Royal mail tracking number - no progress after 4 weeks...

I bought a ring (not very valuable) from the UK 4 weeks ago, and the seller posted it a couple of days later with a tracking number.

Usually I find packages from the UK arrive in 2-3 weeks via airmail, but when I enter the tracking number for this particular item, I have been getting the following message:

Your item, posted on 22/05/13 with reference RU*********GB has been passed to the overseas postal service for delivery in AUSTRALIA.

Nothing has changed in 4 weeks, and I'm beginning to wonder why it's taking so long. Should I be concerned? It seems to be a legitimate number as it shows up as being on the way when entered into the Royal Mail website, but there is no evidence of it having arrive in Australia at all, just that it was posted.

Message 1 of 32
Latest reply
31 REPLIES 31

I would ring AP today & ask them to check.If no joy,open a Paypal dispute ASAP.

Message 2 of 32
Latest reply

lyndal1838
Honored Contributor

That is the message that you get when the service used is  International Signed For and it is only trackable  within the UK. 

You will not get anything more until it is delivered here in Australia and is signed for (if it ever is signed for).

Message 3 of 32
Latest reply

yesh1976
Community Member

I would be very careful. I have had a few instances where I have waited patiently for overseas parcels to arrive, contacted the seller who assured me that it was on its way and to be patient, only to find that in believing the seller, the time to file a dispute passed, the item never arrived and I was too late to even leave negative feedback! I was too slow granted, but in the last case, there was a tracking number that simply said that it had been posted but no further information. So I thought, given it had a tracking number, it must be legit.WRONG! So I would say file a dispute before the time expires REGARDLESS of what the seller says or whether there is a tracking number. I have been screwed over so many times on Ebay, I'm not sure why I come back 🙂

Message 4 of 32
Latest reply

In 2013 I find it ridiculous that it can take a month to receive mail from GB.  

terroxyboy, I too have had to wait a longgggg time for items sent royal mail & had the same message you are getting, but I wouldn't wait any longer if I were you.

Hope all goes well for you! 🙂 

Message 5 of 32
Latest reply

The seller has responded promptly, with tracking details - but it shows nothing further than the item having arrived at Heathrow Worldwide DC on 23/05/2013. 

Hopefully the ring has not been lost in transit or stolen, because it would appear that the seller has done all the right things. Not sure what to do next if it doesn't turn up.

Message 6 of 32
Latest reply

chezzy
Community Member

I used to find UK > Aust mail fast, usually within a week, but times have changed.

I also don't think tracking is comprehensive and is sometimes only tracked within the country of posting and not the entire journey.

Regardless of (or in addition to?) the ebay/paypal process I would suggest starting a Missing Article Enquiry with Australia Post. I found a link for it online (hope it works):

https://contactus.auspost.com.au/app/enquiry/ArticleSearchLanding/session/L2F2LzEvdGltZS8xMzExMjA3OTczL3NpZC9iTmthUHV6aw%3D%3D

Message 7 of 32
Latest reply

Still no package. I'm lodging a missing article enquiry, and then will be opening a dispute next week if nothing turns up. That makes me feel a bit lousy, because the seller has done all the  right things so far including responding promptly to messages, but I'm not sure how else to proceed as I don't think I should be handing over 50 bucks for thin air.

Is this a common occurrence, jewellery going 'missing' in the post?

Message 8 of 32
Latest reply

Have you tried putting the tracking number in the AP site? Sometimes they will show, sometimes not.

It has been long enough since it was posted in the UK so i would just open the dispute after emailing them and telling them you are not prepared to wait any longer and would like a refund, assure them that should it arrive after you get a refund you will resend the payment.

The only problem you may have is if somebody else (and that can be the AP courier) has signed for the parcel and so the seller will be able to get seller protection and your refund will take a bit of effort. You may need to supply a Stat Dec stating you have not received the item or even go as far as reporting it to the police and getting a crime number, that should only happen if the seller provides proof that there is a signature .

Hopefully opening the dispute will lead to the seller making the refund, if they don't leave them a neg and escalate to a claim.

See what a trendsetter I am?
Message 9 of 32
Latest reply

The only time I have had an item never turn up was sent by Royal Mail. The seller told me it wasn't an unusual occurrence for things to go "missing". If you ever read Viz comics you would be familiar with Postman Plod and his antics. Apparently not far off the truth.

Message 10 of 32
Latest reply