Help with super nervous seller!

I'm in QLD, I just bought a p/u dehumidifer from NSW, because they had the original packing box. I checked with the seller about the box and that I needed that for the courier. OK so I won the auction and paid for the item which is only $150. Then I booked a courier to collect and sent the seller a courier label to affix to the item. Everyone was happy.

Suddenly today I get a paypal refund as the seller cancelled.

He somehow thinks this is a scam, even though I've sold tens of thousands of dollars worth of stuff over 15 years he thinks this is some elaborate fraud. I ask him what is he worried about he's already been paid, he says he has trawled through the PayPal website and says because I'm picking it up, after it's collected somehow I can change the delivery address and say that I never received it.

I tried to explain that 1. That is not possible, it has a label on it, and 2. Even if it was possible he isn't responsible for the delivery as I picked it up. Then he checked my address and finds out that there's air b&b downstairs so that 'set his alarm bells off', so I said I can scan my drivers license with my address but that's apparently not good enough.

If it wasn't for the fact that he has a box I wouldn't bother. As far as I can see there is not possible way that he can be scammed in the way that he's claiming.

What say you people, if he asks you for advice what would you tell him? I'll refer him to this thread. Any further questions just ask.

Meantime I'll have to cancel the courier for the moment. Which by the way is TNT/Smartsend.

Message 1 of 40
Latest reply
39 REPLIES 39

Re: Help with super nervous seller!

Personally I do not permit buyers to choose a courier service, If I want to deal with a courier service then I would include a courier service in the listing.

Message 2 of 40
Latest reply

lyndal1838
Honored Contributor

Your seller is right to be worried.

As you have made all the arrangements for the courier etc the seller has no proof that he has sent the item or that it has been delivered.

The only safe way to list a pickup item is for the buyer to pay cash when picking it up.....there can be no chance of a dispute or chargeback.  If you have inspected it before paying there can be no chance of an item not as described claim.

Message 3 of 40
Latest reply

You can always offer bank deposit and then the risk comes back on to you but I get the feeling once someone is spooked you may not be able to change their way of thinking.

Message 4 of 40
Latest reply

I don't get this, the courier collects the item then it's tracked all the way to my door. And all that matters to the seller is that the courier has marked it as collected which they do right away.

Then the seller has no further interest, for exampl if the courier drives off a cliff and the item is destroyed, that then becomes my problem not the sellers, because he did not send it.

Isn't this correct.

Message 5 of 40
Latest reply

UPDATE:

I have decided the seller is an idiot, and I will continue my search for something not being sold by an idiot. Not worth the brain damage.

The funny thing is that if someone is unable to tell by looking at my seller feedback that I'm not really likely to try and 'scam' someone for $150 after 15 years on ebay, then they do not have the common sense that will save them from getting scammed by an actual real scammer someday.

I can't believe this.

Message 6 of 40
Latest reply

Pretty smark cookie I'm dealing with here. He has seen through my 15 year plan where I gradually build up perfect feedback selling tens of thousands of dollars of stuff, just so that I can scam him out of $150 in a way that's not even possible.

All that time and planning to carry out my darstardly scheme has come to naught. I have been foiled.

Message 7 of 40
Latest reply

Sorry, but cancelling your purchase does not make the seller an idiot, it does not even reflect badly on the seller.  Scam or not, you wish to use a courier service for your convenience, not the convenience of the seller.   I have cancelled plenty of sales where buyers wish to use there own couriers.   There was one who was given an exceptional discount on the basis of buying five items,  then they  did not like the postage price, so I was expected to spend $40 on packaging and then sit arround waiting for a courier.

Obviously the seller does not want to deal with you or your courier, so move on.

By the way, you are still at liberty to refer your seller to this thread.

Message 8 of 40
Latest reply

@sea.breeze wrote:

UPDATE:

I have decided the seller is an idiot, and I will continue my search for something not being sold by an idiot. Not worth the brain damage.

The funny thing is that if someone is unable to tell by looking at my seller feedback that I'm not really likely to try and 'scam' someone for $150 after 15 years on ebay, then they do not have the common sense that will save them from getting scammed by an actual real scammer someday.

I can't believe this.

According to ebay's help page the following are proof of pick up - not tracking by a courier

Proof of pickup

For proof of pickup, you can use the eBay app to scan the QR code or manually enter the 6-digit code the buyer received after completing their purchase.

To scan the code, go to the Arrange pickup screen on the eBay app and tap the Scan to confirm pickup button. Once you've scanned or entered the buyer's code, the item will be marked as delivered. You'll still need to mark the item as paid if you collect payment at the time of delivery.

If the buyer doesn't have their email with the codes, they can also access the code by going to their Purchase history in the eBay app. Alternatively, a signed receipt/invoice or an eBay message from the buyer confirming they collected the item can protect you against item not received cases.

Offering local pickup | eBay

Message 9 of 40
Latest reply

lyndal1838
Honored Contributor

@sea.breeze wrote:

What say you people, if he asks you for advice what would you tell him? I'll refer him to this thread. Any further questions just ask.

I would tell the seller he has done exactly the right thing.

He would not be the first seller to come to the boards for advice in a similar situation and I doubt that anyone here would recommend any other course of action.

Just because you do not understand how pickup works does not make the seller an idiot but does make you look petty to say so.

Message 10 of 40
Latest reply