highest bidder auction ended but NO ITEM?

How is it possible for an auction to end with the highest bid but then item is no longer listed.

The same item ( the actual item) is listed for auction 10 hours later!!

isn't it illegal to sell something you don't have?

Is it just a SCAM with a seller and EBAY conspiring?

Message 1 of 13
Latest reply
12 REPLIES 12

Re: highest bidder auction ended but NO ITEM?

Maybe the seller wasn't happy with the winning bid, cancelled the sale and relisted the item with a higher starting bid?

No, it is not illegal, but cancelling a sale means a defect for a seller, and the buyer can still give negative feedback.

Message 2 of 13
Latest reply

Item has completely disapeared from my bids/offer page & also gone from my watch list page

Message 3 of 13
Latest reply

On your Watch list page, scroll to the bottom and it will be under Cancelled Orders

Message 4 of 13
Latest reply

In addition to what Stawka said, you should also be able to go to it from the left of your summary page, where it says "awaiting feedback" if it is your order that was cancelled.

Message 5 of 13
Latest reply

@bgre2308 wrote:

How is it possible for an auction to end with the highest bid but then item is no longer listed.

------------------------------------------------------------

>> There are some possibilities as to what went down. 

* Seller may have mistakenly started up an auction then later realized that they didn't  actually have the item.

* Seller may have been hoping to get a higher price for the item and auction ended on an amount too low.

* Seller could have moved item from one place to another, dropped it and broke it.

@bgre2308 wrote:

It is illegal to take money for an item from a buyer that is non existent and leading that buyer into thinking they are getting what they paid for when in fact they are not.

No, it isn't really a scam and I doubt that seller  "seller and EBAY conspiring ". But that's not an out there question either and I can see and understand this question going through the minds of many people who have won on an auction and then have it cancelled by the seller. 

Your frustration is quite understandable and if by chance the seller has cancelled the auction due to dissatisfaction with the end bid then this is unacceptable. It does happen more than people think and there are examples of frustrated and saddened buyers. Something needs to be done about sellers cancelling auctions due to not liking the finishing price. That's a whole discussion that should be had at another time.

Has the seller contacted you or have you contacted seller to see what went on?

I'm sorry to hear that you had this happen to you.

Message 6 of 13
Latest reply

@4channel wrote:

@bgre2308 wrote:

>> There are some possibilities as to what went down. 

* Seller may have mistakenly started up an auction then later realized that they didn't  actually have the item.

* Seller may have been hoping to get a higher price for the item and auction ended on an amount too low.

* Seller could have moved item from one place to another, dropped it and broke it.

@bgre2308 wrote:

It is illegal to take money for an item from a buyer that is non existent and leading that buyer into thinking they are getting what they paid for when in fact they are not.

No, it isn't really a scam and I doubt that seller  "seller and EBAY conspiring ". But that's not an out there question either and I can see and understand this question going through the minds of many people who have won on an auction and then have it cancelled by the seller. 

Your frustration is quite understandable and if by chance the seller has cancelled the auction due to dissatisfaction with the end bid then this is unacceptable. It does happen more than people think and there are examples of frustrated and saddened buyers. Something needs to be done about sellers cancelling auctions due to not liking the finishing price. That's a whole discussion that should be had at another time.

Has the seller contacted you or have you contacted seller to see what went on?

I'm sorry to hear that you had this happen to you.

That topic has been done to death. Mostly by you. No mention of Renato?

Message 7 of 13
Latest reply

Hi *tippy*toes*. Not the case. I just believe in a "fair go".

Message 8 of 13
Latest reply

@*sons_and_daughters* wrote:

That topic has been done to death. Mostly by you. No mention of Renato?

--------------------------------------------------------

Ahh yes, the classic case of Renato's unfair treatment. I remember it well!

I would like to hear more from the OP about their findings before quoting historical scenarios.

Message 9 of 13
Latest reply

@4channel wrote:

I would like to hear more from the OP about their findings before quoting historical scenarios.

What - their findings on the conspiracy between the seller & eBay. ?? lol

Message 10 of 13
Latest reply