Purchased item not working

Hi, I purchased a keyboard for my ipad on 08/03/2021 and after a while (14/6/2021) the item started to mistype keys etc.  I sent the seller a message advising same and had no reply.  I sent another message on 19/06/2021 and still have not had a reply.  The keyboard is not not being recognised by Bluetooth and I cannot use it.  I have since sent another message today and shall see what happens but do not believe it will be replied to.

I read the eBay policy and the 30 day period is over for money back.  I cannot even leave feedback now.  Surely this device would be still covered after not working in 3 months.  

First time I have had a seller not respond to emails.  I suspect the sellers ratings have been manipulated given my experience. 

Is there anything else I can do, I pad via paypal but I did receive the item, it just does not wok anymore.

thanks

Message 1 of 24
Latest reply
2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions

Re: Purchased item not working

Okay, here is what I would do. I'd open a case in paypal & I would simply state that you were sent a keyboard that was faulty.

I would not go into details about when the faults showed up & in fact if asked, I'd simply say that it looked fine on arrival but some of the keys were showing problems immediately you first started to use it, the situation has deteriorated even further and you have had no replies from the seller to your messages.

That would be your best bet for getting a refund. And no, it is not entirely honest.

But then again, these Chinese sellers are not entirely honest either. They often sell stuff they state has a warranty, knowing full well that Australian buyers haven't a hope of ever making a claim on said warranty.

There is a good reason these sellers can have a 100% feedback rating. First off, feedback rating is only for feedback over the last 12 months so any negs prior to that won't show in the %. You can still read them but you'd have to scroll back.

Secondly, feedback is only possible within 60 days. That means that there could be others like yourself who buy things that are fine for a while but break down after eg 90 or 150 etc days, well after the time for feedback has expired. The seller is ignoring you because they know your time to make an ebay claim has expired and they know you can't do anything, even if the item supposedly had a warranty.

I believe though that a person who has left feedback can give a follow up comment after this time, so if you gave it a positive originally, you can still go back and leave another comment under it. I would not do this yet though if you have a paypal claim open.

I don't know if a paypal claim will work but they do allow claims for up to 180 days so it is worth a try.

View solution in original post

Message 16 of 24
Latest reply

@gr8mate2 wrote:

Hi, I purchased a keyboard for my ipad on 08/03/2021 and after a while (14/6/2021) the item started to mistype keys etc. [...] The keyboard is not not being recognised by Bluetooth and I cannot use it.  [...]

I read the eBay policy and the 30 day period is over for money back.  I cannot even leave feedback now.  Surely this device would be still covered after not working in 3 months.  

First time I have had a seller not respond to emails. [...]

[...]  it just does not wok anymore.

g48mate2,

I'm replying to the main points, just to try and help you work out what expectations are reasonable and what may not be, and what remedies there are, and how to avoid similar problems in future.

• The keyboard stopped working about 3 months after you received it. I have posted many times on these boards about fake/generic Chinese-made items which are made from the cheapest possible components (not to the specs necessary for the item's continued use), almost certainly using intellectual property appropriated from well-known and respected brands, in factories that churn these out like hot cakes, without the technical specifications or capacity or functions stated. These items are designed to fool the buyer just for long enough to ensure no comeback... and in eBay terms 3 months is not an unusual working time. If it worked for around 6 months, even better from the seller's perspective, because then you couldn't even use PayPal for force a refund. Buy generic/unbranded, and expect lack of quality control and poor components not up to the item's intended use. This is one major reason to avoid items that are unbranded.
  • eBay's Money Back Guarantee is not a product warranty. It specifically states that it is not a warranty. It is for items that don't arrive, or for items that are significantly not as described (SNAD) upon arrival. It's not for items that develop problems after a while. (Even PayPal's Buyer Protection is not a product warranty. Again, it says so on the PayPal site. PayPal may choose to stop offering Buyer Protection to buyers who abuse their terms and thus represent a risk PayPal is not prepared to bear... so that's worth thinking about.)
  • "Surely this device would be still covered after not working in 3 months"... No. If you purchased a branded item in Australia from an authorised seller, yes, it would still be covered. You would have a reasonable expectation of its still working, and the product warranty would also state a specific period of warranty from the manufacturer (also extends to the seller if that is an authorised Australian seller). But that sort of cover (product warranty) only applies to purchases from authorised Australian sellers, and it's certainly only enforceable to such sellers. eBay does not offer or enforce product warranties.
  • You can leave follow-up feedback, but it is unlikely to prevent many prospective buyers from going ahead and buying. After all, if you check the seller's negative feedback comments, did those comments prevent you from going ahead? No. There are too many Australian buyers who simply look for the cheapest item, even when it's an electronic/electrical item; they ignore safety concerns to save a few dollars. You'll do better to email every person in your contact list with your story, ending with a warning not to buy from Chinese sellers on eBay selling unbranded/generic items... and even then, I'm not sure how many people will take heed.
  • The seller isn't responding to your communications now because you can no longer go through eBay Money Back Guarantee and the seller believes that you can be safely ignored. It's a well-known (lack of) response.

You have a right to a properly working item. Buy one that has been manufactured to product specs under quality control. There is a huge difference between an item churned out unbranded/generic in a Chinese factory without any attempt to ensure that each componient is made to spec and of the raw materials that meet the requirements of the product, and an item manufactured in China for a company (i.e., it's made of the components specified, to the design specified, to the standard specified). They are not the same.

You can certainly snap up online bargains... some on eBay, some on websites by respected big box sellers in Australia. What you can't do is get something well and truly below RRP from a Chinese seller with the idea that you've cut out the middle man and that therefore you're getting the real deal at a substantially lower price. If the item price is too good to be true, be sceptical. Post on these boards for a second opinion if in doubt.

View solution in original post

Message 20 of 24
Latest reply
23 REPLIES 23

You need to open a dispute in Paypal's "Resolution Centre", but before you do sign up for Paypal's limited return postage offer or you will be paying all the return postage yourself.

https://www.paypal.com/au/webapps/mpp/returns

"Start me up I'll never stop......"
Message 2 of 24
Latest reply

Thanks Padi, started the process now.  Feel a bit ripped off.  No replies from seller and they have 100% feedback?.

Message 3 of 24
Latest reply

No worries, glad to help you out. When you look at their feedback it shows they are a Chinese registered seller, the delaying tactics used by a lot of them to take buyers past the eBay MBG cut-off are very common unfortunately, and a lot of buyers are then left out in the cold if they are unaware of Paypal's system. Also as you have found out they will often be able to take you past the feedback cutoff.

"Start me up I'll never stop......"
Message 4 of 24
Latest reply

You bought from a Chinese seller. You have little, to no chance of having any resolution as they are a law unto themselves. Especially after nearly 4 months.  You could try a PayPal dispute as mentioned, but the fact the item arrived in a working condition, could go against you. A PayPal dispute isn't a warranty. It's the only chance you have though.

In future, buy locally, especially when it comes to electronics. You are almost guaranteed to be burnt by buying from a Chinese seller.

Message 5 of 24
Latest reply

As TP has said,  you have no warranty on an item purchased from China.

You should lose a paypal claim, as it relates to the condition of the item at the time you received it.

Message 6 of 24
Latest reply

I am interested by your comment ''I suspect the sellers ratings have been manipulated given my experience. '',  just because your item has failed.  On what basis do you make a comment about dishonesty on the part of the seller.   and how do you suggest they manipulated it.  You also have 100% feedback,  from your comment do we assume you have manipulated that as well?

Message 7 of 24
Latest reply

My comment was based on the lack of communication from the seller, if this is the way the seller responds to customers, I cannot see in any business operation how they would keep 100% feedback with that type of business communication.  Take it how you want but that is my opinion. As far as my 100%, take that for what you will also, but I am not a SELLER only a buyer, so my feedback is only dependant on my payment and communication with the SELLER.  

Message 8 of 24
Latest reply

Thanks to all for your insight into buying local, I should have known better but (I know) it looked like a great product and their feedback was 100% as I pointed out.  I shall take all your advice on board and buy locally in future or from Amazon which I have had no issues before with returns.  Thanks again. 

Message 9 of 24
Latest reply

As for communication with the seller.....

Did you ask your question in Chinese?

Too quick to judge - he may not understand English.

Message 10 of 24
Latest reply