Paypal refund

Hi Everyone,

Just a question plz.

Last Monday I won an auction for an item and paid for it using paypal, I received the item on Friday but it's  defective and doesn't work as it should. I contacted the seller and opened a request to return the item case. The seller accepted the return and has already refunded on Saturday as I saw a refund transaction for the amount I paid in my paypal acc but it (that amount) is not in my bank credit card acc - not sure if because of the weekend - the transaction hasn't been updated in the bank system yet or if any other issue? I need to ensure I receive the refund before sending back the item. Thanks in advance.

Message 1 of 27
Latest reply
26 REPLIES 26

Re: Paypal refund

Just a question - have you opened a case within eBay - not with the seller. ??

If not do it immediately.

Message 11 of 27
Latest reply

Usually eBay requires you to send the item back and see proof that it has been delivered before the refund is issued. Once the seller has received the item they have 4 days to issue the refund and they must provide a postage label(or otherwise pay for postage) up front.

Message 12 of 27
Latest reply

What does the email you received from PayPal say?

When I receive a refund (from eBay and from everywhere else) the email from PP says:

The money has been refunded to your VISA *******. It may take a few days to appear on your statement.

Normally it appears within 24 hours, but it "may" take longer. The money is refunded to your original source of payment. If you had a 0 balance in your PP account when you paid and PP took the money from your cc (that's usually my case for example), you won't see the balance in PP.

Keep checking of course, as you have already said you will do. 👍 Let us know how it goes. It should be OK I think. Today is the first business day after all.

Message 13 of 27
Latest reply

Refunds will not process over the weekend and the earliest it will clear is tuesday. Most refunds will take 2-5 business days depending on how they are processed. As mentioned check your email for the paypal refund which will have more information.

Message 14 of 27
Latest reply

I opened the case thru ebay and yes, normally once a seller accepts the return he should buy/print out the return label and wait until he receives it back, but this seller issued the refund straight away after I opened the INAD case which is good, the only issue at the moment is I still haven't got that refund in my credit card account where it was debited and also it is not in my paypal account as my paypal account has $0.00 balance at the moment. But as others have said it may take 5 business days for it to appear. I will wait for it and also wait for the seller to organise a return postage label in the mean time. Thanks.Refu2.PNG

Message 15 of 27
Latest reply

I see the refund was done via ebay and I find these take a few business days.

Message 16 of 27
Latest reply

@spider_xo wrote:

No the seller didn't send me a return label, he asks me to send it back to his address and he will reimburse me for the postage fee later...

I saw the refund transaction in my paypal acc but my paypal has $0.00 balance. I think it means that that refund amount has been transferred back to my credit card acc but that refund amount is not in my credit card acc... so it's a worry!

OMG, I see that in your later posts, you have shown the purchase was for $1290.

I'd have the wind up too.

I was surprised earlier that a seller would refund before getting an item back & now, at that price point, I am astounded.

I absolutely would do as others suggest and go only through an official ebay claim now.

Don't close it for anything, no matter what the seller says.

You should also insist on a return label for postage. This idea of you posting back and being refunded for postage 'later' is risky.

And as for your money not showing up anywhere yet. I has assumed it was in your paypal account. Okay, from reading other comments, it seems that if it is refunded to paypal it gets sent to your CC acount. Fair enough. But surely paypal would have some summary of the transaction? eg $1290 refund from xyz'? I honestly don't know except a while back my sis in law bought something using paypal( credit card payment) and had occasion to get a refund for it (not via ebay) and the record of it showed up immediately in her paypal  account.

Keep an eye out for that payment. Even if the seller issues you with a postage label to print, you get a couple of weeks in which to post it back, you don't have to do it immediately. So you have time.

Please let us know how this pans out. Good luck.

Message 17 of 27
Latest reply

Thanks you all for your replies and yes I think I got everything done properly, ie, an INAD case open thru ebay and is waiting for the seller to send me the return postage label and also be sure I have the refund money in my CC account b4 I send the item back. 

What I have got at the moment is just a record of a transaction in my paypal acc saying that the refund has been issued but my paypal has $0.00 balance and that refund amount of $1290 is not in my bank CC acc either... Just hope that refund is somehow being delayed in processing by the bank and will appear in my bank account soon... I will keep you updated ... Thanks.Refu3.PNG

Message 18 of 27
Latest reply

The seller sold 10 items in 20 years... Just an occasional seller - maybe he just didn't follow the right procedure. He should have read more about selling of course and what to do when somebody opens a return case. The moment you sell even one item, you should know the rules, but I wouldn't really be worried for now, and the OP knows what to do.

Message 19 of 27
Latest reply

Your refund would not have been processed by your bank over a weekend.

Give it a couple of days to show.

Also when/if there is a return label - make sure it covers ' tracked ' post.

Very important to have proof of returning the item.

Message 20 of 27
Latest reply