Items smell very strongly of Mothballs/ naphthalene

Hi everyone, I bought a set of suitcases from a seller that I has purchased from before with no problems. 

this time however, there is an incredibly strong smell of mothballs in the suitcases. I have opened them up and aired them outside for a day, (inconvenient because the dog needs to be kept away from them ) but the smell is still so strong it is making my eyes water and my nose run. 

Live googled and it says to use Lavender oil to get rid of the smell, but the problem is that 1. I don't have any at hand and 2. I was hoping to use the suitcases for my holiday next week. But there is no way the smell will be gone by then and there is no way I'm putting my clothes and personal things in those very stinky suitcases. 

The seller has suggested airing them out, which is what I've already tried. 

What is a good solution? My previous purchase of suitcases from this seller had no mothball smell and were able to be used immediately, this new lot is making me feel sick!! 

Message 1 of 33
Latest reply
32 REPLIES 32

Re: Items smell very strongly of Mothballs/ naphthalene

@*tippy*toes* wrote:

Or a Bison watching TV..........

I would NOT want be in there when there was a cowboy movie on and that beast got into the swing of things.........Yikes.

Spoiler
Nor would I want to see a moth with nurries his size................f_run.gif

Edit. G'day Dave. 

"Start me up I'll never stop......"
Message 21 of 33
Latest reply

G'day padster

Message 22 of 33
Latest reply

They were a gift to my son and he's using them, so I thought I'd get myself a set as well.
They've been outside airing but still reek..... urgggg!
Message 23 of 33
Latest reply

@ineke713 wrote:
They were a gift to my son and he's using them, so I thought I'd get myself a set as well.
They've been outside airing but still reek..... urgggg!

what? The horses, bison, elephant, mattress, suitcases or saddles????

Message 24 of 33
Latest reply

Well its better than mothball smell. Its common knowledge that joss sticks will get rid of ANY unpleasant odour.
Message 25 of 33
Latest reply

@padi*0409 wrote:

@*tippy*toes* wrote:

Or a Bison watching TV..........

I would NOT want be in there when there was a cowboy movie on and that beast got into the swing of things.........Yikes.

Spoiler
Nor would I want to see a moth with nurries his size................f_run.gif

Edit. G'day Dave. 

That's actually a true picture. The bison featured on one of those animal shows a few years back. He just comes and goes as he pleases. He lays down in front of the lounge, which means no-one can sit on the lounge!

Spoiler
As opposed to Esther the Pig. She takes over the whole lounge!
Message 26 of 33
Latest reply

@michellebartley wrote:
Well its better than mothball smell. Its common knowledge that joss sticks will get rid of ANY unpleasant odour.

I disagree. They don't get rid of joss stick odour, which IMO is far more unpleasant than naphthalene.

Message 27 of 33
Latest reply

@*tippy*toes* wrote:

That's actually a true picture. The bison featured on one of those animal shows a few years back. He just comes and goes as he pleases. He lays down in front of the lounge, which means no-one can sit on the lounge!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It's a real shame I didn't get a pic of the time Spitty the Paccie discovered my lounge room - all was good until she found the floor tiles on the way out.   willy_nilly.gif

michelle there are very few incense sticks that I can stand - to me most of them smell like mossie coils...............

"Start me up I'll never stop......"
Message 28 of 33
Latest reply

As kids, we used to go to my great aunts place over the Christmas holidays. Hot summer nights, windows wide open, no gauze screens. Mozzie city. We would always have mozzie coils burning, which seemed to do a good job. I really liked the smell of them back then. I think they changed the ingredient list because they don't smell like they used to any more. It was probably some really toxic chemical they removed that I liked the smell of!

I've got some good animal inside pics.

Message 29 of 33
Latest reply

@michelle

hey michelle, seeing as the Opening Poster is relatively new to the boards (going by their post count) they are going to think your post was in reply to them.

Hereโ€™s an idea . . . . . . . if you are posting from a smart phone, use an โ€œ@memberIDโ€ at the start of your post . . . . . . . like I have . . . . . . so that anybody who reads your post on a mobile OR desktop will know who you are replying to.

I know this is only a new thing I am asking of you, but I think it will make your posts make more sense!

Spoiler
takes tongue out of cheekEE458324-1809-48B5-B4B6-612475CEF537.jpeg

Message 30 of 33
Latest reply