Is it acceptable that I should have to tend to my 8 year-old child's shock when I search Ebay?

brimarsk
Community Member

Is it acceptable that I should have to tend to my 8 year-old child's shock, and possible seek physhological counselling, when I search Ebay using an utterly innocent and highly appropriate search term such as 'large newtonian balls'? Should Ebay have the right to expose such graphics and imagery to my child? Go ahead! Search the clearly ligitimate term 'large newtonian balls', but DO NOT have your children nearby!!!  I mean, should Ebay NOT have a category that requests sellers to mark their product as SENSITIVE, so as to WARN parents, who have their children sitting with them, while searching for products for them! When you do the search:\

large newtonian balls

make sure you scroll down and have a good look at all the adult parapernalia, and even dare to click the links to find out what OTHER products your children will potentially be seeing!

EBAY = this is NOT ON!     FIX IT!     FAST.

Message 1 of 31
Latest reply
30 REPLIES 30

Re: Is it acceptable that I should have to tend to my 8 year-old child's shock when I search Ebay?

@*tippy*toes* wrote:

@zanadoo_56 wrote:

I freely admit I have no idea what large newtonian balls are in the first place so I did a search.

I'm none the wiser but was impressed with the Bali decorator balls that came up plus other home decorating items.  Re the dildos however.....I had a good laugh.  I presume that's what the OP was annoyed about.

I too had no idea, but was curious, so searched for that term. Got 0 results. Even when I changed the search to worldwide, got 0 results. I removed the word large, and still got zero. Results with less words were mainly parts for telescopes, or telescopes themselves. I can see how an 8yo would be traumatised near to death by those. At 8yo, I would have been too, because I would have WANTED THAT BLASTED TELESCOPE! I would have been traumatised because my mother wouldn't have bought it for me. Dagnabbit!

I understand perfectly - I really wanted a telescope when I was a kid too. Smiley Frustrated

Message 21 of 31
Latest reply

Re: Is it acceptable that I should have to tend to my 8 year-old child's shock when I search Ebay?

Perhaps it was the telescopes that made newtonian's balls look enlargend? 

I wonder if OP was looking for a Newton's cradle ?

Message 22 of 31
Latest reply

@chameleon54 wrote:

I,m with 4channel on this one. There should be a simple way to screen out explicit listings from searches for those who don't want to see them. Perhaps only show them when certain categories are searched.

Its not just kids. There are plenty of adults who are offended by them. Personally I couldn't care less, but it takes allsorts and it doesn't hurt to respect the views of others, even if we don't agree with them. Often its religious based. Whatever floats your boat if its not affecting me.

It seems to be a regular theme, so what is the problem with restricting adult entertainment items to searches in specific categories ?

Children should be protected from adult content and a business or organisation should do what it can to make sure that they are. The "They shouldn't be looking on eBay" or "There's the 18 year old rule" just isn't good enough.

I hear what you say and  I agree. I'm an just average knock off of the mature-aged red blooded male. I've been told that I have an eye for the ladies. And if I like ladies that look like Pam Grier, Caroline Munro and Raquel Welch in their prime, in swimsuits or without is just fine! But, I don't want  semi-explicit sex images thrown at me. If I didn't ask for it then I shouldn't have to be bombarded with it.

So the below sentence makes absolute sense.

It seems to be a regular theme, so what is the problem with restricting adult entertainment items to searches in specific categories ?

Message 23 of 31
Latest reply

@sandypebbles wrote:

Perhaps it was the telescopes that made newtonian's balls look enlargend? 

I wonder if OP was looking for a Newton's cradle ?

Yep.  Already mentioned that back at post # 5

It helps if they get the termninology correct in the first place.

Message 24 of 31
Latest reply

Dont be like Bob | Be Like Bill | Know Your MemeDon't be like Bill: Facebook meme can expose your data, how to protect  yourself - al.com

Message 25 of 31
Latest reply

I still get zero results.............

Message 26 of 31
Latest reply

So did I Tippy.

Trouble is, the OP kept scrolling on that zero result page, and got rewarded with something they objected to.

Message 27 of 31
Latest reply

@imastawka wrote:

Springy, go to My ebay > recently viewed.

There's a tab on the right  'Clear all'

It will ask you to confiem.....Simples

Thanks Stawka.

What i would really like though is a tab so  I can delete only specific items as I don't really want to clear all. I sometimes find it useful to quickly find something I have looked at. I know I could put everything in the watched list but sometimes I don't and later think-now what was that other one I looked at?

Message 28 of 31
Latest reply

go-tazz
Community Member

@brimarsk wrote:

Is it acceptable that I should have to tend to my 8 year-old child's shock, and possible seek physhological counselling, when I search Ebay using an utterly innocent and highly appropriate search term such as 'large newtonian balls'?

That was YOUR choice and if you had searched for newtonian balls you would not have been shown the other items as the large newtonian balls returned a zero number of results so maybe improve your search parameters to things that are more appropriate.

Should Ebay have the right to expose such graphics and imagery to my child? Go ahead! Search the clearly ligitimate term 'large newtonian balls', but DO NOT have your children nearby!!! 

They have every right to show items that can be shown to people aged 18 and over.

I mean, should Ebay NOT have a category that requests sellers to mark their product as SENSITIVE, so as to WARN parents,

They DID as that's how it was set up in the US as Aus didn't have an adult category.

They found out that it didn't work as ADULTS would click past the warning screens and then complain that they shouldn't be able to and when told they had to be over 18 to use eBay they complained that lots of people that use eBay aren't over 18 and they wanted it fixed.

eBay's simple reply was that if there were things on the site that upset them then they should just close their accounts.

who have their children sitting with them, while searching for products for them! When you do the search:\

large newtonian balls

Don't have children look on a site where you have to be 18 to be a member.

make sure you scroll down and have a good look at all the adult parapernalia, and even dare to click the links to find out what OTHER products your children will potentially be seeing!

So you got ZERO results but then YOU choose to look further to see what else was there and therefore it was YOUR choice to show your CHILD the rest.

EBAY = this is NOT ON!     FIX IT!     FAST.

If you are not happy then just close your account.good.gif

Message 29 of 31
Latest reply

@imastawka wrote:

Dont be like Bob | Be Like Bill | Know Your MemeDon't be like Bill: Facebook meme can expose your data, how to protect  yourself - al.com

Tabitha is on the shopping go round and she sees something that is disgusting and racist and she speaks to her partner Jake about it. Jake said to  forget it and just move on.

Pratibha is on the same street and comes past that shop. She sees the same thing and is alarmed!  She speaks to her boyfriend Lars about it. Lars says ....  "Hey, that's totally uncool. I'm going to do something about this and this joint needs a wake up."

After a while when more of the Pratibha and Lars types take action, the shop is forced to lift their game.

The Reverend Dr. Martin Luther King achieved amazing things when people spoke out and did something. That should never be forgotten.

BTW: If anything can be done to protect kids from adult sexual content or whatever then why not do it. In the bigger picture there's more to gain than lose.

Message 30 of 31
Latest reply