Harvey Norman Tax Time!!

Two days to go. I hope you're looking forward to more $$$ to our Kakistocratic government. I believe Australian's love overregulation. Enjoy. x Smiley LOL

Thank these fellas.

papergc,441x415,w,ffffff.2u2.jpg

1479175824636.jpg

Message 1 of 93
Latest reply
92 REPLIES 92

Harvey Norman Tax Time!!

Kudos to that. Friends should be telling friends who should be telling more friends who is largely responsible for them paying the extra 10%. We most probably will never get that tax to go away now but we can get the old geriatric to go. I will never ever shop there again, no matter what the incitement. Go Hardly Normal, just go away.

Message 71 of 93
Latest reply

Harvey Norman Tax Time!!

Are you kidding?

What makes you think that the GST may go away.....we have had it for 18 years now.

Think yourself lucky that the government has let us get away without paying it on low value imports for all this time.

Message 72 of 93
Latest reply

Harvey Norman Tax Time!!

With so much being able to be done online now, I'm sure it would have happened even if GH had never said a word. Europe started the ball rolling a couple of years ago with their VAT on all digital goods bought from other countries so it's only a matter of time before most countries are doing it. NZ beat Australia to it so did GH push for it over there too?
Message 73 of 93
Latest reply

Harvey Norman Tax Time!!

for posters to say we have the GST on low-cost items solely due to Gerry's lobbying is affording him too much credit.  Governments are always looking to increase their income streams, and expanding the GST scope was always on the cards.

Message 74 of 93
Latest reply

Harvey Norman Tax Time!!

I am sure it is not through some act of generosity the government did not apply GST to low value imports prior to July 1.  Rather it is because as the Productivity Commission concluded in their investigations, it would cost more to administer and collect the tax than the actual amount received.

The "**bleep**ised" system we have now whereby the tax is charged on imports at point of sale is the best solution Treasury could devise in order to keep big business happy.  To the best of my knowledge Australia is the only country that has taken this approach for collecting the tax - others charge it at the border.

Message 75 of 93
Latest reply

Harvey Norman Tax Time!!

@porcelain_dolls_by_me wrote:

To the best of my knowledge Australia is the only country that has taken this approach for collecting the tax - others charge it at the border.

Washington and Pensylvania beat us to it with regards to sales tax on physical goods - other US states are likely to follow.

Message 76 of 93
Latest reply

Harvey Norman Tax Time!!

Europe has been charging GST on digital goods since 2016. NZ has been doing the same (digital goods and services) and they'll soon be including physical goods.

It's definitely cheaper to collect it at point of sale than at customs. NZ says they've got treaties with other countries that allow them to ask for GST to be collected on their behalf so you can bet the Australian govt can also enforce it. If businesses fail to comply I'm sure the govt could easily have their goods stopped at the border, or otherwise stop them selling here.

Message 77 of 93
Latest reply

Harvey Norman Tax Time!!

What nobody seems to grasp is the fact that the majority of the Harvey Norman stores are franchises.
Gerry just sits back and watches the franchise fees roll in with no action needed on his part.   The only variable is how much he can collect from each franchisee as the percentage of their turnover.

I think most people are aware that his stores are franchised.

For the record Gerry Harvey was a very good salesman who gave excellent service....I dealt with him personally back in the 1970s when he was co-owner of Norman Ross at Arncliffe.   I also had a bathroom renovation done through them and when there was a problem (caused by their salesman) he was on my doorstep quick smart and personally oversaw the rest of the job.

Of course he is a good salesman….he sold this idea to the government.

There are 3 HN stores near us whohave the same franchisee in the computer section.   He is fantastic....I have had 3 laptops from him and will not hesitate to go back again.

“He is fantastic” (I’m sure most Australians would agree….Let’s have a Vote?).

Message 78 of 93
Latest reply

Harvey Norman Tax Time!!

Gerry Harvey sold this idea to the Government?   I don't think so.   He made lots of noise but the government was not too interested in doing anything at the time.

And how would most Australians know anything about my local GH franchisee in the computer section?

Try understanding the posts you are answering before jumping in and posting nonsense.

Message 79 of 93
Latest reply

Harvey Norman Tax Time!!

Maybe, but he's the first on TV whining about these things. The irony is that "specials" might be cheap, but everything else is rip off prices.
Message 80 of 93
Latest reply