invalid tracking number AU post

ytwo000
Community Member

I bought 5 times from the same seller in a period of 3 months and every time i check the tracking number they supply ( AU post site) it comes up as invalid. Even after delivery the number is still invalid.

Items are small and are posted inside an ordinary envelope with a 70 cent stamp and placed in my mail box without signing for or anything.

My question is, is this seller making up a tracking number just to be safe with ebay incase a sale goes bad ?

Anyone know whats going on ?

Message 1 of 14
Latest reply
13 REPLIES 13

Re: invalid tracking number AU post

Thanks so much bbs, I was only aware there was a submission to increase the Large Letter up to 125g and beyond that, no-one seemed to know.  Oh dear, very stormy days ahead for many of us who sell low value items I think - and so many hours needed to go exploring and setting up camp elsewhere Smiley Frustrated    Perhaps I am too optimistic, but we may be jumping the gun & it may not turn out to be as bad as we are all imagining.

That said though, I have always had 1 day handling time & I do post same or next day over the counter only (no red boxes - too many lost articles using them) & touch wood, despite the outrageous ebay guesstimates, have never had a neg or less than 5 stars for postage time - well to be honest I did once - to Russia, but as it was delivered within ebay's 26 day estimate (by 1 day !) they removed it, plus I had message evidence that I had been tracking the item & advising the customer every couple of days after they opened an INR.  Must admit I was very lucky because it arrived the day the case was due to close - otherwise I guess he would have been automatically refunded - great system . . . . . .

Message 11 of 14
Latest reply

The recent tracking number changes anouncement seems to be part of a wider push to eventually see all ebay items sent with tracking. This will not only affect domestic sellers of cheap items,  but will decimate sellers who regularly trade with international clients.

At the moment I can send items overseas in an envelope weighing up to 250 gm. for around $8.00. With tracking this will increase to around $22.00. OS sales make up around 30% of my business, but this will slow to a crawl if items are required to be sent with tracking. With the postal services both in Australia and overseas being unreliable with regards to postage times, I may not be able to continue to sell OS.

Add to this having to manually edit 2000 listings to change postage cost settings ( weights of items vary and require different post costs ) and it is shaping up to be a major headache.

Message 12 of 14
Latest reply

I am just a small seller & sell a lot of small items, and I do also sell overseas - not a lot, lol probably because I only show Registered post for overseas !  I do get the occasional messages asking if I would consider sending unregistered as it is soooo costly & I go by 'gut' instinct from the tone of the message (have refused a couple Smiley Surprised), and have never had a problem with the ones I've sent unregistered, perhaps if it comes to the crunch you could try listing as Registered & 'hope' buyers message you ?  Not ideal I know, but perhaps better than the alternatives.

I have also been slowly phasing out the very small items, but have blamed the almost non-existent sales as a consequence of doing so, it seems no matter what one tries to do lately it's a no win for us little guys Smiley Sad

Message 13 of 14
Latest reply

Wow, have you checked out the proposed increase to prepaid envelopes.  I use these a lot so will be stocking up if these go ahead.

Message 14 of 14
Latest reply