ebay needs to WAKE up! (re GST)

ebay needs to WAKE up and realise consumers are going to hate GST being added onto their foreign purchases...

This is a heads up ebay...!

We understand you (ebay) are forced to collect GST on behalf of the Australian Government.

We get that this is the Australian Governments decision not yours...

We also get that this is not ebay's "fault"... 

But with all due respect you (ebay) need to wake up to what consumers are thinking and make it easier not more difficut to use ebay's awesome buyer<>seller matching platform..

You need to sexy up your transaction end of the platform. You need to make it easier for consumers to cancel if they are unhappy with it and you need to add more discounts to maintain your market share..

Whilst we get it's not your fault, we will not tolerate your platform if we perceive (or we think in our opinion) their is anticompetive behaviour going on.... 

Whilst we get it's not your fault, you are going to have to lift your game otherwsie consumers will shop outside your platform!

just a HEADS UP ebay..we are not happy about the GST! Smiley Wink (all IMHO) 

Message 1 of 31
Latest reply
30 REPLIES 30

lyndal1838
Honored Contributor

Of course no-one is happy about the GST but as you say, it is not ebay's fault.

Why does ebay need to offer discounts and special offers to counteract the GST?

If you are not happy just look for seller websites that are not connected to ebay and buy from them.

To be honest, the items I buy from overseas are still cheaper than in Australia even with the GST added.

Message 2 of 31
Latest reply

Your comments are directed at ebat but yet ebay/ebay staff don't read here

Just curious? 

Message 3 of 31
Latest reply

....ebay doesn't monitor their community discussion?

....be news to me.. 

....if they don't they need to... 

My guess this whole GST thing will bite them in the X&&%$ (through no fault of their own) if they don't lift their game and handle the communcation and process involved.. shoppers will go elsehwere..

Just giving them a heads up  🙂 

Message 4 of 31
Latest reply

Self edited........sorry 

Message 5 of 31
Latest reply

No ebay don't monitor these boards and I don't buy from overseas so I don't give a **bleep** lol

Message 6 of 31
Latest reply

Nope

This forum is not run nor read by ebay

Message 7 of 31
Latest reply

@anner1813 wrote:

....ebay doesn't monitor their community discussion?

True, whether you believe it or not.

....be news to me.. 

The Moderators here are not ebay staff....they are from Lithium.

....if they don't they need to... 

Many people have said this for a very long time but it has not happened so far and I doubt that it ever will.

My guess this whole GST thing will bite them in the X&&%$ (through no fault of their own) if they don't lift their game and handle the communcation and process involved.. shoppers will go elsehwere..

How much communication do you need?   Ebay notified everyone when the arrangements were finalised and have put the process into operation from 1st July as they said.

The plans have been known for nearly 2 years now.....it was supposed to start last July (2017) but the government postponed it for a year. 

Just giving them a heads up  🙂 

Which will fall on deaf ears....ebay does not read here and would not take any notice if they did.

Message 8 of 31
Latest reply

@anner1813 wrote:

ebay needs to WAKE up and realise consumers are going to hate GST being added onto their foreign purchases...

This is a heads up ebay...!

We understand you (ebay) are forced to collect GST on behalf of the Australian Government.

We get that this is the Australian Governments decision not yours...

We also get that this is not ebay's "fault"... 

But with all due respect you (ebay) need to wake up to what consumers are thinking and make it easier not more difficut to use ebay's awesome buyer<>seller matching platform..

You need to sexy up your transaction end of the platform. You need to make it easier for consumers to cancel if they are unhappy with it and you need to add more discounts to maintain your market share..

Whilst we get it's not your fault, we will not tolerate your platform if we perceive (or we think in our opinion) their is anticompetive behaviour going on.... 

Whilst we get it's not your fault, you are going to have to lift your game otherwsie consumers will shop outside your platform!

just a HEADS UP ebay..we are not happy about the GST! Smiley Wink (all IMHO) 

So what do you want them to do,  pay the GST, that is being imposed by Fed Govt, for you, or follow another big player and discontinue International services for Australian Buyers.

If this matter has taken you by surprise, then I don't know where you have been for the last couple of years.  You really think ebay need your heads up, to know that buyers are not going to be happy.

Message 9 of 31
Latest reply

eBay had initially considered blocking Australian buyers from purchasing from overseas, (as Amazon has) so I would rather be able to continue to buy Internationally even with the GST.  However, I do fear, that maybe they may change their minds on this down the track, OR  add extra costs to sell items to cover their time and effort lost collecting GST. Has anybody heard anything lately about the $2 to $7 tax on every parcel that the government was considering? That will be on top of the GST.  I am just wondering how they justify taking GST on ALL items, even from sellers with a turnover of less than $75,000 (as initially proposed) and how then they justify taking it from individual sellers who are just selling off their personal property. None of us like it, and none of us can do anything about it unfortunately.

Message 10 of 31
Latest reply