Gift card scam

alf7536
Community Member

I received a call on my mobile this after from a person sounding like an Indian who said that my account will be debited $200 for a gift card that I had ordered. I did not at any time order an eBay gift card. THe phone number indicates that the cal was made from Adelaide but that may also be false. Just be aware, people.

Message 1 of 59
Latest reply
58 REPLIES 58

Gift card scam

It is possibly not a good idea to post the phone numbers.

It may be a genuine mobile number from an innocent person, with the number being provided by a bad actor. Or it may have been jacked by said bad actor…

Message 51 of 59
Latest reply

Gift card scam

Its greed that gets people scammed. They know they did not PURCHASE a gift card but hey a free $299 into the old bank account wont go astray. For your info, returning the phone call does not give them any access to your accounts or details. Only YOU can provide those details or grant them control of your computer when they want you to download their special app. Honestly I really can not believe grown adults fall for this rubbish still.

Message 52 of 59
Latest reply

Gift card scam

@ratman0100 wrote:

For your info, returning the phone call does not give them any access to your accounts or details.

So you'd be willing to return a phone call from a scammer despite the risks that entails.

Not this little black duck..............

"Start me up I'll never stop......"
Message 53 of 59
Latest reply

Gift card scam

What risks? If its a voice call, all it does is show that your number works. You have to supply all the details yourself to get ripped off. All people who get scammed have given their details to the caller.

Message 54 of 59
Latest reply

Gift card scam

I just had the same call, my gift card purchase supposedly $400. They wanted me to download an app which would connect me to eBay servers so they could help me cancel the transaction!!! Very convincing. 

Message 55 of 59
Latest reply

Gift card scam

I have found with these types of calls, don't answer if you don't recognise the number let it go through to message bank that sorts them out. Mostly they won't ring back either. Face it we have caller ID: 

Message 56 of 59
Latest reply

Gift card scam

Very irrelevant

Message 57 of 59
Latest reply

Gift card scam

And is it necessary to drag up these threads just to say   "Oh yeah, I got one of those calls and I..........." ?

Message 58 of 59
Latest reply

Gift card scam

Hi everyone,

Due to the age of this thread, it has been closed to further replies. Please feel free to start a new thread HERE if you wish to continue to discuss this topic.

Thank you for understanding.

Message 59 of 59
Latest reply