Who is sick of Seller Location Misrepresentation?Who thinks UBI smart parcel should be banned in AU?

Who is sick of Seller Location Misrepresentation?

Who thinks UBI smart parcel should be banned in AU? Im fed up with the overseas sellers saying they are in AU when they are not. Its obvious by the feedback they get from annoyed customers that their parcel has taken 3 weeks to arrive from Botany when they live in Sydney. Rather fishy and obvious. 

Im a seller of a quality product and Chinese sellers come in with a cheaper and inferior product with free postage and it takes sales from me because its cheap. Customers find out the hard way and usually end up back buying from me eventually but still its making my life on Ebay a bad experience. Im thinking of quiting. 

Message 1 of 34
Latest reply
33 REPLIES 33

Who is sick of Seller Location Misrepresentation?Who thinks UBI smart parcel should be banned in AU?

I believe the seller has in fact 'stolen the money by deception' to some extent.

I don't think it actually matters that much where a seller is, but it does matter where an item is, because that will affect postage time.

If a buyer believes an item is located just down the road, they will probably expect it to turn up well within 2 weeks. In this case, even if the item turns up, it is now useless to the buyer, the event has passed. Had they known where it was, they probably would not have bought.

There's something in consumer affairs, I forget the wording, but it is along the lines of a buyer is entitled to a refund if there is something about the item that they had a right to know and could affect their decision whether to buy or not.

Of course, the fact it is a seller in China with an item in China means there is nothing that can be done.

However, this is exactly why the estimated dates of arrival is such a great improvement on ebay. I know sellers don't particularly like it for a range of reasons but it should be the buyer's friend. Anyone buying anything needs to look at the ETA.

In this case, I would like to know when the item was slated to arrive. Was it within the 2 week period?

If it was, and it was late, then the buyer needed to open an item not received claim immediately to at least get the money back.

But if the ETA was longer than 2 weeks, sorry, but that says it all. You can never assume an item will arrive faster than the ETA. It often will, but you can't take it for granted. So if an ETA time span is going to be too late, best not to buy.

If an ordinary item is going to take more than 2 weeks to arrive within your normal suburban centres, then I'd be highly suspicious it is not coming from Australia at all. 

If I were the buyer, I'd be angling for a refund one way or the other. 

Message 21 of 34
Latest reply

Anyone wishing to help get this scam stopped on ebay australia is encouraged to make a report to the ACCC.

It only takes a few minutes and collectively we can fight against what i beleive to be a breach of australian consumer and tax law.

additionally, you can also contact ACA on channel nine to encourage a media exposure which has proven to work before.

i have just recived my package from UBI and a pending paypal case is open to get a refund.

im just waiting now to be told if the return will be to a chinese address....

Message 22 of 34
Latest reply

The problem is going to be proving that the item was sent from China before being posted from UBI Botany.

Knowing and proving are two different things.

And if the seller is in China there is no way on earth that Australian Consumer Law is going to apply.

I also doubt that ACA will touch this one when the seller is in China.....how are they going to chase the seller with their reporters and camera people for a comment.....gotta be even handed ya know.

Message 23 of 34
Latest reply

Yep, me too, but there is an upside: as long as the ATO doesn't catch on you won't be paying the 10% theft GST.

These sellers are taking a risk.

Message 24 of 34
Latest reply

If you have a tracking number, it will say something like:
EXPORT CUSTOMS CLEARED
or
Transport to Country of Destination
Or something like that.
These sellers are liars and cheats, but not having to pay GST is almost worth it.
These sellers will eventually get caught and they will have quite a bit of tax to catch up with.
Message 25 of 34
Latest reply

Sellers don't pay the GST....buyers pay it.

If you buy through ebay the GST is charged by ebay and they remit it to the ATO.

If your seller uses the GSP the GST is charged by Pitney Bowes who remit it to the ATO.

Message 26 of 34
Latest reply

@1guldenvijftig wrote:
[...] but not having to pay GST is almost worth it.
These sellers will eventually get caught and they will have quite a bit of tax to catch up with.

Failing to pay tax as you know is required by law is almost worth dealing with liars and cheats?

An interesting viewpoint...

If you buy from sellers whose items should have GST added to them, and you know that you're buying items that should have GST added to them, and you post as much on a public forum, there just may be a possibility that the ATO may want you to help with their enquiries.

Why don't you look at purchasing directly from overseas sellers who are NOT required to be registered for GST? Sellers who don't sell $75,000 or more annually to Australian buyers? You can purchase from them to your heart's content without being charged GST, and without being lawfully required to pay any GST on those goods, as long as the seller is the one who ships the item to you (rather than your using a re-deliverer).

Message 27 of 34
Latest reply

Not if the item is "located in Australia"
Then it is assumed GST is already included in the price.
Message 28 of 34
Latest reply

You sound like you know about tax.
So you must know that it is your right to minimize tax within the confines of the law.
That covers a very wide range of minimizing, if I may put it that way to keep it short.
To the last part of your comment, how does one recognize an Ebay seller who sells less than $75,000 annually to Australian buyers?
Really interested in an answer to that last question.
Message 29 of 34
Latest reply

@1guldenvijftig wrote:

To the last part of your comment, how does one recognize an Ebay seller who sells less than $75,000 annually to Australian buyers?
Really interested in an answer to that last question.

It is not the buyer's responsibility to know if a seller is registered for GST or not.

The buyer can only assume a seller is meeting their obligations.

Message 30 of 34
Latest reply