Ebay plus a joke

Curiosity killed the cat.
Satisfaction brought it back.
Message 29 of 127
Latest reply

Ebay plus a joke

@tangledstitches wrote:
Curiosity killed the cat.
Satisfaction brought it back.

Ah!! The cat came back.  Plenty of good eradication methods in there.

Message 30 of 127
Latest reply