Giving a neutral/neg to a seller whose reason for poor performance is probably untrue

I bought and paid for an item almost 3 weeks ago from a seller. The seller has who has a neg, and then follow up comment on the neg from the buyer along the lines that a 'family tragedy' occured as to why it took the seller so long to ship the item.

Seller only marked my item as posted on 6 December. Seller did not message me appologising for the day, nor to explain why it took so long to post.

I have not recieved item. I messaged seller. Seller had 'family tragedy' as reason they had taken almost 2 weeks to post the item.

I suspect the seller is not being truthful. IMHO, sellers who perform that badly shouldn't be on eBay.

Should I neg or neutral them? (I am leaning towards neutral if the item shows up)

Message 1 of 9
Latest reply
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Re: Giving a neutral/neg to a seller whose reason for poor performance is probably untrue

lyndal1838
Honored Contributor

I would give the benefit of the doubt.........don't leave any feedback at all.

View solution in original post

Message 5 of 9
Latest reply
8 REPLIES 8

Re: Giving a neutral/neg to a seller whose reason for poor performance is probably untrue

Well I'm thinking - what if were really true?   If you have a family tragedy, the last thing on your mind would be ebay.

And it's nearly Christmas.    Be kind.

Message 2 of 9
Latest reply

I was thinking the same, it is just possible maybe there was, say a very bad accident which lead to someone's passing a few weeks after the fact. 

Message 3 of 9
Latest reply

Yes, benefit of doubt is always more prudent in such a situation.

image host
Message 4 of 9
Latest reply

lyndal1838
Honored Contributor

I would give the benefit of the doubt.........don't leave any feedback at all.

Message 5 of 9
Latest reply

I think it depends on when that seller had that other negative comment and follow up.

If they had it about 3 or 4 weeks ago, just before or around the time you bought your item, then I would say it is the same family situation that has caused a delay with your sale.

If the negative was eg 6 months ago & they are using the same excuse a second time around, then I have to admit I would wonder if they were just trotting out an excuse. However, it is possible to have 2 things happen in a short time, it has happened to us.

If your item arrives, do as someone else said and just don't leave feedback at all.

If the item doesn't arrive, put in an item not received claim. Tragedy or no tragedy, people can usually attend to some everyday things within a 3 week period, they have to.

I think your item will arrive though.

Message 6 of 9
Latest reply

@springyzone wrote:

I think it depends on when that seller had that other negative comment and follow up.

If they had it about 3 or 4 weeks ago, just before or around the time you bought your item, then I would say it is the same family situation that has caused a delay with your sale.

If the negative was eg 6 months ago & they are using the same excuse a second time around, then I have to admit I would wonder if they were just trotting out an excuse. However, it is possible to have 2 things happen in a short time, it has happened to us.

If your item arrives, do as someone else said and just don't leave feedback at all.

If the item doesn't arrive, put in an item not received claim. Tragedy or no tragedy, people can usually attend to some everyday things within a 3 week period, they have to.

I think your item will arrive though.

Not always. Been there, seen that. None of us like to feel we are being ripped off, but it doesnt hurt to be kind to others sometimes. If they have really suffered a terrible tragedy, the kindness of others is the one thing that can help them through.

Message 7 of 9
Latest reply

Believe it or not, eBay sellers are human beings and as such, have family tragedies, not to mention a life. Sometimes these sellers who are human have things happen, like life. Quite often, family tragedies happen without warning. Maybe the OP got a phone call saying their mother only had an hour to live and they live 2 hours away. In that instance, they would hang up and run straight to the car and not give a hoot about anything. Maybe one of their children had a bad accident and where they are on life support. Again, drop everything and race to the car.

If the said loved one died, then affairs have to be taken care of, oh, like a funeral. Then there's the flood of well meaning friends and relatives, allowing you no alone time. If it was an elderly relative die, then the house might have to be cleared out ready to go on the market. There could be a multitude of reasons why a family tragedy occurs. There's also a multitude of reasons why it could take several weeks to get everything organised to the point where they can do something with eBay.

Message 8 of 9
Latest reply

I've also been there, done that., with a vengeance.

That's exactly why I said that usually, within a 3 week period, some small tasks can be attended to.

The one situation where that may not be true as regards ebay is where a person has had to travel a fair distance & is not at home.

I'm not suggesting a buyer should not be kind or cut a seller some slack. Not at all.

I'm just saying that if an item does not arrive, even after allowing some extra time, then an item not received case can be opened.

Message 9 of 9
Latest reply