Refund that isn't a refund at all

Bitter taste left when you are awarded a full refund but because the purchase was 2 months ago and the USD-AUD rates differ.

Ok so it's only $7 less but on a $120 refund that's significant but it's a matter of principle too. eBay says that's the way it is. So PayPal wins more of our hard earned money. This should be protected so a $100 purchase equals a $100 refund.
Message 1 of 25
Latest reply
24 REPLIES 24

Re: Refund that isn't a refund at all

@letscleanupmycupboards wrote:
It would be ok to get the usd refund if it went into your PayPal and you could sit on it until the rate was better. Or use it to make usd purchases. However it goes directly back onto your card that the purchase was made on.

You're right. It would not be an issue if it had been the other way around. The way my eBay luck has been lately that would not happen. What if the item had been a $2000 item and I'd been shorted by hundreds? Really should be protected for as long as you are able to get a refund from eBay.

I,m a farmer. Everything we sell is sold in Australia, but the price we recieve jumps around based on the end users currency. Plenty of grain farmers in my district have crops worth $1.5 million - $2 million. Imagine the hits some of those blokes take when the US dollar fluctuates a bit over the harvest period. They can be running on profit margins of 5-10% and have their entire years take home income knocked out by an international currency fluctuation. Unlike $7, I think that is something to worry about.

Message 21 of 25
Latest reply

I've been in the same position as you but accept it's part of making purchases in a foreign currency.

If the seller receives $120 for the sale on an item and refunds for whatever reason they should only refund what they received (i.e. $120). The loss to the buyer is the cost of doing business overseas due to currency conversions.

Imagine being a seller in a world where PP said well you sold an item for $120 but now the buyer wants/needs a refund and due to the currency conversion it's going to cost you $127.

Message 22 of 25
Latest reply

I'm not expecting the seller to cop it. Seller copped return postage of $73 on a $125 item and because they refused eBay covered it. I'd expect PayPal or eBay to do so with any discrepancies as well and chalk it up as another cost of providing this guarantee. The wording is "eBay money back guarantee" not "eBay almost all your money back guarantee".

Doesn't seem like it will change anyway so I guess that's that.
Message 23 of 25
Latest reply

wow! I'd be upset about that too.. I had no idea the exchange rates differed so much in such a short amout of time !
Message 24 of 25
Latest reply

I also think the added time sellers are given to respond is too long.. 10 days makes a difference esp when the case is a simple one..

Message 25 of 25
Latest reply