Feedback

Hi,

I am just wondering why some sellers don't leave feedback for buyers until after the buyer has left feedback for them?

Message 1 of 133
Latest reply
132 REPLIES 132

Feedback

imastawka
Honored Contributor

Some,not all, sellers use the buyers feedback as confirmation

that the item was received and all is well

Message 2 of 133
Latest reply

Feedback

yeah I know that, but why delay leaving the buyer their feedback, after all if the buyer has paid and the item has been sent then hasn't the buyer met their obligation of the transaction, the next step would be the buyer leaving the seller feedback and that situation being dealt with or not depending on what feed back the buyer leaves

For me if the seller still hasn't left feedback and I have received the item, they are open to leave me bad feedback if I leave that for them, where if I did leave bad feedback there is a process that can be followed if the seller feels that it is not justified

I think that if the transaction has been completed, in so far as the buyer has paid on time for the item, then the seller should leave feedback then and not wait till the buyer leaves them feedback      

Message 3 of 133
Latest reply

Feedback

thanks for taking the time to reply though
Message 4 of 133
Latest reply

Feedback

I am only a casual seller but I do tend to wait until I receive feedback from the buyer to make sure the item has arrived safe and sound. Its all a matter of preference. Sellers can only leave positive feedback for buyers so you won't be getting any negatives back from them.

Shouldn't you be trying to communicate with the seller to try to fix any issues before leaving negative or neutral feedback?

Message 5 of 133
Latest reply

Feedback

So far I have not had to leave negative feedback, but I would contact a seller to try and resolve an issue before I did, I wasn't aware that sellers could only leave positive feedback, thanks for letting me know about that
Message 6 of 133
Latest reply

Feedback

Feedback is VOLUNTARY. Neither party has to leave it and, in my experience, a lot of buyers don't, no matter when I leave mine for them.

eBay allow sellers to auto-leave feedback for a buyer after the buyer leaves positive for them, so a lot do that. It saves having to go to each individual transaction. Plus, a transaction is far from over at the time you pay, or even when the item is posted.

As sellers can only leave positive feedback, feedback for buyers-only is simply a count of the number of transactions sellers left feedback for. It has no bearing on your credibility unless sellers breach policy and leave false positives (especially for NPBs). I'm sure you wouldn't welcome that sort of feedback.

Message 7 of 133
Latest reply

Feedback

@2012happychap wrote:

yeah I know that, but why delay leaving the buyer their feedback, after all if the buyer has paid and the item has been sent then hasn't the buyer met their obligation of the transaction, the next step would be the buyer leaving the seller feedback and that situation being dealt with or not depending on what feed back the buyer leaves

For me if the seller still hasn't left feedback and I have received the item, they are open to leave me bad feedback if I leave that for them, where if I did leave bad feedback there is a process that can be followed if the seller feels that it is not justified

I think that if the transaction has been completed, in so far as the buyer has paid on time for the item, then the seller should leave feedback then and not wait till the buyer leaves them feedback      

By your reasoning, buyers should be leaving sellers feedback once they've posted the item.

Funny, very few buyers leave feedback until they have a fully informed assessment of the transaction to provide, some sellers like to do the same thing, I guess, and not just issue a variation of 'hey, this buyer paid for the item they bought - top stuff!'

You have the right to choose if and when you leave feedback, but not the right to choose when anyone else "should". Respect the fact that sellers have the right to leave feedback if and when they choose and focus on the things that really matter.

JMO.

Message 8 of 133
Latest reply

Feedback

“By your reasoning, buyers should be leaving sellers feedback once they've posted the item”, not at all I’m not sure how you came to that conclusion, that conclusion is incorrect

Message 9 of 133
Latest reply

Feedback

@2012happychap wrote:
“By your reasoning, buyers should be leaving sellers feedback once they've posted the item”, not at all I’m not sure how you came to that conclusion, that conclusion is incorrect

It wasn't a conclusion, as such, it was using your reasoning as a basis for my statement. If feedback should be based on when a member has fulfilled an obligation, then posting an item is the closest equivalent to paying for an item in so far as obligations go. 

Buyers don't leave feedback for a seller once an item has been posted because some things are yet to be confirmed. They need to receive the item, check that everything is ok, and if it's not, hopefully the seller will address the issue quickly etc. There are a lot of things that can happen post-payment and post-shipping, so a buyer will wait until they can be as sure as possible that everything is A-ok and nothing further needs to happen.

Sellers have the same right to make sure everything is A-ok before they assess the transaction, and a transaction is more than just a buyer paying for something - the same way it's more than just a seller posting something.

And, guess what's the best indication a seller gets that everything is A-ok and nothing more needs to be done for the buyer? 

Message 10 of 133
Latest reply