Gift card scam

alf7536
Community Member

I received a call on my mobile this after from a person sounding like an Indian who said that my account will be debited $200 for a gift card that I had ordered. I did not at any time order an eBay gift card. THe phone number indicates that the cal was made from Adelaide but that may also be false. Just be aware, people.

Message 1 of 59
Latest reply
58 REPLIES 58

Gift card scam

I received two calls from these people today to my cell phone. The first an automated message from REMOVED. Saying they had detected a possible fraudulent gift card purchase on my ebay for $299 and push various numbers to cancel, authorize or speak to security. This was a voice mail.

The second time was from a Darwin Northern Territory number REMOVED.  this time I answered, same message so I pressed the 1 to cancel and got an Indian guy. he said same, $299.9 gift card on my account etc. If I didn't authorise I would need to speak to their security to cancel. I new it was fake so asked hi a few times was he really ebay. he insisted yes. and asked what device I used. I said apple- he wanted me to go to the app store, so I changed to PC he said open Chrome and go to www.anydesk.com.... I told him he was joking I know he would get access to my PC. I let him have it that it was a scam etc. I must admit he kept cool and kept repeating that if I did nothing I would lose $299.99  etc  I hung up.

Blocking those numbers 

Message 31 of 59
Latest reply

Gift card scam

sli4279
Community Member

Got the same call, got asked if I wanted to cancel or proceed with the purchase, I said proceed. The idiot thought he heard wrong and kept confirming with me, I said just go ahead with it, and he just thanked me and hang up. 😂

Message 32 of 59
Latest reply

Gift card scam

@sli4279 wrote:

The idiot thought he heard wrong and kept confirming with me, I said just go ahead with it, and he just thanked me and hang up. 😂

Probably not such a good move on your part since you have now confirmed your number is active, the scammer has probably passed you number on to other scammers.

The best response is either not to answer unknown callers, or hang up without saying anything.

"Start me up I'll never stop......"
Message 33 of 59
Latest reply

Gift card scam

Indeed

I imagine the scammer is the one having a good laugh

Message 34 of 59
Latest reply

Gift card scam

pinsent3
Community Member

Same thing to me - Indian sounding

Message 35 of 59
Latest reply

Gift card scam

@pinsent3 wrote:

It doesn't matter what they sound like, scam callers can be from anywhere.

"Nicole' from Telstra is aussie sounding (though a bit robotic in tone) but she's still a scammer.

If you get any call out of the blue, asking you to confirm details or hand over information, hang up, no mjatter who they say they are from. The scammers might claim to be from ebay, Amazon, the Coomonwealth bank, taxation, Telstra, ANZ, paypal etc. The list goes on and on. The point is that they are NOT from those places, they are not associated with any of those places. Just hang up.

Message 36 of 59
Latest reply

Gift card scam

@springyzone wrote:

@pinsent3 wrote:

It doesn't matter what they sound like, scam callers can be from anywhere.

"Nicole' from Telstra is aussie sounding (though a bit robotic in tone) but she's still a scammer.

--------------------------------------------

I agree, springy. Not to mention that the Indian accent is actually easy to imitate, so... it could be anyone anywhere.

Message 37 of 59
Latest reply

Gift card scam

I too had a call today, same as yours for $299 gift card purchase, by someone in Melbourne..   Said I hadn't responded to an earlier email checking about it, so that is why they were ringing. Wanted me to go through a process for a security application which would then cancel this order, and stop the 3rd party from hacking me again. Wanted me to go to my computer to check. I asked the Indian gentleman, who gave me his name as Eric Martin, to phoneback in half an hour to give me time to check my emails- but of course nothing there from ebay, and haven't rung back. Lucky I got suspicious and didn't do as he was asking.

Message 38 of 59
Latest reply

Gift card scam

I had one of these today. When I rang back, the first person said that if I rang again, they would call the police. So, I did ring back anyway, and got the runaround from another Indian sounding person about a $299 gift card. 

Message 39 of 59
Latest reply

Gift card scam

Your point? Other than you have confirmed that you a soft target for scammers?

Message 40 of 59
Latest reply