Seller refusing to send paid for item to PO Box.

emcmad
Community Member
Hi, I have paid over $400 for an item with paypal, and nowhere on the listing does it say that they would not post to a PO Box, but now over a week after I paid for the item they are refusing to send it unless I provide a street address.

The reason I have a PO Box is because postal services do not come out to us as we are out of town on a property. We have never had anything successfully delivered to us from a courier service (doesnt help that our road is not on any GPS's.) and have to meet deliveries in town. Since we are currently doing seasonal work which involves 12 hour days we won't be able to meet anyone in town.

Am I within my rights to ask for a refund ( or demand if it comes to that, and/or open a dispute with PayPal if they continue to refuse to deliver it?? I honestly can't see why they can't just send it thru auspost. I have even offered to pay extra for postage if they will just take it to their nearest PO and send it to my PO Box.

Any suggestions/advice greatly appreciated. 🙂
Message 1 of 68
Latest reply
67 REPLIES 67

Re: Seller refusing to send paid for item to PO Box.

Of-course, they are not.  Beach, why should AP want to do work for other company?  You may as well say, why not let them drop it off in my local chemist or liquor shop, they know me there.

whoa whoa whoa, I don't think that anyone understood what I was saying at all.

I was suggesting, that as the OP lives out in the bush, his local PO guy might be friendly. So I was suggesting that the parcel be dropped off to the guy at the PO as a friend, not as a post office. ie: deliver the parcel to MR X who just happens to work at the Post Office. Don't tell me that the guy working at the post office is not allowed to get his own parcels delivered to his workplace by a courier?? It seems that the OP doesn't know anyone else in town, that's all.

So I was suggesting that the OP could sign an "Authority to Leave" form with the courier which most of you wouldn't have seen probably. I have signed them because I get all my stock delivered to my house. And I have authorised the couriers to leave the stock in my backyard. Before that I authorised them to leave it at another shop in town near mine. So my understanding is that you can authorise them to leave your parcels wherever you want, as long as you sign the form.

So it's got nothing to do with leaving the parcel at a post office to then be delivered to the OP. I was just suggesting that maybe the guy at the PO could do him a personal favour if he trusted him, that's all. Nothing to do with Australia Post, just maybe someone that the guy can trust to receive his parcel.

But............as we started talking about before, maybe the OP should just back out as the seller is not being helpful at this stage and they haven't even got the item yet.

Message 21 of 68
Latest reply

lyndal1838
Honored Contributor

Interesting point beach.  Each courier company has its own rules about Authority to Leave but for the most part they will not do it unless at least 2 attempts have been made to deliver.  This is one reason why courier companies ask for a phone number for the addressee.

The courier company's policy is really dictated by their client...the sender, rather than the addressee.

As for delivering to a post office...let's just say it would be a brave courier/courier company that would attempt it.  The last time it happened all h*ll broke out and several companies were on strike over it.

Message 22 of 68
Latest reply

It's still an $11 surcharge for AAE/Startrack to drop at a PO. Which makes it somewhat uneconomical.

Message 23 of 68
Latest reply

lyndal1838
Honored Contributor

Who is charging who, Pete?

Parcels are only dropped at the PO if the addressee is not home/available and that fact is not known until delivery is attempted.

Do you mean that the PO charges the customer $11 when they pick up a parcel?  A bit more information would be good because none of the couriers I speak to know anything about it...none of their customers have complained.

BTW just for your information, AaE bought Startrack about 5 years ago for $750million just to get their road freight business

Message 24 of 68
Latest reply

Do you know somebody with a street address who is near enough that you could collect it from them? If so ask the seller to post to that address and warn your friends it is coming.

If they do that then you can be sure they are genuine as they will have lost their sller protection.

If they say they cannot post to the address as the PO box is showing in Paypal tell them to refund the payment and you will go through checkout again to change the address.

You don't have to ask them for a phone number, you just need request theor contact details through Advanced Search.

See what a trendsetter I am?
Message 25 of 68
Latest reply

emcmad
Community Member
Update:
Nothing, no contact since I explianed the situation a second time and asked for a phone number on Thursday. This is the first time I have had such a problem on eBay. Have I just been real lucky? If the seller was willing to communicate and try and sort this out I would feel better about this working out ok, but nothing.

So where do I go from here? Do I complain to eBay, or do something through PayPal. I have never had to resolve something like this and my daughter just wants her money back so she can save a little more and get her iPad from like bigW or something. (spose we shoulda done that in the first place, but it's a bit of a drive, we've learnt our lesson.)

I appreciate the advice and help. 🙂
Message 26 of 68
Latest reply

So where do I go from here? Do I complain to eBay, or do something through PayPal.

Open INR dispute with PP and ask for refund due to the fact the seller refused to post to PO Box.

000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000

Voltaire: “Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities, Can Make You Commit Atrocities” .
Message 27 of 68
Latest reply

The apple store do reconditioned ipads with a 12 months warrenty, I've used them before good savings and a nice secure transaction

Message 28 of 68
Latest reply

sparkes9669
Community Member

Just a thought. provide your GPS co-ordinates and phone number to the seller to forward onto the courier.

I often have to go to remote properties and the only way I can find them is with the GPS latatude longitude co-ordinates.

The seller may also be informed by their courier that they dont go to middle of nowhere once they see where they have to go.

good luck and I hope it  resolves favourably.

Message 29 of 68
Latest reply

Why didn't the OP read the listing before buying?

It is in the listing that they will not send items to PO boxes.

Surely the buyer is the one at fault yet so many here seem to think the seller is the problem.

Read the small print BEFORE you buy.

Message 30 of 68
Latest reply