non refund of gst

i made a large purchase with the gst totalling near 12 dollars my purchase was knocked back and i was refunded everything but the gst now that i have re orderd, it took another 12 dollars out out of my account how can i fix this cheers 

Message 1 of 8
Latest reply
7 REPLIES 7

Re: non refund of gst

If a seller has cancelled a transaction they need to refund the full amount.

But if it was an International transaction then eBay collects the tax unless the GSP was used in which case Pitney Bowes collects the tax and charges a fee for doing so.

I would call eBay.

image host
Message 2 of 8
Latest reply

lyndal1838
Honored Contributor

If the seller refunded you it should have been done through the original transaction which should have triggered a refund of the GST amount.

It would appear that the seller has sent you funds rather than refunding and the GST amount has not been refunded.

I would ring ebay and/or paypal and point out that the payment was refunded and the GST should also be refunded.

Message 3 of 8
Latest reply

No point contacting eBay. They will not be able to do anything. They will just delay you, and lie to you. Open a PayPal dispute, and you will get your money back.
Message 4 of 8
Latest reply

The OP can not open a dispute as they have already been refunded by the seller.

The GST will need to be claimed separately as the seller did not refund through the original transaction to trigger the GST refund.

Message 5 of 8
Latest reply

Have you ever actually had a GST transaction refunded? They are separate PayPal transactions. Refunding one does not refund the other. You can ask eBay, and they will repeatedly tell you that they will refund it in a week, only for a week to pass, and nothing. If you have months to waste waiting for them, then by all means, go through eBay, or simply open a dispute through PayPal, escalate it to a claim, and get it back in a week.
Message 6 of 8
Latest reply

@j-spec-online wrote:

Have you ever actually had a GST transaction refunded? 

Yes, I've had 2 of them refunded but in both cases the seller refunded through the original transaction so the GST component was refunded instantly.

I would very much doubt if a Paypal dispute is possible since as lyndal said the seller has refunded the item and/or postage costs.

"Start me up I'll never stop......"
Message 7 of 8
Latest reply

I've done it twice, once was a standard refund, while other was a return done through eBay's dispute system. The first time I patiently waited for eBay to lie to me repeatedly, then tell me that after careful analysis, I had already been refunded. The original amount was obviously, but not the GST. Eventually I gave up, opened a PayPal dispute, and got my money.

The second time I didn't waste my time with eBay's pantomime and simply opened the PayPal dispute and got my money back.

Obviously if you had already been refunded the GST, then a dispute would not be possible, but that is not the situation we are talking about here.

Message 8 of 8
Latest reply