Global Shipping Program

Buyers beware of sellers in the USA who are on the Global Shipping Program. I recently bought 4 watches from the same seller in the USA, and when I went to pay, there were 4 shipping costs - $17.70, $17.40, $17.80 and $17.89. (Try and work out why they were all different???). When I asked the seller to combine the posting, he replied that he cannot as the Global Shipping Program does not allow him to combine.

When I messaged eBay about this I received a message back that said in part "The seller doesn't know the import cost since it is the global shipping provider that would determine depending on your location. Thus, the US sellers are not allowed to combine postage." That is a load of crock. THERE IS NO IMPORT COST FOR WATCHES INTO AUSTRALIA. I have imported for the last 2 years.

Talk about getting ripped-off.

Pitney Bowes are the Global Shippers, and their site reads "AFTER you've completed checkout, you can review these charges on the Order Details page. The Order Details page shows the total charges and the payment amounts to the seller and the payment amount that went to the global shipping provider".

The seller posts your item to Pitney Bowes and they forward post it to you.

I read up on this Global Shipping Program and it says that they are not affiliated with eBay, yet eBay obviously gets a kick-back from them. This is what their site reads under "Description of Fees"::

1. U.S. Shipping Fee

2. International Shipping Fee

3. Fuel Surcharge

4. Transportation Fee

5. Parcel Processing Service Fee

6. Distribution Center Management Fee

7. Loss Management Fee

8. Transportation Risk Premium Fee

9. Referral Fee - a variable fee paid by Pitney Bowes to eBay Inc. for referring you to the program.

I wonder, if ever, when eBay will stop it's quest for greed at the expense of the buyers and sellers. There are millions of items sold and bought on eBay every day. When is "enough" enough??

Message 1 of 228
Latest reply
227 REPLIES 227

Global Shipping Program

This program/scam charges massiively inflated import fees on items that do not normally attract a GST because of their shipping value (less than AU$1000) or a duty due to their origin (free trade agreements).

Stay well away from this sh!t.

and.. Here is an example of the huge overcharging on imported items, even when tax is applicable.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Edelbrock-SBC-262-400-Chevy-E-Street-Performance-Aluminum-Cylinder-Heads-...

A pair of USA made, SBC cylinder heads for US$932.90 plus shipping fee of US$113.16. That's a total of US$1046.06.
Ebay has automatically converted that to Australian dollars to (AU$1053.77 + AU$127.82) AU$1181.59. That's using what's very close to the current rate of 88.5 to the US dollar.

AU$1181.59 should only attract AU$118.16 for USA made goods and postage service bringing the landed total to AU$1300.
So, with this Global Shipping Program/Scam, there is a whopping $268.11 charge, in US dollars! An actual AU$302.95.
And.. if you pay via PayPal, the actual conversion rate PayPal use includes a profit margin and is more like 84 cents. PLUS, your bank will also sting you ~2% international currency conversion fee or ~3% if paying via credit card..

So, PayPal has now raised that fee of AU$302.95 to ~AU$315 and now your bank has raised it again to ~AU$322.

$322 charge for what should be just $118 GST.

Message 21 of 228
Latest reply

Global Shipping Program

The cost of buying from the US has gone NUTS because of this stupid system.I saw a CD that was over $20 to ship that used to be around $11! They are killing us buying from the US!

Message 22 of 228
Latest reply

Global Shipping Program

I agree.I am going to do that from now on too! 1 Star for GSP! This is the ONLY way they will pull their heads in.
Message 23 of 228
Latest reply

Global Shipping Program

For Australian buyers, I think you are underestimating the import fees you would pay on an item more than $AU1000. It is not just 10% GST, there is also:

- Customs declaration fee, around $50

- Customs broker fee - varies by broker, but usually around $75

So in the above example of importing cylinder heads, the actual fees paid would be around $250. There is also the fact that when importing an item direct like this, it will be held in customs while they mail out all the paperwork and then wait to receive completed data back from a customs broker. The whole process can take up to a week or more.

In contrast the global shipping program pre-clears everything so your item goes straight through customs and on to you. In my mind the faster delivery and saving the hassle of having to deal with customs direct is worth the extra fee.

Having said all that, it is definately *not* worth the extra cost for items under $AU1000, which would go straight through customs anyway.

Message 24 of 228
Latest reply

Global Shipping Program

Rowen, by far the largest number of posts on the boards are referring to items under $1000 which do not incur any fees, charges and GST.

Those members who are importing goods requiring Customs clearances are usually well aware of it as you are and do not come to the boards to complain.

Message 25 of 228
Latest reply

Global Shipping Program

Same here. Purchased an item on 13th February and it is still not here. The item is a small locket and postage cost in excess of US$30 whereas it should have been around $10 max. I am another that will be avoiding sellers with GSP.

Message 26 of 228
Latest reply

Global Shipping Program

Had a run in with this thing myself, two months ago. Only found out my seller was using it when I let her know I hadn't received my item yet. I didn't know about the wording under what type of shipping is used, as it's the first time I've come across it.

I've bought from the seller numerous times before, here and elsewhere, so know it's not her fault my item hasn't arrived. I bought it around January 17th and it's still not here, and tracking says it arrived at the global place...the third party and still hasn't left the US. My seller suggested I open a dispute and escalate it. Done all that and got my money back. Still waiting on that item, though.

My seller has had nothing but issues with that global shipping program and has now stopped selling internationally (unless it's someone she's dealt with before then she'll personally send it herself, instead of using a third party) as every single one has had the same problem. It gets to that centre, in KY, then stays there. Well mine is still there, apparently according to the only tracking number I was provided with.

Is it compulsory for all US sellers listing internationally, or just an option? I buy often from the US and have only encountered one seller using it, so far. Now I know what wording to look for I'll steer clear of it 😕

Edit: Was replying to the thread in general, not anyone in particular.

Message 27 of 228
Latest reply

Global Shipping Program

[Double post. Oops]

Message 28 of 228
Latest reply

Global Shipping Program

I have been told by many US sellers, that you are automatically 'opted in', and have to un-tick the checkbox for GSP. Sometimes, ebay will get sneaky and opt them back in, so they have to be pretty vigilant when listing sometimes, or end up accidentally using GSP! 

I'm also pretty disgusted by GSP itself - the cost is outrageous, and they have damaged many packages by 're-packing' them to make them cheaper to forward onto buyers, if they forward them on at all, many are deemed 'unshippable', and are sold back on ebay to another buyer after refunding the original buyer, sometimes copying the original listing, which I find extremely inappropriate. Some sellers work hard on their unique templates, and in some cases I would consider them to be stealing intellectual property.

I once nearly bought some vintage hair ribbons, would have cost a couple of dollars in a standard letter envelope, weighing maybe a couple of grams - GSP price: $50!

Message 29 of 228
Latest reply

Global Shipping Program

I was looking for a small cosmetics bag...some sellers were posting them for US$6.95, some using the GSP wanted between US$40.00 and US$64.95

Message 30 of 228
Latest reply