Why are my reviews being rejected?

muirus1
Community Member

The last three reviews I have tried to post have all been withheld because "These reviews are not posted because they don't comply with our Community content policy or because they only contain ratings. Select 'Edit' to update and post updated reviews."

I have examined each of these reviews in detail and I cannot see any possible way in which any of them violate any of the guidelines linked.

The first time this happened I had thought that a part number which was included in the review, and which contained embedded dots, was being mistaken for a web address, but removing this made no difference. I then tried making other changes and shortening the review in case it was too long, but still no luck. By that time the item had sold out so the review was moot and I gave up on it.

Is this happening to anyone else?

Can someone give me a clue as to what is going on here?

Message 1 of 12
Latest reply
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

I think the problem, like kollector mentioned, is the two words -  is  extremely

Run them together and it's not community friendly according to ebay bots.

Find another word for extremely.  But not one that starts with ex

Someone else posted a phrase  who remembers and the bots only read the first 5 letters.

View solution in original post

Message 6 of 12
Latest reply
11 REPLIES 11

Is it possible that containing in your review there may be say 2 words that are together that could spell some profanity as this has happened in the past?

Message 2 of 12
Latest reply

muirus1
Community Member

For more information, I have attached a screen-shot of the rejected reviews.

Although the review on the surge arrest notes that I had got errors when trying to post it (possibly the listing had been cancelled by that time), this was not the case with the other two reviews which were submitted without error and then immediately rejected.

Message 3 of 12
Latest reply

Looking at your first review I can see the same word used twice in the review if 2 words were joined if you know what I mean?

It could be the issue but I'm not 100% sure.

Message 4 of 12
Latest reply

kollector18, thanks for the suggestion, but I have posted three very different reviews and one of them was rewritten at least twice. I can't imagine that all of them would inadvertently contain some unfortunately choice of phrase.

I've attached the full text of the latest review that I tried to post.

Unless the bot is doing something dumb like finding the word "con" in "seconds" or is uber-sensitive about me using the word "dire" to describe the English in the manual, I can't see what the problem is.

Message 5 of 12
Latest reply

I think the problem, like kollector mentioned, is the two words -  is  extremely

Run them together and it's not community friendly according to ebay bots.

Find another word for extremely.  But not one that starts with ex

Someone else posted a phrase  who remembers and the bots only read the first 5 letters.

Message 6 of 12
Latest reply

I didn't want to write those words as I thought my post might get deleted lol but spot on stawka you knew exactly what I was talking about lol.

There was a situation in the past when something about a pen was mentioned haha

Message 7 of 12
Latest reply

Yep   'The pen  is mightier than the sword'

But the boards are a lot more relaxed than they used to be.

Only Lithium bots here   hahahahaha

Message 8 of 12
Latest reply

hahahahaha relaxed that's funny

Message 9 of 12
Latest reply

Thank you both imastawka and kollector18.

I rewrote the post to eliminate the inadvertent "unfriendly" words and it posted, so you were right.

I'm very appreciative of your help, but I'm somewhat unhappy [I can't use the phrase that I would like to here] about the situation.

I'm frankly flabbergasted that a gigantic company such as eBay in the year 2018 would use a pitifully lame word filter of a type that was already a running joke 20 years ago. And to consider an innocent word like s**, that isn't even insulting or an expletive, to be offensive just adds insult to injury.

Have we been going backwards, both in technology and prudishness, since the since the turn of the century?

If I have to go through a painful trial and error process like this every time I want to post a review then I just won't bother.

Message 10 of 12
Latest reply