Have you been scammed by Ebay when accepting a lower price with attached code?

I recently purchased an item on Ebay. In the auction right next to the price was an offer from Ebay that I could get it at a lower final price (and a code was provided for me to use at checkout). I checked the "terms & conditions" as well & I definitely qualified.  I purchased the item, inserted the "correct" code at checkout, but it didn't seem to work. So I proceeded on expecting it to be applied when Paypal payment was finialised. But nope, I was charged full price.

I got it all reviewed by Ebay and they did EVERYTHING they could to deny me my rightful discount, even questioning that a discount was offered in the first place.

I don't know how to get a screenn shot of the offer for my purchase (therefore I can't offer physical proof that the offer was in the auction) ...... the offer only appeared in the auction when I was signed into Ebay. I suspect the offer did not work because of some type of technical issue maybe at the time.

Have you been scammed by Ebay in this way? Were you able to get a successful resolution? it seems the only option I have left now is legal action.

Message 1 of 31
Latest reply
30 REPLIES 30

The trick is to ensure that the discount has been applied PRIOR to paying.

These promotions always include the rider that eBay can end them at any time.

If the code doesn't work at checkout, then it is not going to magically appear at a later time.

Message 2 of 31
Latest reply

The discount offer was present at the precise split second I made the purchase. The chance that they withdrew the offer at the absolute precise split second before I pressed "buy" would be millions to 1.

If there was a "technical" fault in the system that prevented the  "apply" from working, then it would still be illegal for Ebay to later on deny a refund of the discount amount. They were VERY difficult to communicate with, constantly offering "excuses" in an effort to not honour the discount.

Message 3 of 31
Latest reply

It doesn't help for this one but in future, ALWAYS use the cart so you can make sure the discount will apply before you buy and pay.
Message 4 of 31
Latest reply

lyndal1838
Honored Contributor

What was the code you were trying to use?

Message 5 of 31
Latest reply

for a lot of these vouchers there is a condition that the email used for the eBay account is the same one as the PayPal account used for payment.

Do you use the same email address for eBay and PayPal?

Message 6 of 31
Latest reply

"PLANET" ( in the auction next to the Ebay reduced price offer was a link ... when the link was pressed  the code word comes up).

Message 7 of 31
Latest reply

Yes my  email address for Ebay and PayPal are the same.

Message 8 of 31
Latest reply

How much did you pay for the item?

Message 9 of 31
Latest reply

PLANET is only 5% discount and is still current.

Minimum spend $70

https://pages2.ebay.com.au/Buyer_coupons/planet

Message 10 of 31
Latest reply