Using the 'Return This Item' option...

I just received a blu ray that was described as in 'excellent condition' but most definitely is not. I contacted the seller and he said to send it back as per their 7 day return policy. I clicked on 'Return this Item' and put the details in.

The seller responded through eBay messages and not the dispute telling me to send them the Blu Ray at my expense. They have not accepted the return through the system and responded via messages as 'apparently' they were unable to answer via the dispute. What do I do next? I don't think they will be sending me the postage label for return and I don't want to be out of pocket for their error. It's not a change of mind issue.

Message 1 of 18
Latest reply
17 REPLIES 17

Re: Using the 'Return This Item' option...

Of course the OP did the right thing opening an MBG dispute for item not as described.

This seller was trying it on a bit IMO.  If the OP doesn't go through the proper MBG channels to return the item, ebay will not enforce the seller to pay the return postage costs, which this seller clearly doesn't want to do.

The process requires the buyer to use tracked postage.  The seller can either provide a label or agree a set returned cost.  Either way if the seller doesn't communicate with the buyer to agree a return method then the buyer can escalate and probably get a full refund.

I would only return outside the MBG process if I had some kind of trust or rapport with the seller.  If they are not apologetic / keen to resolve the situation etc then yes I would go ahead and use the tools available to recoup my funds, buyers take a risk otherwise trying to protect sellers, and it may not be in their best interests.

Message 11 of 18
Latest reply

The seller is refusing to pay for return postage and has said the MBG does not apply to their items. 

Message 12 of 18
Latest reply

I can't open an Item Not As Described Case through eBay because of the Return Request being open. The seller is still not responding via this request, only eBay messages. What happens if he never actually reponds to the request?

Message 13 of 18
Latest reply

What reason did you give for the return request?

I thought that was only for change of mind returns and I understand the seller does not have to agree to that.

If there is something wrong with the item you should have opened a Not As Described dispute and the seller does have to pay for the return if they want it back.

Message 14 of 18
Latest reply

I chose the Item Doesn't Match the Listing or something like that. The Return Request has a few different options including the change of mind. Perhaps I should have done the Not As Described thing. I didn't realise they were two different options.

Message 15 of 18
Latest reply

Call ebay and they can see the messages between you and the seller and ask if they can help out and change the dispute for you.

Message 16 of 18
Latest reply

@angel*jen wrote:

I chose the Item Doesn't Match the Listing or something like that. The Return Request has a few different options including the change of mind. Perhaps I should have done the Not As Described thing. I didn't realise they were two different options.

That should have counted as an item not as described.  I've used this option to initiate a return for item not as described (reluctantly).  The first three options... doesn't fit, don't need it, found somewhere else .. are the change of mind returns.  

I agree with calling ebay to sort this out for you.  I think the seller is trying it on.  Get ebay to step in and they will certainly find in your favour.

Message 17 of 18
Latest reply

Thanks Sparklz and Black Poppy! I will have to wait until tomorrow to call eBay. The seller has become a bit rude and even suggesting I did the damage myself. I am a very honest person and I have been polite in my messages to him. 

Message 18 of 18
Latest reply