Why does ebay allow this?

There are so many listings like this one:

lights fake.JPG
The listing is for SOLAR LIGHTS, the main photo is of the lights as shown in the above photo left bottom corner and the price is $2.19, but when you click on it the lights are $15 and the cheap item from the drop down menu is something totally different.  And in this case, this weird piece of junk is the only item available from the listing; if you click on the drop down menu the lights are not available.  It makes search pretty much useless.  I keep reporting them, and checking the listings but nothing happens.

Together with so many items either not arriving at all, and replacements not showing up either, or if anything comes it is often damaged or was faulty to start with, I am finding I spend so much time getting refunds that I am starting to worry when will PP start to question me. 

My latest disaster were these lights.  I bought several about 4 years ago and they were great, but now are starting to fail, so I thought I better get replacements.  Bought 3, only one works, the other 2 look like they went through fire or something and do not work properly.   It took me a week to get my refund.
Believe me, they  look worse in real life:

IMG_9431.JPG

I find shopping in B&M stores too difficult now; unless I know exactly what I want, where to get and I can park right in the front, I just cannot do it.  I have been buying all my clothes and presents  on line, mainly from eBay, but I am really just over it now.  I wonder if other people are finding it as unsatisfactory as I? 

Message 1 of 20
Latest reply
2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions

Re: Why does ebay allow this?

Where do you live, kazumi?

What I am hearing is that you're maybe having a little trouble getting around, so you're looking for easy venues, not too much walking.

If you live in Vic at all, maybe over eastern suburbs way, I can direct you to the most marvellous little kitchen shop in a small group of shops, parking right out the front, excellent staff, seniors discount (for those who qualify & I do) plus what i love is they have a couple of tables with discount stock-not in boxes, maybe a small mark etc, but the most amazing prices. eg $30 instead of $200 on some cooking items.

Otherwise, for a lot of gift buying and so on, there are quite a few online places you can go to now. You probably already know a few but basically almost any shop you might want to browse in will have an online site these days. Ebay is good but as you say, those sorts of ads you were looking at are a pain.

I find ebay is fine for a lot of things but you have to pick & choose your ads, for sure.. I haven't been let down by an ebay seller in ages (except for one pick up item but that was not a professional seller).

View solution in original post

Message 5 of 20
Latest reply

I was going to send a private message but it seems a couple of others are also interested.

The shop is Cookware brands Outlet Shop. It is at 494 Dorset Rd, Croydon. It is in a small shopping strip.

A friend & I drop in there on our way out sometimes and always seem to pick up something, although sometimes it is just something small. Then we walk along the strip about 8 shops away and have a coffee & complimentary chocolate in Hahndorf's. Plus there is an interesting Op shop where we usually drop off some things then have a browse for anything unusual. So I guess for us it is just an enjoyable little interlude, it's not just about the cookware.Smiley Happy

I have to warn people the Cookware shop is not a big store, just average size. Not open Sat afternoons either. What is on the back tables varies completely from visit to visit. Often there is nothing I need, but I have picked up a couple of good pieces of Circulon for prices ranging from about $30-$50.

Most of the back tables stuff is items such as saucepans, grillets, frypans. Different brands from cheaper to more expensive.

The rest of the shop has a range of cookware items but they tend to be a bit dearer (still discounted, according to them though) as they are new in boxes.

There are some baking pans and some cake decorating things. More for the home cook than a professional level decorator though. My friend does cake decorating but she bought her tins elsewhere. 

The women who work there are prettty helpful, always willing to give advice on how or how not to use different pieces. The only sad thing is I asked about the senior's discount last time and they gave it to me, didn't even ask to see the card for proof.Woman Wink

PS Countessa, just noticed you said bread baking. I am not sure how much they have. They do have a website I think, but I can't recall a lot of breadbaking things. The stuff on the back table (usually saucepans etc) is not on the website as it is one off stuff)

View solution in original post

Message 11 of 20
Latest reply
19 REPLIES 19

People have been complaining about these sorts of listings for a long time. There is little likelyhood that Ebay will do anything about it.

It may not be as cheap but if you buy from Australian online stores (Or Ebay Australian sellers) you will be covered by our consumer laws so it might be worth the extra money. You do have other options than going into a B&M store.

Latest reply

I have so far always got my money back; it's just so unpleasant having to argue with them, and when I buy something it is because I need it.  But i also had disasters from sellers based in Australia.  In the way, I prefer to just get a refund for useless items than replacement from local one.  Few weeks back I bought a frying pan for my induction stove,which arrived with the base warped.  I tried to see how it works and put some water in and put it on the element, it was so unstable that when I knocked the handle slightly the pan wobbled and splashed the water.  They sent me replacement, which is only marginally better.  So now I have 2 wobbly frying pans.  Well, not really; the 1st one went into the rubbish.  But I feel bad because the seller probably thinks I got a freebie. 

There is no way I would given 2nd look to something like this if I saw it before I bought it:

IMG_9249.JPG

Message 3 of 20
Latest reply

Whenever possible I buy known brand names and if I was buying a fry pan would go for something like a Raco, Scanpan, Baccarat, Tefal without needing to go to the top of the range.

Even those ones that Aldi have from time to time are not bad. Croften is the name.

image host
Message 4 of 20
Latest reply

Where do you live, kazumi?

What I am hearing is that you're maybe having a little trouble getting around, so you're looking for easy venues, not too much walking.

If you live in Vic at all, maybe over eastern suburbs way, I can direct you to the most marvellous little kitchen shop in a small group of shops, parking right out the front, excellent staff, seniors discount (for those who qualify & I do) plus what i love is they have a couple of tables with discount stock-not in boxes, maybe a small mark etc, but the most amazing prices. eg $30 instead of $200 on some cooking items.

Otherwise, for a lot of gift buying and so on, there are quite a few online places you can go to now. You probably already know a few but basically almost any shop you might want to browse in will have an online site these days. Ebay is good but as you say, those sorts of ads you were looking at are a pain.

I find ebay is fine for a lot of things but you have to pick & choose your ads, for sure.. I haven't been let down by an ebay seller in ages (except for one pick up item but that was not a professional seller).

Message 5 of 20
Latest reply

I am in Seaford.  Please, do give me the address of the shop.

I sem to go trough months when everything is pretty good, and then I hit patch that no sooner that i close one dispute and get my money back, I am opening another one.  LOL  In this moment I get a panic attack when I see a postie with a parcel  (just joking). 

Message 6 of 20
Latest reply

@kopenhagen5 wrote:

Whenever possible I buy known brand names and if I was buying a fry pan would go for something like a Raco, Scanpan, Baccarat, Tefal without needing to go to the top of the range.

Even those ones that Aldi have from time to time are not bad. Croften is the name.

Most of my cookware is Baccarat, and some ancient Circulon, that was from the times I used to shop in Myers; have not been there for ages.  I do not really like the Croften, my daughter has some.  I also have some marble finish, which is great but does not work on the induction.  I got those on ebay, and I am not sure what brand (or fake of) they are.  But they are great and really non stick, even when I burnt something in them. 

Message 7 of 20
Latest reply

I only buy Swiss Diamond now for cookware, except for some Mauviel (carefully budgeted for, but wow! their copper pans with stainless steel lining are gorgeous!).

I will never buy Tefal again, after a very disappointing wok experience a few years ago.

After all, these things - pots, pans, etc. - are used every day, so it's worth in the long run to get good quality that will last and won't be wobbly. I suspect it would irritate me too much to use it.

Message 8 of 20
Latest reply

Does this kitchen shop have bread baking things in it, springyzone?

(I would not mind knowing about this little kitchen shop, too!)

Message 9 of 20
Latest reply

I would like to know also thanks springy. Smiley Very Happy

image host
Message 10 of 20
Latest reply