Global Shipping Program

Buyers beware of sellers in the USA who are on the Global Shipping Program. I recently bought 4 watches from the same seller in the USA, and when I went to pay, there were 4 shipping costs - $17.70, $17.40, $17.80 and $17.89. (Try and work out why they were all different???). When I asked the seller to combine the posting, he replied that he cannot as the Global Shipping Program does not allow him to combine.

When I messaged eBay about this I received a message back that said in part "The seller doesn't know the import cost since it is the global shipping provider that would determine depending on your location. Thus, the US sellers are not allowed to combine postage." That is a load of crock. THERE IS NO IMPORT COST FOR WATCHES INTO AUSTRALIA. I have imported for the last 2 years.

Talk about getting ripped-off.

Pitney Bowes are the Global Shippers, and their site reads "AFTER you've completed checkout, you can review these charges on the Order Details page. The Order Details page shows the total charges and the payment amounts to the seller and the payment amount that went to the global shipping provider".

The seller posts your item to Pitney Bowes and they forward post it to you.

I read up on this Global Shipping Program and it says that they are not affiliated with eBay, yet eBay obviously gets a kick-back from them. This is what their site reads under "Description of Fees"::

1. U.S. Shipping Fee

2. International Shipping Fee

3. Fuel Surcharge

4. Transportation Fee

5. Parcel Processing Service Fee

6. Distribution Center Management Fee

7. Loss Management Fee

8. Transportation Risk Premium Fee

9. Referral Fee - a variable fee paid by Pitney Bowes to eBay Inc. for referring you to the program.

I wonder, if ever, when eBay will stop it's quest for greed at the expense of the buyers and sellers. There are millions of items sold and bought on eBay every day. When is "enough" enough??

Message 1 of 228
Latest reply
227 REPLIES 227

Global Shipping Program

Indeed, it is quite feasible for a seller to change their listing settings from the default GSP to USPS.

I was recently able to get a seller to change her listing to International Priority Mail, which was 1/3 of the cost and all was fine and dandy, I ended paying a little less and she ended up getting more than she would have if it sold through that program (or locally). So we both won. But it only works when dealing with actual people, as businesses just couldn't be bothered with the workaround. The seller just needed to manually change her shipping on the item from the default GSP, just like you have to manually force PayPal to withdraw funds from your credit card instead of the bank account you created for identification purposes when they asked for 'confirmation' (as if a valid, internationally recognized credit card wasn't enough - You did create an empty account for PayPal identification purposes and made sure you did not give them free access to your personal, private account, did you?)
Message 91 of 228
Latest reply

Global Shipping Program

Funny how customer support justifying outlandish shipping fees and other gouging practices always ends with the formula 'Thank you for so graciously taking it from behind'.
Message 92 of 228
Latest reply

Global Shipping Program

Changing the listing to shipping included after messaging the seller is another way to go, IF they are willing to go through the process. Individual persons like the gracious seller I dealt with yesterday worked with me on this, but I can tell you, most won't because it was a real, time consuming hassle for her, and although she was very nice with me and I helped as much as I could, being bi-nationaI (Canadian/US), I am not sure she will go for it next time she gets another international buyer.

In that sense, eBay won by essentially having turned was used to be an easy process, into a real struggle.
Message 93 of 228
Latest reply

Global Shipping Program

Agreed, padi*0409.

eBay usually wins in that battle because frankly, it's just too time consuming to go though the hassle of changing things when you don't know about it. Only old timers and experienced sellers know about it, and most being large outfits simply don't care. Hence the importance of keeping track of sellers you've been happy with and hope they're still on eBay.
Message 94 of 228
Latest reply

Global Shipping Program

"Thank you for your interest and questions about the global shipping program. The seller does have a choice in whether or not he would like to be involved in the program. If this is something that you guys wish to go outside of the program for, please click on the shopping cart in the top right hand corner of ebay and then click on request total from seller. This will allow him to send you his own invoice and not have it go through the global shipping program.

If the seller still wants to go through the global shipping program, the only other option you have is to ask the seller to cancel all of the listings, list them all together (instead of separately) and then you purchase one new item number. This would allow for you to get a better rate on shipping. I apologize that the shipping costs are so high, we typically suggest that a seller not use the program if the item is less than 1 lbs and under $30."

This eBay employee should get a medal for actually helping out instead of repeating the canned policy responses most of them blurt out and that passes for 'customer service'. I'm taking good note of this for next time. Thanks for posting!
Message 95 of 228
Latest reply

Global Shipping Program

wait wait, so I can not leave feedback for any items sent by GSP?? **bleep**?

Even if the feedback have nothing to do with GSP? 

For example, if I buy a laptop and the seller sends me a box of chocolate, and sent by GSP, the seller is protected from negative feedback??

Message 96 of 228
Latest reply

Global Shipping Program

@kuromusha1 wrote:

wait wait, so I can not leave feedback for any items sent by GSP?? **bleep**?

Even if the feedback have nothing to do with GSP? 

For example, if I buy a laptop and the seller sends me a box of chocolate, and sent by GSP, the seller is protected from negative feedback??

You can leave feedback as usual about the transaction in general but you cannot say for example "Great item but slow & expensive shipping" (referring to the GSP).  You cannot make a comment about the cost of the GSP or the length of time it takes to arrive.

But go your hardest if you get the wrong item.....that is nothing to do with the GSP.

Message 97 of 228
Latest reply

Global Shipping Program

Just out of interest lyndal do you know if the seller gets automatic 5 stars for shipping time and costs with the GSP - I don't use it at all (well very rarely anyway and only for large items) - and I imagine that 3 stars or less for either won't trigger a defect for the seller either.............any ideas on that?

"Start me up I'll never stop......"
Message 98 of 228
Latest reply

Global Shipping Program

I have no idea Padi.   I avoid sellers who use the GSP and have never bothered to find out how it affects their DSRs.

I have used it twice for small items of jewellery and only because the items were very much reduced in price to compensate for the high postage.

It was in the early days of the GSP and both items took forever to arrive but were great.  I expressed my disapproval in the DSRs but heard later that ebay was removing poor star ratings for shipping time and expense.   I have not bought anything since to see if the stars are greyed out now.

One member who might know is afantiques....she still seems to be keeping on top of the GSP and all its faults.

Message 99 of 228
Latest reply

Global Shipping Program

That was a very painless sex-change!  Possibly the Snork Maiden is confusing.

The spiel is that anything less than 5 stars will be removed, but as I am not a GSP seller I have no evidence that this happens.

Anecdotal reports do seem to indicate that if bad FB is not removed automatically a request will get it removed. In theory sellers do not know who gave them low stars,so only ebay would know the truth of this but they do say that if FB is removed any DSRs given are removed at the same time.

Just assume you have to like it or lump it.

Message 100 of 228
Latest reply