Ebay removed negative feedback

frme63
Community Member

I have lost trust in ebay today.

I bought a CD from a seller who claimed this Pink Floyd CD was a rare USA 1st release (which are very collectable) and asked a premium price.  His description clearly stated it was "the rare 1983 1st USA release" with the "rare two-track mastering".  It was neither.

When I recieved the CD I found it was the common later release (they look the same) with the common mastering.  I responded to the seller with evidence that it was a later, common CD which do not have much value.  The seller was abusive and would not allow a refund.  Eventually ebay intervened and found in my favour and returned the amount paid.  I then went to send it back to the seller and more abuse followed with him saying I had to pay for return postage.  Eventually he paid for postage and I returned the CD.

I left the seller short negative feedback, which was later removed by ebay.  I was outstanded that after all that, including that he misled his claim to obtain a premium price, ebay removed the negative feedback.  So I asked ebay to investigate why the negative feedback was removed.  Eventually they replied:

Hello xxx

I understand that the feedback you've left is your opinion, however eBay has guidelines in place to ensure feedback is honest, professional and appropriate.

If feedback is not in line with our policies, we may investigate and take action. We can remove these, according to our guidelines.

We know that you may not have been aware that this was against eBay's rules. Now is a great time to become familiar with our feedback policies. Our guidelines can be found here:

http://pages.ebay.com/help/policies/rfe-spam-ov.html

I know this isn’t the response you were hoping for, but I trust I've been able to explain our position clearly.

Kind regards,

Genevieve P.

eBay Customer Service

The feedback was not an 'opinion' but factual - I even had evidence that the listing was false and misleading! But what really bugs me, is the condenscending ebay reply about "now it is a great time to become familiar with our feedback policies "and I trust I have been able to explain our position clearly", when clearly they haven't!

So does this mean we cannot trust feedback on ebay?  

Message 1 of 34
Latest reply
33 REPLIES 33

Re: Ebay removed negative feedback

Latest correspondence with Ebay in the USA.

Fingers crossed that I may be getting somewhere now.

Hello xxx,

Thanks for getting back to us.

I totally understand where you are coming from.

I have checked on the transaction and I can confirm that the feedback was removed due to a policy violation. Please know that we only remove Feedback under very limited circumstances. You can read more about these here: http://pages.ebay.com.au/help/policies/feedback-removal.html

If a Feedback comment violates our member-to-member contact policy, we'll remove the comment (but not the rating). For more information, please see: http://pages.ebay.com.au/help/policies/rfe-spam-ov.html

But you don't need to worry we have lodged a report against the seller. We are now investigating on their account and once proven that they are at fault, we will be taking necessary actions needed. It may include restriction or worst suspension of their account here on eBay.

I trust this information is helpful. Thanks for choosing eBay!

Kind Regards,

Reinah S.

eBay Customer Service Supervisor

And my reply...

Hi Reinah

Thank you for investigating this matter further. I received a phone call from Ebay USA but unfortunately it was early in the morning here and I was still asleep, apologies for that.

I have read and understood Ebay's feedback policies but I do not believe I have violated any of them.

As you probably can see, I have raised this complaint for some time now with several message correspondence with your staff. One of the earlier messages claimed that my feedback was an opinion and the more recent message claims that the seller's listing was investigated an found to be accurate, without consulting with me regarding the evidence I have that the CD was not what the seller claimed. It appears that whoever assessed the request from the seller to withdraw the negative feedback simply took the sellers word.

This is the main area of contention. The seller claimed in the listing that the CD was a "rare" 1983 first release USA Wish You Were Here CD. These are valuable collector items as they contain the rare very early Japan "two track" mastering which the seller charged a premium price. The actual CD was a later more common 4th 1985/86 reissue which do not have the rare mastering and have no value to collectors.

I respectfully provided the evidence to the seller that the CD was not what he listed it as. He did not contest the evidence but maintained it was as he described. Additionally, he treated me quite poorly initially refusing a return (until Ebay stepped in) and then wanted me to pay for return postage.

It is unclear whether you will be conducting the review or another senior staffer. What I would really appreciate is that whoever is conducting the review to contact me (message is fine) to obtain the verifiable evidence I have which proves that the CD was not the rare 1st USA release but a common later reissue.

Additionally, there are members of the Steve Hoffman Music forum who also collect these rare CDs. They are happy to confirm that the sellers listing was false if Ebay wishes their input. However, I think Ebay will find the evidence I have is very conclusive.

Without the negative feedback, the seller is free to relist that CD (or others like it) at some point to an unsuspecting buyer. The early USA CDs are easily passed off as the rare 1st issue as they look pretty much the same (as you will see from my evidence). Even I was misled by the false seller's description and I've been collecting early rare CDs for a decade now.

Thanks

xx

Message 31 of 34
Latest reply

I see nothng new in that answer from Reinah S. @ ebay USA

I think they've simply told you what you want to hear.....again.

Message 32 of 34
Latest reply

Yes, I'm not that naive having gone through all this with Ebay...

I'll be following it up and requesting another call OS call back.

Message 33 of 34
Latest reply

Just wonder if there have been any developments ?

Hoping for the best for you

Message 34 of 34
Latest reply