Respect- Won Item via Auction-However Seller CANCELLED post auction- Due to loss of profit for them

Ebay- Help site

Message 1 of 21
Latest reply
20 REPLIES 20

Respect- Won Item via Auction-However Seller CANCELLED post auction- Due to loss of profit for them

Not a nice thing to do but nothing you can do about it.  Seller cannot be forced to sell to you.  Forget about it and find another seller.

Message 2 of 21
Latest reply

@asher4asher4478 wrote:

Ebay- Help site

Well, if the seller has done what you said then you should report that seller and leave appropriate feedback to reflect that experience to warn others about this seller. Nothing may happen from the report this time but eBay may take note and then if it happens again, they may do something. 

This is becoming more and more common now with sellers cancelling auctions and sometimes giving elaborate stories of item being accidentally broken,  just discovering after auction that it's faulty or going missing etc.. It just ruins eBay.

A word of advice about the feedback if leaving a neutral or negative. Keep it factual and to the point. Don't put any emotion or pizzazz into it as the seller can complain and have it removed and then potentially have the opportunity to do this again on another day.

Best line of feedback is "I won item but seller cancelled sale for unfair reason.

Sorry to hear about this.

BTW: If you bid on an item and win it fair and square, it should be yours. End of story!

Message 3 of 21
Latest reply

Respect-- Hi--Thank you for your sound advice as much appreciated-- In the message  which I recieved from seller- they informed me- that they  could,nt absorb the additional shipping costs--( even  though i was paying for the shipping-)-(Tthis can be validated in my messages)-- They informed ebay that the item was damaged- but- sadly--not the case- Unable to leave seller feedback -as Bloocked from ther sitei - once item was removed from my purchase huistory post auction-( As I wanted to warn others)---Attempted to Comtact Ebay-- but- was Unsuccessful-even though i  tried several times to do this-- You- mentioned that this was happening more often these days-- and- you are correct in saying- that this ruins the experience for others--Looking at trying to lodge the complaint again- with ebay--thank you for taking the time to listen--Kindest regards-- Mary

Message 4 of 21
Latest reply

Respect-- Hi-- Thank you for your reply to my post-- Have dealt with some loively sellers on Ebay-- BUT-for a seller to Blatantly Lie- is Wrong-- (they lied to me and to Ebay- Had won the item- fairly-but they contacted ebay and cancelled the Win- post auction--( before i was even aware that this had occurred---the item- won- then -dissapeared from my purchase history alsoY----You,re right -sometimes its best to find another seller--- However-- How many other pple -has  this seller done the done the same thing to/???-- ( (Have Kept the message from the seller- which contradicts what ebay was told at the time- and could,nt warn anyone- as blocked from site-- this ruins the process for others --thank you for taking the time to listen--Kind regards-- Mary

Message 5 of 21
Latest reply

@asher4asher4478 wrote:

Respect-- Hi--Thank you for your sound advice as much appreciated-- In the message  which I recieved from seller- they informed me- that they  could,nt absorb the additional shipping costs--( even  though i was paying for the shipping-)-(Tthis can be validated in my messages)-- They informed ebay that the item was damaged- but- sadly--not the case- Unable to leave seller feedback -as Bloocked from ther sitei - once item was removed from my purchase huistory post auction-( As I wanted to warn others)---Attempted to Comtact Ebay-- but- was Unsuccessful-even though i  tried several times to do this-- You- mentioned that this was happening more often these days-- and- you are correct in saying- that this ruins the experience for others--Looking at trying to lodge the complaint again- with ebay--thank you for taking the time to listen--Kindest regards-- Mary

Do you think sellers should have any right at all to withdraw items from sale? (Note: sellers in the "real" world do, but I often get the impression there are buyers on eBay who seem to think sellers need their permission to do anything, so this tends to be be an interesting question to pose).

How, in the grand scheme of things, has not being able to buy this item impacted your life? I'm not talking about your feelings, I mean on a practical level (Just curious about this one). 

Do you think it's possible that, even though you were going to pay for postage, the seller had priced it too low and was therefore going to have a loss that was too high for them to bear by honouring the original sale price? You may or may not think this is an acceptable reason for withdrawing from the sale, but the seller obviously did, and they are just as much a person with interest in the results of this transaction as you are.

It doesn't sound to me (strictly speaking) that the seller lied to you about why they withdrew from the sale - they get 3 reasons to pick from when they process a cancellation on eBay; those reasons are "buyer asked to cancel", "item damaged" and "something wrong with the buyer's address". Considering there are many more than those 3 reasons why a seller might cancel a transaction, quite often the reason they pick will not match the actual reason they are canceling. If it makes you feel any better, the seller chose a reason that damages their account on eBay.

This is not happening "more often these days" - some people just have a hyper-focus on instances of it happening, despite its ever-dwindling relevance. By which I mean eBay is nowhere near the amateur auction site it used to be, with the vast majority of items being sold at prices the sellers set up front. The opportunities for this to happen are miniscule compared to what it used to be. 

Message 6 of 21
Latest reply

@asher4asher4478 wrote:

Respect-- Hi-- Thank you for your reply to my post-- Have dealt with some loively sellers on Ebay-- BUT-for a seller to Blatantly Lie- is Wrong-- (they lied to me and to Ebay- Had won the item- fairly-but they contacted ebay and cancelled the Win- post auction--( before i was even aware that this had occurred---the item- won- then -dissapeared from my purchase history alsoY----You,re right -sometimes its best to find another seller--- However-- How many other pple -has  this seller done the done the same thing to/???-- ( (Have Kept the message from the seller- which contradicts what ebay was told at the time- and could,nt warn anyone- as blocked from site-- this ruins the process for others --thank you for taking the time to listen--Kind regards-- Mary

It hasn't disappeared.

Go to Purchase History and scroll to the bottom of the page.

All cancelled items are listed

Message 7 of 21
Latest reply

@asher4asher4478 wrote:

Hi, you're welcome. Could I ask though how long ago you actually won the item? You do have two months to leave feeedback. It used to be three months back prior to 2010.

Message 8 of 21
Latest reply

some  ..  sellers   do that ..in the case ..they get minium bid prices..or realise..  the value   that they are worth

Message 9 of 21
Latest reply

@dvd.horder wrote:

some  ..  sellers   do that ..in the case ..they get minium bid prices..or realise..  the value   that they are worth

Yes to the first. That's what we're talking about! The second, yeah, I think it happens too. I've been warned sometimes about asking a seller a bit too many questions as they could check up and see what an item last went for. Like that's an indication of actual value anyway. But yeah, a seller could get curious and check up.

Message 10 of 21
Latest reply