Gift card scam

alf7536
Community Member

I received a call on my mobile this after from a person sounding like an Indian who said that my account will be debited $200 for a gift card that I had ordered. I did not at any time order an eBay gift card. THe phone number indicates that the cal was made from Adelaide but that may also be false. Just be aware, people.

Message 1 of 59
Latest reply
58 REPLIES 58

Gift card scam

I've just had the same, tried to get me to download an app on my phone (which was screen sharing) so sneaky!!

Message 41 of 59
Latest reply

Gift card scam

I have just had the same thing happen.  He said that $300 gift card was ordered on my ebay from California and he asked me to type in my ip address from google.  I hung up.  Is this a scam?

Message 42 of 59
Latest reply

Gift card scam

Yes it is a scam

as has been explained many times in this thread and numerous other threads over and over

Message 43 of 59
Latest reply

Gift card scam

I just had the exact same phone call but for a $500 gift card. I swear, I wish these idiots would wise up and realise most Aussies aren’t that stupid!

Message 44 of 59
Latest reply

Gift card scam

There are enough stupid Aussies out there to keep these scammers going for a hundred years.

Don't you read every single day how people who swear they are not stupid yet they get scammed out of thousands?

Message 45 of 59
Latest reply

Gift card scam

You only need to have a look on the forum alone at the number of people who have boasted about pressing 1 or when can they pick up the car from the car scammer 

As said, there are indeed enough to keep scammers very happily scamming away

Message 46 of 59
Latest reply

Gift card scam

The worst thing is that there are Australians who are not necessarily stupid, but who do fall for scams. It may be a moment of inattention; it may be a mindset induced by the fear tactics of some scams; it may be the famous love of a bargain; it may be emotional vulnerability scans; it may be the sophistication of a scam (eg business invoice redirection scams)… The ones that break my heart are the scams that prey on the vulnerable and naïve (especially the older people of Australia who aren’t necessarily tech-savvy, or those with intellectual … not necessarily disabilities but some degree of intellectual naïveté, where the nature of the scam is to take advantage of that vulnerability.

The cost of a scammer using bots sending out SMS or email scams is negligible. Phone based scams are a little more resource-intensive, but the scammers speaking to potential victims once bot-dialled scam calls connect to them are very poorly paid scam call centre employees using a script paid for by the call centre business owner. It’s the owner who takes in the huge profits.

The “profit” margin is huge. The bot-generated calls go out to millions, and out of those millions the scammers will only need a handful to make it very very worthwhile.

The best thing we can do is to educate ourselves on these scams, enough to lower our risk of being caught out - and to extend this knowledge to others… ESPECIALLY to people who are alone, isolated, forgotten, not connected to a wider community, without family, more naïve, less technically adept - all of those or any of those things.

Business people need to be wary of any alteration in payment details (new bank account no, etc), and all of us need to be cautious. We can’t afford to think we’re above being scammed and we can’t afford to be blasé. For example, even IT people can be scammed, demonstrated by the fact that several tech people of whom I know have had accounts hijacked, have clicked onto links that they were sure were safe, etc.

I’ve had to confront my own thinking of not being a possible victim. Intelligent professionals that I know personally have been scammed; how can I consider myself possible to trick in one way of another? The obvious scams, yes… but we’re all strong at our strongest points, and ultimately as weak as our personal vulnerabilities.

Message 47 of 59
Latest reply

Gift card scam

CORRECTION: impossible to trick…. Not “possible to trick”.

Message 48 of 59
Latest reply

Gift card scam

Same thing has just happened here, Indian/Australian accent. 

They called me from a mobile 

Message 49 of 59
Latest reply

Gift card scam

You have purchased a gift card do you want to cancel. I told him I would sort it out myself. Goodbye

Message 50 of 59
Latest reply