The best way to negotiate a partial refund

I've purchased a vintage bedspread which the seller described as being in excellent condition, however, when it arrived today I noticed multiple patches of what look to be old coffee stains or something similiar on it. I contacted the seller who has offered a partial refund of $8, but I am not really happy with this amount as I am unsure whether the stains can be removed through drycleaning. I love the bedspread and would prefer to keep it than pay close to $20 to return it, but feel that $8 is hardly an appropriate refund considering that it will cost substantially more to dryclean it and even then the stains may remain. What do you think would be a fair amount to ask for in discount, or am I being ridiculous and should just accept the $8? I know if I need to return it I must do it through paypal and use a tracked postage method.

Message 1 of 28
Latest reply
27 REPLIES 27

Re: The best way to negotiate a partial refund

I believe that a trackable parcel in some cases can be left without a signature, it would be best to get it tracked and signed for.

And ask for a do not safe drop sticker at the post office, with one of those the postie cannot just leave it on their property.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Buttercup: You mock my pain! Man in Black: Life is pain, Highness. Anyone who says differently is selling something.
Message 21 of 28
Latest reply

PayPal Customer Service: 1800-073-263.

If you need any help with your claim.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Buttercup: You mock my pain! Man in Black: Life is pain, Highness. Anyone who says differently is selling something.
Message 22 of 28
Latest reply

Thank you so much. You've been an incredible help; as has everyone who has replied to my query.  Smiley Happy

Message 23 of 28
Latest reply

You can send as a regular parcel with insurance which only costs $1.50 and gives you a receipt with the post code on.

Slightly off topic but whatever you are selling you would be much better off using a plain background, any item will have reduced impact and be hard to see against that pattern. You can pick up a couple of sheets, one white and one dark, from an op shop for next to nothing.

See what a trendsetter I am?
Message 24 of 28
Latest reply

Thank you, the insurance sounds like a great idea.

I'm actually in the process of planning a photo series for exhibition, so the bedspread was intended for that  Smiley Happy

Message 25 of 28
Latest reply

Help! I rang paypal about my claim and they opened one up for me, but they have written in the details that the seller is not responding, which is not correct and I specifically told the paypal cso that on the phone. The seller has been fine responding to me in the past, can I ring and get that bit removed?

Message 26 of 28
Latest reply

I believe the seller has now responded in the Paypal case and things are proceeding smoothly 🙂

Thanks venomous_abyss for the update. Hope you get the refund quickly.

Message 27 of 28
Latest reply

Thanks, everyone! Amber-eyed-girl is correct, and the item is being posted back to the seller on Monday  Smiley Happy

Message 28 of 28
Latest reply