Seller Stopped Auction

7 days to go on an auction and the seller stopped it, is that fair?

The seller received a request for information and said they would like to buy straight away... I guess they contacted the potential buyer and made a deal... still unfair in my opinion

Message 1 of 32
Latest reply
31 REPLIES 31

Seller Stopped Auction

It might not seem fair to you - but the seller owns the item and it is up to them how they choose to sell it.

Find another !  Smiley Happy

Message 2 of 32
Latest reply

Seller Stopped Auction

Nah, it's all legit (unless they made a deal off eBay)

lots of reasons why someone will end an auction early, and they are all legal and legit

Some people can go their whole lives and never really live for a single minute.
Message 3 of 32
Latest reply

Seller Stopped Auction

@*crikey*mate* wrote:

lots of reasons why someone will end an auction early, and they are all legal and legit

Hope you understand that is legitmate to do a deal off ebay, as long as it wasn't initiated or encouraged by the seller on ebay.

Cheers

Message 4 of 32
Latest reply

Seller Stopped Auction

@onlinecoinslismore wrote:

@*crikey*mate* wrote:

Hope you understand that is legitmate to do a deal off ebay, as long as it wasn't initiated or encouraged by the seller on ebay.

Cheers

I hope that you understand that you are wrong....

Offers to Buy or Sell Outside of eBay

"Offers to buy or sell listed items outside of the eBay site are not permitted."

Some examples of offers outside of the eBay site include:

• Using member contact information obtained from eBay or using any eBay system to offer to sell any listed item outside of eBay

• Canceling a listing to sell to a buyer who became aware of the item through eBay

• Ending a listing early to sell the item at a higher price to the winning bidder

• Offering to sell an item to a bidder in a Reserve Not Met listing without going through Second Chance Offer

• Offering to sell duplicate or additional merchandise to under-bidders without going through Second Chance Offer

• Sending unsolicited (without prior permission) commercial email offers to bidders for the same or similar products that they have bid on in the past

Cheers

Message 5 of 32
Latest reply

Seller Stopped Auction

@*crikey*mate* wrote:

@onlinecoinslismore wrote:

@*crikey*mate* wrote:

Cheers

I hope that you understand that you are wrong....

Offers to Buy or Sell Outside of eBay

"Offers to buy or sell listed items outside of the eBay site are not permitted."

• Using member contact information obtained from eBay or using any eBay system to offer to sell any listed item outside of eBay

• Canceling a listing to sell to a buyer who became aware of the item through eBay

• Ending a listing early to sell the item at a higher price to the winning bidder

• Offering to sell an item to a bidder in a Reserve Not Met listing without going through Second Chance Offer

• Offering to sell duplicate or additional merchandise to under-bidders without going through Second Chance Offer

• Sending unsolicited (without prior permission) commercial email offers to bidders for the same or similar products that they have bid on in the past

Cheers

I agree with the above, but I am not wrong, you simply stated that it is not legitimate to do a deal off ebay. Just say you have a fridge for sale on ebay, but you also have it on your front verandah with a for sale sign on it. If some one walks in and buys your fridge you obviously have to cancel an ebay sale.

Or say a company like The Good Guys, if they have an ebay listing that sells out in store, I would hope they take it off ebay.

It is perfectly Ok to deal off ebay otherwise there would be no retail or B&M stores on here.

JUST AS LONG AS THE SELLER DOES NOT INITIATE THAT SALE OR ENCOURAGE THE SALE UTILISING EBAY

The document you quote above is "Offers to Buy or Sell Outside of eBay" - We get asked all the time to do deals off ebay in our message system as we are B&M but we simply do not encourage it. And we certainly do not make offers to bidders or buyers.

But if someone chooses to come to our store, call us or email us by there own valition than that is fine, that is normal business. And if one of our customers comes in and buys an item we only have one of, we CANCEL THE EBAY AUCTION to deal off ebay.

So it is perfectly legitimate to deal off ebay just a slong as you do not utilise ebay or the information received from ebay to make an offer of sale.

Anyway I am not trying to be obtuse or anything, just want to make it clear to the OP that the seller may have sold it privately and had to cancel the auction. Which is all legit!

Message 6 of 32
Latest reply

Seller Stopped Auction

as long as they didn't become aware of the item through eBay..... which is what we were talking about.....

and I am pretty sure that you are not supposed to have something listed on eBay that is for sale somewhere else.

Need someone else to verify that though, can't find the policy, but I was told that by an eBay rep.

Message 7 of 32
Latest reply

Seller Stopped Auction

I found this - does it help?

About transactions outside of eBay

Transactions outside the eBay online marketplace are not eligible for eBay services, including Feedback, contact information requests, the item not received process, and the unpaid item process.

We don't permit our members to solicit sales outside the eBay online marketplace. To learn more about this policy, review the offers to buy or sell outside eBay policy.

edit -     and this?

HideWhy does eBay have this policy?

Offers to buy or sell outside of eBay are a potential fraud risk for both buyers and sellers. These offers also undermine the trust and legitimacy of eBayโ€™s marketplace and are not protected by eBay protection programs. Additionally, these offers circumvent eBay's fees, which unfair to sellers who do not circumvent eBay fees.

Message 8 of 32
Latest reply

Seller Stopped Auction

and I am pretty sure that you are not supposed to have something listed on eBay that is for sale somewhere else.

That was always my understanding too.     

Still looking            

Message 9 of 32
Latest reply

Seller Stopped Auction

What are the guidelines?

Offers outside of eBay

Allowed

• Listing an item on eBay.com.au (including eBay Motors) with local pickup, and then meeting up with the buyer to complete the sale after they win the auction or use Buy It Now.

• Listing a classified ad on eBay and completing a sale with a buyer who has contacted you about the item.

Not allowed

• Listing an item on eBay (other than with local pickup or as a classified ad) and then completing the sale outside of eBay.

See the complete Offers to buy or sell outside of eBay policy for more details.

I think that  'not allowed'  bit covers the fridge on the front verandah

That's it.   I'm done
Message 10 of 32
Latest reply