GST on all imports July 2018

Yes kicks in  this July  already talking an extra added  $5 security fee !

Message 1 of 346
Latest reply
345 REPLIES 345

Re: GST on all imports July 2018

@xerxes_au wrote:

Re-read that previous post and saw the "2 of 3" but you can't edit a message in here more than 2 minutes after you post it.

The reality with eBay now charging GST is that it wont go away, _ever_.

However other realities are now that people will move to purchasing directly from chinese companies (completely legally) to avoid thousands in GST charges. I know this is what I will be doing.

For dollar items not worth saving GST on, I won't use the platform for purchasing again until they fix the next issue:

ebay has implented the GST, putting Aus sellers at an "apparent" 10% price disadvatage by using bait and switch tactics with the prices of OS sellers wares. Aus sellers include GST in their price, but ebay springs the GST on the buyer for OS sellers at checkout. The sort by price filter is now broken. Not to mention its not legal to charge GST after someone has entered an agreement to the purchase  "buy-it-now" and is then informed of the charge after. While it may be technically legal to fill your cart with shopping, and then tack on charges at the checkout before they have agreed, it's still a deceitful business practice.

you actually get 5 mins to edit a post, but the edit must be completed by the 5 minute mark.

The GST won’t go away on eBay overseas purchases because the Federal Coalition Government has legislated the GST on low-cost imports.

The larger Chinese companies that deal with Aussies will have registered for collection of GST.

There will be smaller Chinese companies who will charge 10% more for their items, they will tell you it is GST but they might just keep it for themselves.  The way that some Chinese sellers have behaved on eBay make me think that there are unscrupulous traders who are opportunists, and they will exploit any opportunity.  I also acknowledge that there are ethical Chinese traders.

The ATO guidelines allow for traders to advertise prices ex-GST so long as they include “Goods and Services Tax (GST) may apply” in their add.  eBay listings do have this statement in the Postage tab.

Have a read of the info and links in this thread:

https://community.ebay.com.au/t5/Buying/GST-when-buying-overseas-a-few-FACTS/m-p/2171248#M92475

edit: see, edited 5 minutes after posting

Message 241 of 346
Latest reply

@xerxes_au wrote:

@davewil1964 wrote:

Food, clothing, shelter. That is what people NEED. 2 of which are available at reasonable prices in Australia. The other is generally not available to import.

Hah, don't know what world you live in but I'm Australian and I pay 80% of my income in rent.

More fool you. You need to find somewhere cheaper or, as an ex-Treasurer once recommended, get a better job.

This was the item I mentioned that isn't available to import.

Message 242 of 346
Latest reply

The distinct lack of the inclusion of GST in the listing price definitely impacts on australian sellers.

ebay.com.au should make this tax  shown as part of the listing price, when organising search results either for highest price first or last now it is so inaccurate that it is frustrating.

such as this recent experience, two identical watches were $99 from china and $105 from australia, but the reality is that the one from china is actually $108.90, thus ebay is somewhat misleading buyers and ignoring the .AU and negating australian sellers  . .

Message 243 of 346
Latest reply

fuseroz
Community Member

I am looking at a sweater from US $88.00 (US) and noticed it has import charges of US $15.70, confirmed at checkout. This is apparently an agreement with Pitney Bowes, as if the Global shipping Program they are providing isn`t already exorbitant. I have seen some clothing including a shipping charge of US $90.00. I usually buy Cashmere sweaters for winter in Tasmania. 

Message 244 of 346
Latest reply

The GST is charged on the value of the item plus the postage cost.

If the postage is via the GSP then you are charged an extra amount for Pitney Bowes to collect the GST.

Message 245 of 346
Latest reply

So effectively 20%? I was bidding on a UK based item at $44 and faced $8 "import "charges

Message 246 of 346
Latest reply

When you buy there is an additional invoice for GST. When you return an item or the item does not arrive or the seller cancels and a refund is given, the GST is still separate. I only got 60% of the GST refunded.
Message 247 of 346
Latest reply

@au_schol wrote:

So effectively 20%? I was bidding on a UK based item at $44 and faced $8 "import "charges

what shipping was used on the $44 item?

If it is Royal Mail you will pay 10% GST on the postage cost.  If it is shipped using Pitney Bowes (GSP) then you will pay 10% GST on the shipping cost AND it has been reported on these boards that Pitney Bowes is charging an “import charge” on items shipped to Australia from the UK and USA.

To add insult to injury Pitney Bowes are required to charge GST on the import charge.

Message 248 of 346
Latest reply

Ebay is just bowing to the demands of the big retail chains (Harvy norman) crying to the government that there losing $ too people buying on ebay from overseas.
Message 249 of 346
Latest reply

@caspergh2007 wrote:
Ebay is just bowing to the demands of the big retail chains (Harvy norman) crying to the government that there losing $ too people buying on ebay from overseas.

I suggest you read the entire thread from the link below for the facts rather than suppositions on the GST.

https://community.ebay.com.au/t5/Buying/GST-when-buying-overseas-a-few-FACTS/m-p/2176325#M93239

"Start me up I'll never stop......"
Message 250 of 346
Latest reply