In accordance with Australian business regulations, a confirmation step is required.

sharia7
Community Member

eBay's "buy it now" buttons no longer prompt for confirmation. They instantly finalize the purchase without any "Are you sure" or "confirm this order" step. Had either of these been in place, I would have chosen to decline a recent purchase. It appears that eBay has made alterations designed to encourage impulsive buying. In accordance with Australian business regulations, a confirmation step is required. 

Message 1 of 16
Latest reply
15 REPLIES 15

In accordance with Australian business regulations, a confirmation step is required.

What is your question for other members?

Why hit buy it now in the first place if you were not really going to buy?

Saying 'you would have chosen to decline a recent purchase' makes zero sense

You chose to hit buy it now

Sounds like some playing games was going on

Message 2 of 16
Latest reply

Wrong.  Just used the buy it now tab, then got a choice of payment options, and a CONFIRM PURCHASE  tab.

No change.

Message 3 of 16
Latest reply

Not sure why you would hit Buy it now,  if you didnt want to Buy it now.

But as Gutter said,  definitely still went to payment options, and confirm for my just yesterday.

Message 4 of 16
Latest reply

I had a purchase on Friday or Saturday that missed a step , did not show payment options just went straight to the " we've sent an order confirmation email...." and it freaked me out! Thankfully by Sunday it was back to normal. Temporary glitch??

Message 5 of 16
Latest reply

Make sure you donโ€™t have automatic login enabled for PayPalโ€ฆ I believe you need to log in on the PayPal website, select Security, and disable OneTouch. (Never click โ€œyesโ€ to the โ€œstay logged inโ€ suggestion in PayPal unless you want to EBABLE OneTouch.)

Message 6 of 16
Latest reply

Using the ebay shopping cart is advisable for an unsure shopper - easy to remove items from the cart, or request invoice if committing to buy several items from same seller.

Message 7 of 16
Latest reply

@sandypebbles wrote:

What is your question for other members?

Why hit buy it now in the first place if you were not really going to buy?

Saying 'you would have chosen to decline a recent purchase' makes zero sense

You chose to hit buy it now

Sounds like some playing games was going on

I think thatโ€™s a bit unfairโ€ฆโ€ฆ

Just because one hits the buy-it-now button, doesnโ€™t automatically make it a confirmed purchase! 
No different to taking an article of clothing to the shop assistant counter then changing your mind. 

Itโ€™s the automatic payment bit that I find disturbingโ€ฆ.. because even thatโ€™s a two step process. First choose method of payment, then complete purchase via that payment method. 
I have PayPal automatically linked to my eBay account. Even with my automatic sign in enabled, I still need to verify that I want to make the purchase. 

Anyway, I hope the OP can come back to shed some light. 

Message 8 of 16
Latest reply

Just because one hits the buy-it-now button, doesnโ€™t automatically make it a confirmed purchase! 

Yes it does. That's what buy now means.

As mentioned, the cart is for dithering.

Conflating eBay with a B&M is, at best, a stretch.

Message 9 of 16
Latest reply

Hitting buy it now 100% means committing to buy

The only unfair thing here is the OP thinking it's fine to mess sellers around 

Especially if it is indeed a case of what they have chosen as their settings rather than an eBay glitch 

Message 10 of 16
Latest reply