l don't have question, BUT l sure would like sellers out there to more prompt in sending the orders

bishi3
Community Member

You order and pay for item[s] and some sellers wait more than a week before posting the item off, our postal system isn't that bad

Message 1 of 10
Latest reply
9 REPLIES 9

l don't have question, BUT l sure would like sellers out there to more prompt in sending the orders

How do you know how bad the postal service is?

There are bushfires everywhere; maybe that has something to do with slow delivery.

Not all sellers mark as sent promptly. Not all sellers use tracking. All sellers have a handling time. Do your 'slow' sellers have long handling times? ie Do they post within the times quoted by eBay?

As a rough guide subtract 2 business days from the earliest expected delivery date and that is the handling time.

Anecdotally, only a very small percentage of members ever visit the member boards, and those who do are a bit more cognisant of buyer expectations, so your lament is unlikely to spur anybody into changing their busuness practises.

Message 2 of 10
Latest reply

Maybe the sellers you speak of live in the real world

For many.many people the postal service is that bad and has been for a long time and is getting worse

I wish mail to me only took a week

And no, I'm not in a far flung area

And yes, the items/letters do have a postmark (proving when they were sent and how 'quickly' the postal service delivered them

I am not even going to go into the bushfire situation , no doubt there would be an excuse if I did 

Message 3 of 10
Latest reply

Did you check under "postage and handling" to see when they are likely to post? Some Sellers work and can only post once a week.  Some businesses are very busy and may take several days to post.  Everyone is different and every situation is different. I am a Seller too, and mine are posted mostly the same day, sometimes within a couple of hours. Makes me wonder just how many sellers you are judging this on. I buy a lot of things also, and there is a great variety of different posting habits. If you are so impatient for your items, you could try buying from a retail store.

Message 4 of 10
Latest reply

As Dave said, there are extreme bushfires in NSW, SA and QLD which are having huge impacts on delivery.

From the Aust Post website.....

Bushfire impacts in QLD, NSW and SA | Product recall

Message 5 of 10
Latest reply

As you can see there are many and varied reasons that sellers could be "slow" on their postage.

The first thing to do if postage and your own time frame is tight is to read their policies.

If their stated postage policy doesn't work for you either contact the seller and see if they can send a little quicker or move on.

Everyone on eBay who is a seller has their own quirks, reasons, personal preferences/issues, family and distance problems and now add to that Bush Fires, and we haven't even addressed AP issues.

With regard to posting responsible sellers clearly set out their postage time frame, up to the buyer to double check to see if it works for them. Best advice is communicate with the seller before you buy so you have some idea of what to expect, then watch

Keep track of your order using AP website if possible and if the system is working the way it is supposed to do you can watch your items travels (sometimes very interesting-but that's another story).

Sorry that you have obviously had an issue with a seller, most sellers are very honest and will do their best to make sure that their stock is sent in a timely and safe manner. What is the point of having disgruntled buyers - you won't come back and will tell everyone about what terrible service you received. That is the last thing that we want as a seller. 

We want buyers who are surprised at how quick their item arrived, love the service they received, leave glowing feedback, come back as a customer, and tell everyone how happy they are dealing with a seller on eBay.

Best wishes to you, and hope you are having a Merry and Safe Christmas.

Message 6 of 10
Latest reply

Forgive the nosiness, but it looks like you buy from a lot of media / DVD sellers. Because it's quite common for such sellers to send via large letter, I thought I'd just ask how many of the ones that took longer to arrive had priority stickers or labeling on them?

The reason I ask this, is because Aus Post's 2-speed letter system is a bit of a mixed bag - mail gets moved out daily to the distribution centres (business days, that is). If there's enough room on the truck after priority mail has been loaded, non-priority makes it out the same day as well. If there isn't, it gets held for up to 2 business days before being sent on to the next destination. This means that the seller's location, and the volume of mail their local distribution centre handles, can affect how quick it gets to you.

Where things get worse is that occasionally, these holds can occur multiple times throughout the transit route, even though it's not supposed to. This is why non-priority mail will sometimes arrive in 3 days, and other times 2-3 weeks. It's also why some sellers notice no difference at all between priority and non-priority, (i.e. because the mail volume at the initial distribution centre rarely means any mail gets held). 

It should be noted, however, that using priority (at an extra 50c per article), doesn't always guarantee faster arrival. The labeling has to be picked up at the initial sorting stage first - if it isn't, it rarely (if ever) gets a second chance to be detected as a priority letter. 

What I know is that I have sent two separate letters to the same address on the same day, via the same postage method (non-priority) and had them arrive a week apart, and I've had letters arrive to rural destinations faster than letters took to be delivered a couple of suburbs away. 

Plus all the other stuff already been mentioned.

Or, in other words, correlation does not equal causation, i.e. sellers posting promptly doesn't ensure Australia Post delivers promptly.

Message 7 of 10
Latest reply

And me.... I just have very heavy work loads and family commitments so have a 5 business day handling period. Sometimes if I,m away for several days with work, I only mail once a week and rarely mail more than twice a week these days. Its shown in my handling time and ebays estimated delivery time. If buyers dont read that ...Tuff.

Message 8 of 10
Latest reply

David Mitchell not only agrees, but - according to Lee Mack - it's one of his putative catchphrases.

Message 9 of 10
Latest reply

Then again, this website does show that the more letters the winning word of a particular spelling bee has, more people die by spiderbite, so there could be something to it after all... Smiley LOL

Spoiler
chart.jpeg
Message 10 of 10
Latest reply