Some searches are a joke.

go-tazz
Community Member

Why would a site set up categories so that gullible members can be deliberately  ripped off?

http://www.ebay.com.au/sch/i.html?_nkw=rainbow+rose+seeds

http://www.ebay.com.au/sch/i.html?_nkw=blue+strawberry+seeds

http://www.ebay.com.au/sch/i.html?_sacat=2032&_nkw=blue+strawberry

http://www.ebay.com.au/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2315708.m570.l1311.R9.TR11.TRC1.A0.H0.Xmonkey.T...

http://www.ebay.com.au/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2315708.m570.l1313.TR4.TRC2.A0.H0.Xblue+waterme...

Etc,etc,etc,stubborn_smiley_by_mirz123-d4bt0te_zps12f1a5a3.gif

The worst part is that there are more listings put on as time goes by and some gullible Aussie sellers buy

bulk lots and then sell these frauds.shok.gif

Message 1 of 23
Latest reply
22 REPLIES 22

lyndal1838 wrote:

Those are the sort of listings that need reporting to the authorities.....ACCC, ACORN and anyone ele that may be able to act to get them removed.

they can be reported a million times to all relevant authorities and i bet they still wont be removed.

Message 11 of 23
Latest reply

Of course they won't be removed because there are too many gullible buyers that buy them and eBay are making money from them. EBay can't prove that they don't grow into the photo, the feedback is usually always good because by the time the buyers realise they have been had it's too late, so eBay sees no reason to remove them.

Message 12 of 23
Latest reply

@4green2000 wrote:

@lyndal1838 wrote:

Those are the sort of listings that need reporting to the authorities.....ACCC, ACORN and anyone ele that may be able to act to get them removed.

they can be reported a million times to all relevant authorities and i bet they still wont be removed.

Of course ebay will not remove them voluntarily just on the report of members but they would ignore Government authorities at their peril.   Ebay is still subject to Australian Law as much as they would like to think otherwise.

Message 13 of 23
Latest reply

In another thread, everyone was jumping on michelle for trying to import some food stuff for her rats.

I was just wondering about seeds. How legal is it to import seeds?

I've not had a lot to do with customs so I am not really sure, but I would have thought there would be as much potential trouble from seeds or plant materials as from commercially packaged pet food.

I'll be honest, I would have my doubts about multi coloured roses of the vividly different hues they showed, but I reckon I could be sucked in by blue strawberries. After seeing purple carrots and all.Smiley Happy

I'm not much of a gardener, mind you. Guess it shows.

Message 14 of 23
Latest reply

A lot depends on where the seeds or plants originate.   Most nurseries which export are aware of the Customs requirements of many other countries.  They are fairly standard and as Australia is one of the strictest in the world most exporting nurseries know if they meet our requirements they will meet the requirements of most countries.

I have a friend who has bought seeds and plants from all over the world and never had a problem.  If she is unsure she just rings AQIS.  It is not rocket science though and the various sites have very comprehensive lists of what can be bought in and what cannot.

Message 15 of 23
Latest reply

I'm still a tad disappointed about no blue strawberries.

Message 16 of 23
Latest reply

To be honest I think they look horrible.....I like my strawberries to be a nice bright red.Smiley Tongue0

Message 17 of 23
Latest reply

But Springys got a point.

These scammers with their 'fruit' seeds - How do they get through customs?

Those seeds could be anything, and something we don't want here

Are they actually labelled seeds when they get posted?

Message 18 of 23
Latest reply

You can be sure they send them as something that is allowed into the country.   The roses would not be a problem....rose seeds are legal, and I am sure Customs are not concerned about the colour.

Much the same with the strawberries I would think.

Message 19 of 23
Latest reply

There was a US forum where members bought some of the seeds and one of the comment was that they

received seeds that weren't rose seeds(they grew them and it looked like a weed).

Unfortunately it was one of the sites that I added to a report to show what others think of eBay and their seed

listings,(there was four such forums and each one disappeared),stubborn_smiley_by_mirz123-d4bt0te_zps12f1a5a3.gif

This site and other online sites were well and truly made a laughing stock in those forums.

About 80% of the seeds they planted never germinated,(it was mentioned that they may have been

micro waved to stop them from growing).

Message 20 of 23
Latest reply