What is this scam?

I ordered a pair of brand new Sportscraft pants from a seller who had multiple color and size options plus various pieces of the same brand for sale on their profile. 

The pants were one third of the retail price, included free shipping, I assumed it was from a closing down sale or something. 

The pants arrived, direct from a store near my home, for the full price, including express shipping, the receipt was in the bag showing the item had only been purchased the day after my eBay order was placed. 

My parcel had my name spelt incorrectly and the wrong mobile number (so never received the auto tracking info from Australia post like I normally would). Maybe a coincidence but still odd. 

I have heard of drop shipping but this seems far more suss and I can’t work out what they gain from this? 

Message 1 of 12
Latest reply
11 REPLIES 11

Re: What is this scam?

What was the item number?

You say it's a scam and suss, but evidently not enough so for you to leave neg feedback and warn other buyers so............

Message 2 of 12
Latest reply

So you got exactly what you wanted, for a third of retail price, with proof of authenticity (receipt), sent express post for free. Can't see where this is a scam or 'suss'.

Message 3 of 12
Latest reply

Well, my first thought was stolen stock, stolen to order, but I can't see why any thief would leave evidence of what store they came from. And a receipt in the bag for more than you paid?

I am puzzled too.

Message 4 of 12
Latest reply

Last time I checked a scam is when you get the wrong item,  money stolen from you or some other devious happening.

you got what you ordered,   whats the problem.

Message 5 of 12
Latest reply

You are correct in that it is not normal selling practice to sell something for less than what the item cost.  What does the receipt say regarding payment type used. Also does the seller have more similar items and a short selling history and don't mention the listing just in case there is no issues with the seller. 

Message 6 of 12
Latest reply

One cannot mention the seller - but one can give an item number.

Message 7 of 12
Latest reply

Seller could be above board so would not want anyone thinking otherwise. Its just not normal to sell an item below receipt price unless the method of payment is not above board. 

I once was offered airfares valued at $3600 for under $700 receipted in my name and showing the original cost. Everything worked out good and frequent flyer points earned at that price was enough for another flight but could never work out why. Was booked through a hotel resort booking agent so gladly accepted and figured they had the tickets and needed to offload them and it was my lucky day.

Message 8 of 12
Latest reply

I can think of two possibilities.

1. Seller ran out of stock and doesn't want a defect so panicked and bought retail. ( not scammy, just a dill)

2. Seller has access to some stolen credit card details and wants the money going into their account to look legitimate. (seriously dodgy)

Message 9 of 12
Latest reply

Just thought of another!

Someone gave them a gift card for Sportscraft and they won't use it for themselves before it expires and this way they can convert it to cash.

Message 10 of 12
Latest reply