Puzzling purchase

I bought a couple of items(small animal cages to be precise)from a seller in NSW. They provided a few pictures. I queried the seller as to whether there was a part on the cage missing as the photo wasn't that good and it was hard to see. They said it was there. They also said I will send some more pictures which they never did. Upon closer inspection the part definitely wasn't there (god knows where it is). Probably lost don't really know and they didn't seem happy to tell me.
As there were 2 cages I asked for combined postage (there were 2 separate listings). I got a sort of mixed up reply "Will do that when I ship it to you".Message didn't make much sense particularly.
I'm a little bit dumbfounded by it but I guess they mean well. But I wish they cold have been a little bit more agreeable about the item they were selling.
If you sent a message sometimes they would respond quickly other times you would be ignored.
Still scratching my head about it.
Message 1 of 31
Latest reply
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Puzzling purchase

Since they said the part was there and you're finding it was not, then I'd be inclined to open a not as received case (unless the part is of no importance to you or the working of the cage)

My interpretation of their reply about combined postage is that they have agreed to combine it when they send it, in other words, put it in one package, but have no intention of lowering the postage cost or refunding, if that is what you were after.

If you were after a combined postage discount, you might have been better off working it out with the seller beforehand. 

You say you guess they mean well. I can't see any evidence of that.

They misled you about a missing part, they said they would send photos & they didn't, they weren't consistent with replying to you-a bit haphazard all round. Plus they didn't give a clear answer to you about combining postage costs. I'm not saying they had to give you a discount but they should have given you a clear answer.

You don't owe them a thing, go for the not as described if you're not happy with the cage fault. The seller may offer a partial refund, which would be fair enough.

View solution in original post

Message 6 of 31
Latest reply
30 REPLIES 30

Puzzling purchase

do you have a question?
Message 2 of 31
Latest reply

Puzzling purchase

In a fashion, Yes! Just an opinion is fine..
Message 3 of 31
Latest reply

Puzzling purchase

If you have received something that is Not As Described....and you have messages to prove it....are you intending on 'claiming' or letting it go?

Is that your question?
Message 4 of 31
Latest reply

Puzzling purchase

If you're asking whether to buy or not, given you already know the seller is lying about a missing part (and probably combined postage), then don't.

Message 5 of 31
Latest reply

Puzzling purchase

Since they said the part was there and you're finding it was not, then I'd be inclined to open a not as received case (unless the part is of no importance to you or the working of the cage)

My interpretation of their reply about combined postage is that they have agreed to combine it when they send it, in other words, put it in one package, but have no intention of lowering the postage cost or refunding, if that is what you were after.

If you were after a combined postage discount, you might have been better off working it out with the seller beforehand. 

You say you guess they mean well. I can't see any evidence of that.

They misled you about a missing part, they said they would send photos & they didn't, they weren't consistent with replying to you-a bit haphazard all round. Plus they didn't give a clear answer to you about combining postage costs. I'm not saying they had to give you a discount but they should have given you a clear answer.

You don't owe them a thing, go for the not as described if you're not happy with the cage fault. The seller may offer a partial refund, which would be fair enough.

Message 6 of 31
Latest reply

Puzzling purchase

If a seller tells me he is going to send some more pictures, and doesn't, it would result in my thinking that I don't have assurance that the item is complete.

If I don't have assurance that the item is complete. I don't buy.

Do you think perhaps you purchased too eagerly?

I suppose it's always possible that the seller sent you pictures, but they were intercepted by a crack team of agents who also took away part of the cage for testing of a rare element never before seen in this galaxy. Unlikely, but possible.

Message 7 of 31
Latest reply

Puzzling purchase

He messaged me just now and the postage is around 3 times the quote he gave me so he will just break even and not make any money on the items. Said he wouldnt expect me to pay anymore and I wouldnt have anyway. He said he was a novice at this. He said he will provide the tracking number. No mention on the missing part but never mind.
Message 8 of 31
Latest reply

Puzzling purchase

so, you haven't bought them yet?
Message 9 of 31
Latest reply

Puzzling purchase

Items paid for including the initial post cost that was quoted on the listing.
Message 10 of 31
Latest reply