Is this a reasonable return request?

I bought a dress (used) in good condition, but, the darts are sewn on the outside of the dress, overlocked with threads hanging off and the back zip is sewn in on the wrong side of the dress. When I first got it, I thought that it was inside out, but the side seams are sewn the correct way. The seller claims that this is a design feature of this 'very expensive' dress, which I bought cheaply.

It may well be a design feature, but was not mentioned in the listing and I think if it is a design feature, it is quite a different feature and should have been mentioned. I have looked at the photos again and now that I know the dress has an inside out look, I can tell, if I zoom on those parts, but I would never have thought to check whether the  darts and zip have been sewn on the right side.

She has refused the return and accused me of buyers remorse and is very insulted that  I didn't like her 'very expensive' dress.

I could never wear it. People would look at me and think 'that poor old lady has her dress on inside out'.

I have never returned anything before.

What to do now?

Message 1 of 56
Latest reply
55 REPLIES 55

Re: Is this a reasonable return request?

Well, there you go. When I got it, I just thought that is was sent inside out, but no,  I cant wear it inside out, because the side seams are sewn on the right side. So if I were it right side out, the zip is quite roughly sewn in on the outside, the darts are on the outside with threads hanging off from overlocking (you cannot cut overlocked threads off, they just unravel and leave more threads)in and if I turned it inside out I would have raw seams on the outside of the side seams;

I am not disputing that this may be a design feature at all, I think that it should have been mentioned in the listing. I think that it should have been made clear and clearer photos should have indicated it. My seller has a no return policy. 

And to whomever said that I only paid $20 dollars for it, I would have just accepted it and thought, "well that was a bad buy" but when I contacted the seller after I received it,  and asked about a return, she stated that she does not accept returns under any circumstances.  I don't think that cuts it.

And I have seen those dresses with unfinished seams, but normally, they are floaty things. This dress is of a classic style. 

Message 21 of 56
Latest reply

@curraone wrote:

@ajarnjenny wrote:

Would you wear this? This is the right side.

Yes I would if I was 20 and gorgeous - it is probably a great fashionable dress

But because I am old and ugly, I would just accept that I didn't look carefully enough at the listing, i wouldn't take it out on the seller;  I would then re-sell it at a much higher price than I paid for it - GREAT FASHION DRESS WITH INSIDE OUT SEAMS - VERY IN!  

Smiley Very Happy

No. A young woman would not buy that dress. It is not a young woman's style. Inside out or not.

Message 22 of 56
Latest reply

A follow up to this thread. I was refunded my purchase in a courtesy decision by Ebay, meaning that the seller was not at fault. That pleases me. because I really did not want tpo damage her or her business but, I feel she could have accepted my return, without me having to make a case out of it. But it is what it is.

But now, she is sending me message constantly (5 at the time of writing this) to tell me that feedback is due and telling me that if I leave neg feedback, Ebay have assured her that they will remove it. I have left no feedback and do not intend to.

What is that about? If I were her, I am pretty sure that I woul not tempt fate, by insisting on feedback.

Message 23 of 56
Latest reply

The silly woman is definitely tempting fate, and she's also quite obviously lying when she says that eBay will remove negative feedback if you leave it. Like you, I wouldn't be leaving any feedback either, but if I was forced to, it certainly wouldn't be positive because the transaction was quite clearly not a positive experience from your point of view. If you were to email her and tell her that, it's highly likely that you'll never hear from her again.
Message 24 of 56
Latest reply

The seller needs to look at their dashboard. It dosen't matter if the buyer leaves a neg now because the seller will already have a defect for that transaction. (Cannot get 2 defects for one transaction).

The fact eBay stepped in - automatic defect for the seller. One black mark, a few more and they will be restricted from selling.

So the buyer got their 'revenge' after all.

Message 25 of 56
Latest reply

I was never after revenge in any way. I wanted to return the dress for a refund. I don't think that that is unreasonable. It could have been done without opening a return for refund case.

Message 26 of 56
Latest reply

@ajarnjenny wrote:

I was never after revenge in any way. I wanted to return the dress for a refund. I don't think that that is unreasonable. It could have been done without opening a return for refund case.

if a seller has a no returns policy for change of mind purchases then IMO it is unreasonable to expect them to accept a return.

Under consumer law no shop or seller has to accept returns for change of mind.

Message 27 of 56
Latest reply

Curtesy decision Hah..what that means is that if buyer decides its not as described, true or not, then ebay refund buyer as buyers are always right and sellers are always wrong..that is the new Ebay policy to allow buyers to rip off sellers.

2 things,

seller has a no returns policy, you should have noted this before you bought. I have a returns policy that allows items to be return for any reason. So I would have allowed returns. But that is my choice not a buyers right. There are always risks buying sight unseen, either choose to carry those risks or choose sellers who have offered to carry them for you. Dont force your risk unasked onto sellers

If seller is not at fault and you dont want to live with the consequence of sight unseen you could have done the right thing to offer a compensated return so seller is not out of pocket or inconvenienced. Seller is not obliged to accept.

As you raised an item not as described request seller has now received a defect due to no fault of their own. No wonder they are peeved.

Not as described means the description is wrong, not that they haven't decribed every little design detail. I have many dresses in my store that are designed this way, It is a normal design feature.

bbl

-------------------------------

ASSUMPTION IS THE MOTHER OF ALL STUFF UPS!!
Message 28 of 56
Latest reply

It seems you got what you wanted. A defect for the seller, the dress and the refund. I bet you're feeling quite pleased with yourself now. Why don't you top it off with a big red dot for the seller and trash her stars while you're at it? That will be the cherry on the cake.

The seller had photos, you looked at the photos, you bought the dress. That should have been the end of it. There is a zoom feature on photos for a reason. I suggest in future you use it.

Are you going to send the dress back now you've got a refund? I already know the answer to that......

Message 29 of 56
Latest reply

Um....one of the photos shows the zipper stitched to the outside and the darts.

Even without zoom.

Message 30 of 56
Latest reply