Ebay unfair coupon code practices

mraj69
Community Member
I just bought a sumsung s10 phone which was advertised by ebay with an AU$40 discount if i used the code "pizzapie". I went to pay but pressed on picture of the item - next thing there was no box to enter the promotion code when i proceeded and it paid for my order without applying any discount (i was expecting to proceed back to the checkout). I immediately phoned ebay australia to seek assistance to apply discount and got nowhere except a lecture on how to buy an item with discount (I've bought 20 items this week). It was pretty obvious i wanted the discount advertised (by ebay, not merchant, beneath item listing) and the fact ebay, who i contacted within minutes of the payment, refuse to entertain any form of credit is not only completely unfair and poor customer service but is misleading and deceptive conduct noting i had no opportunity to enter promotion code. Very disappointed in ebay treatment of this (the item was advertised with discount, one wonders why i should even have to enter it) and demand my $40 credit advertised!!
Message 1 of 18
Latest reply
17 REPLIES 17

eBay don't read here, it's a member to member forum.

Where possible it's always a good idea to check if a code works through the cart.

image host
Message 2 of 18
Latest reply

imastawka
Honored Contributor

There's a back button if the code's not there before you pay.

And what Kopes said as well

Message 3 of 18
Latest reply

lyndal1838
Honored Contributor

Of course you need toenter the code when you pay.....not all members are elligible for some discounts so ebay needs to be sure that the right members get the discount.

You could try asking the seller to cancel the sale so that you can rebuy, using the code.

Message 4 of 18
Latest reply

mraj69
Community Member
All good advice in hinsight but not much help now. I just seek to highlight that ebay don't give a stuff about their customers. I fail to see why they cant at least provide customer credit under the circumstances as clearly this just wouldnt stand in a brick and mortar store when the item is advertised with the discount!! Disgraceful!!!
Message 5 of 18
Latest reply

mraj69
Community Member
Like i said, there was no place to enter any code and i believed i was going back to the checkout!
Message 6 of 18
Latest reply

How is it unhelpful to suggest asking the seller for a cancellation so you can rebuy using the code through checkout?

Message 7 of 18
Latest reply

mraj69
Community Member
Seller has already posted it!
Message 8 of 18
Latest reply

It sounds to me like you've got automatic payment set up so that you don't have to sign into paypal each time. If you change it so you always have to sign in to paypal this wouldn't be able to happen.

Looking at it from ebay's point of view, they would get thousands of calls about people not checking out correctly and it would cost them a fortune in staff wages to check that buyers are eligible for the voucher in the first place and then to give them a credit, but on top of that, if they manually give a credit it wouldn't be connected to the purchase so if you happened to return the item you'd end up getting refunded the full price and ebay would be out of pocket for the value of the voucher.

If you mess up once when using a voucher you're likely to be more careful next time, but if they gave everyone a credit there'd be no incentive to be more careful.

As for a comparison to a b&m shop, if you had a voucher but forgot to use it when you went through the checkout I doubt the store would issue you a credit afterwards. Some online websites will but others won't, and I can understand why because it's a lot of extra work for them.
Message 9 of 18
Latest reply

mraj69
Community Member
Careful or not there was no place for me to enter the coupon code on that page and i thought i was proceeding to checkout. I rang them seconds after the purchase went through too so it was pretty obvious that i was legit. No mercy or quarter was given by the call center employees either when it wasnt asking too much to get the discount i was entitled to rather than be belittled. Like i said, ebay dont give a stuff about even their loyal customers and that's extremely disappointing.
Message 10 of 18
Latest reply