GSP Import Charges is a Scam!

Is there any way that this ridiculous charge could be challenged? Who at some high level could contact Pitney Bowes and get this made fairer? What exactly does this fee entail? I could possibly accept that the GST is included? Smiley Frustrated

screenshot-pay.ebay.com-2018-07-11-22-56-11.png

Message 1 of 50
Latest reply
49 REPLIES 49

It has allready been stated here, that it is your choice , to purchase or not, with shipment via GSP.

In relation to the charge indicated, in the OP, the majority of this is GST.  which will still be payable and will be collected

by ebay instead of GSP.

If you want to import low value goods, you will have to either pay the GST, or learn how to do it via alternative means.

Message 11 of 50
Latest reply

@4channel wrote:

I'd just like to add that another overseas seller has ditched Global Shipping and gone back to normal postage. And no surprise, his sales have gone up quite a lot. Guess GSP is not the way to go. LOL.Smiley Very Happy

As far as buyers go I don't think any of us like the GSP and we have always stated this.

However, it does have some advantages for sellers as far as seller protection goes.   Sellers have to decide for themselves if the reduced sales are outweighed by the seller protection.

Large sellers will be able to see the loss of sales a lot quicker than small sellers or sellers who do not list regularly.

Message 12 of 50
Latest reply

That expresses exactly my own view. I don't like the GSP and I've always stated this... even though I acknowledge that it does indeed have very high seller protection value, plus ease of use for sellers who don't want to bother with the paperwork of overseas postage.

I have so far been fortunate to have avoided being given no option but to buy something I must have, from a seller who only uses the GSP. I am a cunning "investigative buyer", searching in metaphorical cellars and attics and hidden corners. A little research, and other buyers may also find themselves able to come up with non-GSP-using sellers. It's a big world wide web out there.

Message 13 of 50
Latest reply

All of the USA mail forwarding companies have been coralled by the Australian Government into agreeing to collect GST on the value of the item plus shipping

Message 14 of 50
Latest reply

The silly thing is, 4channel won't contact sellers asking to ship by alternative methods, because he thinks that will show the seller there is interest in their item and they'll increase the price. Yet, I have also bought rare records from the US, just like him, and I have asked some sellers if they would ship via USPS, and they gladly did. No increase in prices, nothing else to indicate that their item is in high demand. 4channel is his own worst enemy. I think he just needs something to complain about, instead of just getting on with it.

Message 15 of 50
Latest reply

@4channel wrote:

I'd just like to add that another overseas seller has ditched Global Shipping and gone back to normal postage. And no surprise, his sales have gone up quite a lot. Guess GSP is not the way to go. LOL.Smiley Very Happy

Their losses to scammers have possibly increased correspondingly.

Message 16 of 50
Latest reply

@*tippy*toes* wrote:

The silly thing is, 4channel won't contact sellers asking to ship by alternative methods, because he thinks that will show the seller there is interest in their item and they'll increase the price. Yet, I have also bought rare records from the US, just like him, and I have asked some sellers if they would ship via USPS, and they gladly did. No increase in prices, nothing else to indicate that their item is in high demand. 4channel is his own worst enemy. I think he just needs something to complain about, instead of just getting on with it.

Great that you use this thread to attack me with complete nonsense. You just reveal more about yourself as you progress.

You know very well that I ask (Politely) sellers if they could please consider sending via the musch cheaper and combinable method of of USPS or GB post.  The ONLY thing that I have brought up (AND WHICH YOU KNOW VERY WELL) in discussion is that in a BEST OFFER scenario, asking a seller about relisting an item does take away your bargaining power with that seller. This is because when you submit a best offer, the seller knows you're already that interested and more than likely will hold out for more. This has been proven.

Spoiler
Look Tippy Toes, if you want to twist things around and bare false witness against another person then go for it. You're the one that has to live wioth yourself and look in he mirror every day! Smiley Indifferent

Message 17 of 50
Latest reply

I would say that all bar a few of my overseas record purchases are from Best Offer. I've had a few rejected offers, but most have accepted. None of the rejected offers increased their prices. They know what their items are worth and they also know it would be fruitless increasing the price. Collectors know their worth too, so it would be rare for a seller to increase their price thinking they could get more. That's when they would lose out on a sale. 

I have also bought from sellers using GSP that wouldn't change. I have told them which records I want and they bundle them into one listing. No increase in prices, sometimes even a small discount. Only an idiot seller would increase their price during a bundle. It would be the quickest way for the buyer to not buy and then they have to go about relisting everything again. If they don't have any free listings left, then they either pay an insertion fee or wait until next month to relist them. They'd be cutting their own throat.

Message 18 of 50
Latest reply

It certainly is a scam... A dirty filthy scam of double dipping, and eBay is complicitly playing along.

Pitney Bowles is a shipping agent not a buying and selling broker. eBay handles that..

You obviously dont know much about taxation and business...

Message 19 of 50
Latest reply

Only way out is to ask the seller to post it direct, not through these filthy agents who really are not needed at all...

I dont need their services to get a parcel delivered to me. And American and British eBay sellers should give buyers the choice. 

I suspect long ago before Pitney Bowles began charging these extra costs, sellers have been using them with security in mind. Now the sellers are stuck with them...

But PItney Bowles in Particular have always been a very expensive alternative for shipping. 

For example in the image attached.

Why should I be paying $41.51 import charge usd for this 2nd hand product from a private seller???

I won't buy from sellers who have these charges added anymore...

Message 20 of 50
Latest reply