GST on products bought from overseas. Just got stung!

Just got stung with a 10% GST when I bought a book fro the USA (not happy Mr Turnball)

Message 1 of 39
Latest reply
38 REPLIES 38

Re: GST on products bought from overseas. Just got stung!

@bigkiddies wrote:

Just got stung with a 10% GST when I bought a book fro the USA (not happy Mr Turnball)

Totally agree. GST on second hand overseas items is wrong. Some of the items are being purchased from normal everyday people selling off their unwanted posessions. What next? You buy a TV from your next door neughbour that was an unwanted birthday gift or they wan a bigger one and you get stung for GST?? Yep, that day may not be that far away.

Message 11 of 39
Latest reply

Get a little bit real here, everybody who listens to or watches news events in this country would be aware that GST is now applicable to all items coming into Australia.,  Yes, not many of us like it but that is the way it is.  If you are not happy speak to your local member and air your grievances there.  Nobody here or Ebay are in a position to change it.

As far as the sale to next door neighbour - does he live overseas?

Message 12 of 39
Latest reply

@daydreams_12 wrote:

Get a little bit real here, everybody who listens to or watches news events in this country would be aware that GST is now applicable to all items coming into Australia.,  Yes, not many of us like it but that is the way it is.  If you are not happy speak to your local member and air your grievances there.  Nobody here or Ebay are in a position to change it.

As far as the sale to next door neighbour - does he live overseas?

Gidday. Yes daydreams_12, it is allicable to nearly all items coming in, but that still doesn't make it right! , Actually, ou haven't adressed the point I was trying to make.

First of all, if a man wants to buy a second hand item from another man, as long as it's not a prohibited item or a danger to another person, it's no damned business of any other party. That includes the govt. Paying GST (as of this year the first time) on second hand items, many from people selling unwanted items creates a dangerous and hideous precedent. The day will come, and believe me it will that if a man (woman incl.) buys a second hand item from their neighbour, GST will be applicable on that item.

The govt is going to have to make more revenue to cover what's being lost in privatisation,$$$  politicians wages, $$$  50 million dollar golden handshakes for banking and finance executives, $$$ tax cuts for the mega rich wealthy class and $$$ mega business corporations. $$$ 

IT''S ON US TO FOOT THE BILL!

Message 13 of 39
Latest reply

@4channel wrote:

That includes the govt. Paying GST (as of this year the first time) on second hand items, many from people selling unwanted items creates a dangerous and hideous precedent. The day will come, and believe me it will that if a man (woman incl.) buys a second hand item from their neighbour, GST will be applicable on that item.

How many times do you have to be told.....GST has always been paid on second hand items IF THE SELLER IS REGISTERED FOR GST.

It is not new this year....it is the same now as it has been for the last 18 years.

If the neighbour is registered for GST then the buyer will pay GST....if he is not registered then there will be no GST paid.

Message 14 of 39
Latest reply

@lyndal1838 wrote:

@4channel wrote:

That includes the govt. Paying GST (as of this year the first time) on second hand items, many from people selling unwanted items creates a dangerous and hideous precedent. The day will come, and believe me it will that if a man (woman incl.) buys a second hand item from their neighbour, GST will be applicable on that item.

How many times do you have to be told.....GST has always been paid on second hand items IF THE SELLER IS REGISTERED FOR GST.

It is not new this year....it is the same now as it has been for the last 18 years.

If the neighbour is registered for GST then the buyer will pay GST....if he is not registered then there will be no GST paid.

Please just leave me along Lyndal!

Message 15 of 39
Latest reply

@lyndal1838 wrote:

@4channel wrote:

I meant to say, please just leave me alone Lyndal!

You know the point that I was trying to make but you used this as an opportunity to attack me,.

Again, please, just leave me alone Lyndal!

Message 16 of 39
Latest reply

How has lyndal attacked you?

She just merely said that you're not listening,all you need to do is just listen and every thing will fall into place, simple'sWoman LOL

Message 17 of 39
Latest reply

@4channel wrote:

@lyndal1838 wrote:

@4channel wrote:

I meant to say, please just leave me alone Lyndal!

You know the point that I was trying to make but you used this as an opportunity to attack me,.

Again, please, just leave me alone Lyndal!

I did not attack you.

I just pointed out that the point you are making is incorrect.

The whole point of these boards is to give correct information....not start a scare campaign giving wrong information.

Message 18 of 39
Latest reply

@collect247 wrote:

How has lyndal attacked you?

She just merely said that you're not listening,all you need to do is just listen and every thing will fall into place, simple'sWoman LOL

crow333crow , sorry you're possibly not on to what is happening here.

BTW: Lyndal knows the point I was trying to make. The point was (and this has been the case before in another discussion) that the day will come that an oprdinary transaction between two neighbours will have GST attatched to it because we are headed into a more cashless society as well. And I'll give you an example here. One neighbour has an unwanted item. A couch or coffee table. Other neighbour says   .. ..   "Hey, I wouldn't mind having that. I'll give you fifty bucks for that". Then there has to be a GST declaration made on that. This day will come. We will see private transactions having GST.

Lyndal knows that I know what the set up is. She just likes to have a go at people for whatever reasons she has. Smiley Wink

Like a couple of others here,  I may just  put her on ignore.

BTW: If you buy a car off your cousin who is just an oridinary, everyday dude / dudette, should you pay GST on that transaction?

Message 19 of 39
Latest reply

If I was to make say over $75000 per annum and therefor was registered for GST then I guess I would charge GST and therefor the buyer/customer would be slugged 10% GST.

But my cousin would need to declare the money he/she just made from the sale simples Woman Wink

Message 20 of 39
Latest reply