How to report a seller who wont sell?

tomfrh
Community Member

The seller is refusing to sell because he's not happy with the final price. He cancelled the sale before I could pay and then relisted it.

How do I report him? The ebay report seller links don't seem to go anywhere.

Message 1 of 50
Latest reply
49 REPLIES 49

Re: How to report a seller who wont sell?

@tomfrh wrote:
I know I canโ€™t force them to sell. And obviously eBay wonโ€™t force them to. (How could they?)

My issue is that if the guy wasnโ€™t happy with that price he should have set starting price higher. Instead I wasted my time bidding on an item when the opening price was merely a lure.

It was only about 10% below average sale price for that item anyway. Itโ€™s not like I scooped a mistakenly listed iPhone for $0.99

It sucks that sellers can bait buyers with fake starting bids and refuse to honour it when they donโ€™t get the price they want. eBay should enforce their rules otherwise it makes a mockery of starting bids. eBay did away with reserve prices for a reason...

I'm sorry that you wasted 15 seconds of your life, that you can never get back. If I could give you back your 15 seconds, I would.

How many items has the seller previously sold? As others have mentioned, if they are a new seller, they probably took notice of eBay's recommendation to start the auction at 99c to encourage more bidders. It's bolded and in your face on the create a listing page. New sellers still think auctions will attract bidding wars, but those days are long gone.

It's only when they get burnt a few times, like with your seller, they realise that starting at 99c isn't such a good idea. Some sellers will still choose to send, like I did, losing a stack of money on items started at 99c auctions. Others choose to cancel. It may not be right, but I can't blame them.

If they continue to list at 99c and continue to either end listings early, or cancel because of only one bid, then eBay will take notice if you keep reporting them. I had one such seller who would end in the last hour because there was only one bid (mine). After this kept happening for months, I reported him a number of times and out of nowhere, all his listings were removed (not ended), and he's never listed again. 

Message 11 of 50
Latest reply

You will come across all sorts of people on eBay (unfortunately) I won't express my opinion in words here of this Seller, in case someone gets offended. I find it rather astounding that other posters here seem to want to defend his actions, while some can't seem to relate to how badly you are feeling  ( I guess you have to experience the same thing to know, like I have)  You have every right to air your grievances, just more disappointing for you that you don't seem to be getting much sympathy on here, just mostly reasons to justify the Seller's actions. So just know that I am fully on your side. There can be no excuses for this Seller's behaviour in my opinion.

Message 12 of 50
Latest reply

@tomfrh wrote:

The seller is refusing to sell because he's not happy with the final price. He cancelled the sale before I could pay and then relisted it.

How do I report him? The ebay report seller links don't seem to go anywhere.

Was the seller quick off the mark?

Usually when you win an auction, you can pay immediately. I can only think the seller was sitting watching for the final price if they were able to jump in and cancel before you could pay.

I am not sure if you are able to give feedback but you can always just give a neg and factually explain why.

Ebay probably is not about to ban the seller, not over one incident. I know it's not ideal but realistically, there are some private sellers who rethink the asking price and who have what I would call seller's regret. To be honest, if I as a seller felt i had seriously misjudged a price, I'd renege too. Sellers should start at the price they are willing to accept. Some just don't. It's not a perfect world, stuff happens.

There will be other items that come up, just give a sigh and move on.

Message 13 of 50
Latest reply

@shoppingbag* wrote:

You will come across all sorts of people on eBay (unfortunately) I won't express my opinion in words here of this Seller, in case someone gets offended. I find it rather astounding that other posters here seem to want to defend his actions, while some can't seem to relate to how badly you are feeling  ( I guess you have to experience the same thing to know, like I have)  You have every right to air your grievances, just more disappointing for you that you don't seem to be getting much sympathy on here, just mostly reasons to justify the Seller's actions. So just know that I am fully on your side. There can be no excuses for this Seller's behaviour in my opinion.

Iโ€™ve had it happen to me, several times.

Ultimately, we are individually responsible for how we โ€˜feelโ€™ when something like this happens to us.  I chose to let it go and move on quickly.  This saved me from feelings of anger, angst and loss.  I donโ€™t consider that a โ€˜valueโ€™ is able to be put on my time bidding on items.  I donโ€™t consider that I have โ€˜lostโ€™ anything when this happens other than an opportunity to get a cheap item.  That โ€˜opportunityโ€™ cannot be quantified other than โ€˜I had an opportunity and I lost itโ€™.  It hasnโ€™t cost me anything, and those who say they lost their โ€˜timeโ€™ are dreaming.

Today, I would ask anyone who has a seller renege on an auction sale to look at the bigger picture when assessing โ€œlossโ€.  Think of the losses due to of drought, fires, floods and pandemics and ask yourself โ€œhave I really lost anything?โ€. If your answer is โ€œyesโ€ then I am wasting my time posting here on this thread.

Message 14 of 50
Latest reply

@springyzone wrote

It's not a perfect world, stuff happens.

OMG springy, you do have a way with words.  I wish I could replace everything I have posted on this thread with your seven word summation of โ€Itโ€™s not a perfect world, stuff happensโ€. 

Message 15 of 50
Latest reply

Smiley Very Happy

Nah, I'm a bit basic I am afraid. Our resident expert with words is countess.Smiley Happy

But thanks anyway.

Message 16 of 50
Latest reply

@springyzone wrote:

Smiley Very Happy

Nah, I'm a bit basic I am afraid. Our resident expert with words is countess.Smiley Happy

But thanks anyway.

yes, countess has a way with words (and I have a secret crush on her, but donโ€™t tell) but I think that the message you convey with just seven words is worth a thousand words from any other poster.

Message 17 of 50
Latest reply

k1000 it is like this. I remember hearing the words of a Holocaust survivor.

He said a lot of people in this world have not learnt to tell the difference between an inconvenience and a real problem.

A cancelled sale is an inconvenience only.

Message 18 of 50
Latest reply

@springyzone wrote:

k1000 it is like this. I remember hearing the words of a Holocaust survivor.

He said a lot of people in this world have not learnt to tell the difference between an inconvenience and a real problem.

A cancelled sale is an inconvenience only.

I couldn't agree more. Sad reality is, people carry on like their life will never be the same because they didn't get that $5,000 item for 99c and free postage. They feel entitled. They feel ripped off and probably violated. They will need to seek the help of a psychologist because they are now so traumatised. They will stop loving their children and feel they never want to leave the house again.

Get over it. There are way bigger issues to worry about than a seller cancelling a sale. While it can be disappointing, it's not the end of the world. 

Message 19 of 50
Latest reply

Is is sad to see that people are so quick to judge another who is complaining because they don't stand in their shoes or have forgotten the feeling of disappointment,and would minimize and ridicule someone else's disappointment. One small problem can seem huge at the moment to the recipient, but when seeking some sympathy, it is so sad to see how many would beat the person down rather than try to lift them up. Someone once said there are only three types of people in this world, those who are up but would beat you down, those who are up and will try to lift you up, and those who are down who will drag you down too. This whole thread has been a real eye-opener to me. Just how mean spirited some can be, while others admit they would renege on deals also. Is it in any way honourable or right to beat someone down when you do not stand in their shoes?

Message 20 of 50
Latest reply