GSP Import Charges is a Scam!

Is there any way that this ridiculous charge could be challenged? Who at some high level could contact Pitney Bowes and get this made fairer? What exactly does this fee entail? I could possibly accept that the GST is included? Smiley Frustrated

screenshot-pay.ebay.com-2018-07-11-22-56-11.png

Message 1 of 50
Latest reply
49 REPLIES 49

@annipurr wrote:

@anni

Please show me where my calculation is wrong 

GST is actually $46.19 if you use BIN. GST is calculated on value of imported item and transport costs, provided the seller is registered for GST.

eBay is not a seller, but an EDP and that loophole was conveniently blocked in January 2018 and effective July 2018, this fiscal calendar. 

i used to buy alot from OS, not anymore through eBay. There are other ways...

F*&K this BS. Im outa here.

Pitney Bowes serves the same fuction as ebay in that they collect the GST before the goods are shipped.....the donside is that they charge a fee for doing so.   It is cheaper to use USPS so ebay collects the GST and do not charge any extra.

So you're "outa here"?   That is a relief.

Message 31 of 50
Latest reply

@annipurr wrote:

@anni

Please show me where my calculation is wrong 

GST is actually $46.19 if you use BIN. GST is calculated on value of imported item and transport costs, provided the seller is registered for GST.

see, I am able to admit when I get something wrong.

Can you see where your GST calculation is wrong?

Spoiler
I can!
Message 32 of 50
Latest reply

For you, k1000-slr-sales, I present this lovely dancing turkey.

Turkey Can-Can

Message 33 of 50
Latest reply

@ k1ooo-slr-sales wrote:

see, I am able to admit when I get something wrong.

Can you see where your GST calculation is wrong?

Spoiler
I can!

I really thought anni would come back to refute my post saying that they had an error in calculating the GST on that item, but they haven’t yet.

Anyway, here is the breakdown:

Item BIN price US$319

Postage US$21.78

Import charges US$41.51

So, the GST on the item+postage would be 10% of US$319+US$21.78 = US$340.78/10 = US$34.08

The import charge is made up of the GST plus a PB charge for collection of GST and processing documentation.  In this case the PB component of the US$41.51 is US$41.51 - US$34.08 = US$7.43

Here’s where many members, self included, can make some calculation errors.  The PB charge is subject to GST i.e. GST is charged on the fee applied by PB to collect GST (ouch!).  So, 1/11th of that PB charge is GST as that charge is GST inclusive.  For this item that is 1/11th of US$7.43 = US$0.68

If the exchange rate used is averaged from the rates shown in the jpg ($21.78/$29.99 = $0.72624, $319/$439.18 = $0.72635) at $0.7263

TOTAL GST is therefore US$34.08 + US$0.68 = US$34.76 = A$47.86

Minor differences in this total occur depending on the exchange rate used (item price calc or postage calc) and when exchange rate is applied i.e. before or after calculating 10%GST.  But these would only mean a difference of cents, not dollars.

So, anni had a GST calculation of A$46.19 when the actual GST is A$47.86

Spoiler
maybe anni and I both need to go back to school!
Spoiler
bags the back seat Smiley LOL

Message 34 of 50
Latest reply

Pitney Bowles has doubled the cost of overseas postage. Ebay has a hand in this too because on thevlisting page at the end of the auction you have the winning bid amount and postage cost. Then when you go to pay you end up with a domestic postage charge added on to an international gsp cost. The total for postage given on the end of auction screen are completely misleading.
Message 35 of 50
Latest reply

*is completely misleading
Message 36 of 50
Latest reply

The total postage in the auction to send three lightweight tshirts was nearly £20. In another purchase from the uk i bought a fleece jacket. The postage was £5.55. So yes quite a lot more expensive.
Message 37 of 50
Latest reply

Sorry this was a bit off topic. Apologies
Message 38 of 50
Latest reply

@sisyphusxx87 wrote:

Then when you go to pay you end up with a domestic postage charge added on to an international gsp cost. The total for postage given on the end of auction screen are completely misleading.

Of course there is a domestic shipping charge, how else would the seller get their parcel to Pitney Bowes' distribution centre in Erlanger ?????

There is a separate payment for Pitney Bowes' postage and charges, the seller may well not even know the item is being sent overseas.

Edit. Perhaps read up on this thread about the GSP.

https://community.ebay.com.au/t5/Buying/Global-Shipping-Program-put-into-perspective/td-p/2165256/pa...

"Start me up I'll never stop......"
Message 39 of 50
Latest reply

Im aware that the seller needs to get the parcel to Pitney Bowes. My issue is that this cost isnt stated on the auction listing which is misleading.
Message 40 of 50
Latest reply