Royal mail tracking number - no progress after 4 weeks...

I bought a ring (not very valuable) from the UK 4 weeks ago, and the seller posted it a couple of days later with a tracking number.

Usually I find packages from the UK arrive in 2-3 weeks via airmail, but when I enter the tracking number for this particular item, I have been getting the following message:

Your item, posted on 22/05/13 with reference RU*********GB has been passed to the overseas postal service for delivery in AUSTRALIA.

Nothing has changed in 4 weeks, and I'm beginning to wonder why it's taking so long. Should I be concerned? It seems to be a legitimate number as it shows up as being on the way when entered into the Royal Mail website, but there is no evidence of it having arrive in Australia at all, just that it was posted.

Message 1 of 32
Latest reply
31 REPLIES 31

Ugh. I have wanted to buy jewellery on ebay for a while now but was worried about theft, and finally decided to take the plunge after 8 or so years of buying many many items and only 2 items never turning up (both bad sellers who got booted not long after). This is very disappointing.

Message 11 of 32
Latest reply

Hi Terry, I am still waiting too. It s snail mail and the only thing "royal" about it is the pain in my a&%^@ it is........X-(

Message 12 of 32
Latest reply

the only thing "royal" about it is the pain in my a&%^@ it is........X-(

LOL! :^O

Don't blame me. I didn't vote him in ...
Message 13 of 32
Latest reply

It doesn't usually take long for airmail parcels to reach Australia from the UK, it does however often take them a long time to clear customs and be delivered by AP. Not defending Royal Mail here but I have never had a parcel take longer than 3 weeks and never had one go missing either from sellers or from family and friends.

See what a trendsetter I am?
Message 14 of 32
Latest reply

I once had a small package arrive from the UK, paid on Friday, here by Tuesday! Faster and cheaper than getting it sent from within Aus.

Message 15 of 32
Latest reply

I recently purchased a book from the UK by surface mail to see what the difference would be over airmail,(was quoted up 3 months for delivery)and of course it was cheaper.

Imagine my surprise when I received it in 7 days!

Me thinks some surface mail comes on the silver bird.;-)

----------------------------------------------------------
Started out with nothing...still got most of it.
----------------------------------------------------------
Message 16 of 32
Latest reply

lyndal1838
Honored Contributor

I have had that happen too whipstick....and I have also had airmail packages that have come by surface mail.

Mistakes happen everywhere and you should not count on it happening every time you try to save some money.;-)

Message 17 of 32
Latest reply

After calling AP they have confirmed that the package has not reached Australia after almost 6 weeks. Dispute has been opened, which I hate doing but I did my best to locate the package and now it's in the sellers hands. I wonder what happened to it? The AP operator I spoke to this morning said that it wasn't registered as being a parcel, so maybe they sent it as a letter and it was maimed in the sorting machine?

Message 18 of 32
Latest reply

I have been waiting over 3 weeks for a parcel from U.K. to arrive in Australia.I find Australian post and Royal mail offer a very poor service.Fedex only take 3 days-5 days if held up.

Message 19 of 32
Latest reply

*sigh*  Another old thread resurrected for no particular purpose.

You do realise that FedEx is a courier service and as such is very much more expensive that Royal Mail and Australia Post.  It is also faster but you need to balance the extra expense against the speed.  You really cannot compare a courier service with ordinary mail services.

Message 20 of 32
Latest reply