Item not received, no insurance

I bid for an item in the UK and it was being sent airmail. It was over 20 pounds for postage which did not include insurance. The seller did say it was my responsibility. I have not received the item as yet and it has been 2 weeks. If I don't have it in another week, can I claim back from Paypal or do I have to bear the cost of having paid for an item which hasn't got here?

Message 1 of 22
Latest reply
21 REPLIES 21

Re: Item not received, no insurance

It is way too soon to even think about a claim yet. Even at slow times of year parcels from the UK can take up to four weeks to arrive and now it is Christmas it may be longer.

My younglings posted my Christmas parcel two weeks ago and there is no sign of it yet, it may not even get here in time for Christmas even though it was posted on the last day Royal Mail advised for posting to Aus.

See what a trendsetter I am?
Message 11 of 22
Latest reply

I have recently bought an irem from the UK on the 25th Nov. it arrived on the 4th Dec. Postage for Australia $10.96, UK postage is free. A mans shirt, tie and cufflinks, all neatly in a shirt-box, large enough to hold a handbag.

It does not take four weeks for Airmail from the UK. I have regular Airmail going to and comming from the UK and would be concerned after three weeks. I know that Xmas mail delivery is slow, and a few parcels disappear, ?:|  but don't leave it too long to make a claim. Being able to provide tracking is the responsibility of the seller.

Erica 🙂

Message 12 of 22
Latest reply

I know it is the seller's responsibility - of course I know that but the buyer agreed to accept responsibility in lieu of the cheaper shipping. Does that agreement mean nothing? I, personally, would never have offered that option, but this seller did, and the buyer agreed. It's a pretty crook world when you can say one thing and do another 😞

Also I am not saying UK to Australia postage takes 4 weeks. I said allow 4 weeks. Still plenty of time to open a dispute if needed and wanted.

Message 13 of 22
Latest reply

In regard to the mutual agreement, I agree with you, ABR.

There was a time when a handshake and a promise was honoured regardless of the outcome.

I think that was the OPs original intention.

Erica 🙂

Message 14 of 22
Latest reply

lyndal1838
Honored Contributor

The seller did not have to use Airsure just to get insurance and tracking.

The ordinary airmail service can have tracking and insurance added by using International Signed For, which is cheaper.

Message 15 of 22
Latest reply

But do wait 4 weeks at least; this time of year mail is slow.  I am waiting for couple of items from UK, from very trustworthy sellers and it has been more than 4 weeks since they were posted.  I would not start dispute until the 43rd day and even then I would wait for another week before escalating.

000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000

Voltaire: “Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities, Can Make You Commit Atrocities” .
Message 16 of 22
Latest reply

Take

Post 3 “Paypal is your insurance, registered is theirs”.

And

Post 6 “If you paid via PayPal, you have insurance”.

Now add the following extract from the PayPal Buyer Protection Policy

1.3. If your purchase meets the requirements for the PayPal Buyer Protection Policy we will attempt to recover your payment from the seller, ie to attempt to reverse the transaction. 

1.5.. ...The PayPal Buyer Protection Policy does not indemnify you for loss which may incur and it is not a contract of insurance. 

1.6...... If the seller presents evidence for an Item Not Received claim that they shipped the goods to your address, we may find in favour of the seller even if you did not receive the goods. 

Then add the link in the definitions section of the agreement under the Heading “Proof of Shipping”

A receipt from Australia Post showing at least the recipient's suburb, city or postcode (or international equivalent)

Op here is the reality you now confront.

The item which was being sent was your property and you, to cut costs chose not to insure it.

As the item is a parcel a customs declaration would have been required and that declaration on its own is proof it was posted.  In the alternative, if no customs declaration was required, as long as  seller has a Royal Post Receipt, this in itself is proof sufficient for PayPal purposes that the item had been sent..

Once the seller has proved postage you have no right of recovery against the seller, and as PayPal buyer protection is not insurance, all your left with is the hope that PayPal might “at it absolute discretion” a discretionary payment, but the indications are that they are becoming more and more reluctant to do so.

Message 17 of 22
Latest reply

Last year I purchased something at the end of Nov from the UK, it arrived at the end of Jan - posted by airmail.

Customs are busy this time of year, give it some time.

Message 18 of 22
Latest reply

If you purchased through the UK site then the item is covered by ebay's buyer protection applicable to the UK site not Paypal buyer protection so perhaps it may be worthwhile reading the policies there if that is the case.

See what a trendsetter I am?
Message 19 of 22
Latest reply

rajusyd9
Community Member
I buy a item nearly 1 month it was 8.9 total two they debit from my account 36.90and takes extra 3$ it’s supposed to come from uk due date gone , I cannot communication sailor or eBay, how can I contract with eBay pls,
Message 20 of 22
Latest reply