Pitney Bowes

Hi all just want some advise about Pitney Bowes.

Purchased an item from a US seller 190994128640 postage was around 105 US on the ad

when it finsihed the seller got back to me and said it was going to be 127 odd and thats fine as I thought 105 was a bit cheap

So I asked him to create a new invoice and he could'nt, something to do with the global shipping program I think he sent me what it said, anyway I said thats fine paid the invoice and paid the difference via paypal, so far all good.

This is the first seller I have come across that has global shipping program and I buy a bit from the US

This morning he emails me and said there must be some mistake as he didn't get all the money, basically 61 was taken by pitney Bowes, I explained this to him and he doesn't seem to know whats going on, what is the procedure at their end with pitneys now?

I suggested he refund and create a new invoice for direct shipping or to a US address I can use but I don't think he knows how.

I would prefer a new invoice via USPS but know all I can see is a mess.

Any advise moving forward?

Thanks.

Message 1 of 57
Latest reply
56 REPLIES 56

Pitney Bowes

Pitney Bowes apparently is only convenient for bulky, heavy items, but makes the postage of small items like decorations (in your case) ridiculous. Apparently sellers were opted into this program automatically and not many realize how much we have to pay. Some sellers have specifically told me so (that they had no idea it would be so expensive). I really hope sellers will soon start to offer both options (normal and GSP) because it is really frustrating to see that the postage is often double, or even 3 or 4 times the amount of the item and to have to close the tab... I mean, I think sellers should at least know/be informed by eBay that it is extremely expensive, as they now have less bidders from overseas (and also less buyers).

It is only useful for big, heavy items (apparently even cheaper than normal postage), or also for items that would require to pay more at Customs, as it is all included, but for normal items it is just useless and will only drive people away. Nobody is going to pay 40 dollars postage for a CD that costs only 10 dollars for example... It is absurd.

Anyway, if you search the forum there are quite a few threads about the GSP and Pitney Bowes...

Message 32 of 57
Latest reply

Pitney Bowes

mariq, if the buyer has to pay Customs Duty on an item (over AU$1000) it will be the same amount whether it is paid through Pitney Bowes or direct to the Australian Customs when it arrives here.

The only difference is that PB collects the money from the buyer at the time they pay the shipping charges and pays it to Customs on the buyer's behalf.  It saves the buyer having to go through all the rigmarole of paying before they will release the item when it gets here.   There is no difference in the amount to be paid.

Message 33 of 57
Latest reply

Pitney Bowes

Yes, the amount is the same, but I thought the difference is that if you use Pitney Bowes all possible charges are included (you don't have to pay any additional charges at any stage or do anything), while with normal postage sellers usually say that the buyer is resposible for any additional charges, so the price is lower because such theoretical charges are not included. The items I bought on eBay from overseas were always under $1000 and never incurred any additional charges, so for me normal postage is definitely more convenient. 

What I mean is, I thought that PB basically adds a theoretical charge at Customs to ALL items, but then if there isn't they don't give you anything back? Is that so?

Message 34 of 57
Latest reply

Pitney Bowes

No mariq.   You only pay Pitney Bowes for the postage cost of an item that does not attract Customs duty.  If it does attract duty you will pay a lot more.

For example, if you buy an item worth $150 with $40 postage you will pay PB a total of $190.

If you buy an item worth $1050 with $40 postage you will pay PB $1090 PLUS $xxx which is the amount that PB estimates the duty to be.  They will then pay the amount of the duty to customs on your behalf.

Message 35 of 57
Latest reply

Pitney Bowes

OK, thanks. I thought PB might be so expensive because it includes all charges.

They just do all the paperwork for you. but you still have to pay additional charges.

Message 36 of 57
Latest reply

Pitney Bowes

@juliwat9 wrote:
I spent $207.72 on eBay and Pitney Bowes also took $102.43
So for a few decorations for my daughters baby shower has cost me over $300 Australian dollars

Hi juliwat9, that's horrible! Not fair and you want something nice for an event so precious andf important as a baby shower and you pay a herfty sum like this. It saddens me to see people paying though the nose like you did.

How can this be justified?

Some sellers are unable to cancel and relist all as a bundle. Also by the time the seller sees your request to cancel multiple listings and sell in one lump, someone else can snap them up.     Smiley Sad

Pitney Bowes is very user unfriendly and a pay-through-the-nose kind of thing. A scam? Well, I have to agree with the many people who have used that description.  

Message 37 of 57
Latest reply

Pitney Bowes

The eBay Global Shipping Programming is seriously bad. From my experience, it basically trebled the shipping cost. Avoid sellers using the GPS even though in most cases the sellers themselves do not appear to be aware of the additional postage costs levied on the buyer.

eBay and Pitney Bowes need to seriously reconsider their charges for the GPS ... it's nothing but a top off

Message 38 of 57
Latest reply

Pitney Bowes

@johari99 wrote:

The eBay Global Shipping Programming is seriously bad. From my experience, it basically trebled the shipping cost. Avoid sellers using the GPS even though in most cases the sellers themselves do not appear to be aware of the additional postage costs levied on the buyer.

eBay and Pitney Bowes need to seriously reconsider their charges for the GPS ... it's nothing but a top off

If you're going to use the GSP in the future try reading this thread, it may save you some heartache.

https://community.ebay.com.au/t5/Buying/Global-Shipping-Program-put-into-perspective/td-p/2165256/pa...

"Start me up I'll never stop......"
Message 39 of 57
Latest reply

Pitney Bowes

@johari99 wrote:

Hi johari99, I hear you and feel your pain. I have missed out on some great opportunities due to the exorbitant blow out cost of postage.

Here are 2 threads that give an idea of how it negativly affects us.

Global Shipping, the problems are never ending, everyone loses in the long run.

https://community.ebay.com.au/t5/Buying/Global-Shipping-the-problems-are-never-ending-everyone-loses...

My latest experience with the horrid Global Shipping which was hiding under a stone (so to speak)

https://community.ebay.com.au/t5/Buying/My-latest-experience-with-the-horrid-Global-Shipping-which-w...

Message 40 of 57
Latest reply