seller blacklist facility

clifbr45
Community Member

i have dealt with a seller i never want to use again.  why wont ebay allow me to blacklist him (to me) if i ever accidently use him again.  

i can mark someone as a 'preffered' seller- but not an undesirable seller.

Message 1 of 77
Latest reply
76 REPLIES 76

I'm sure a lot of us would like that facility as buyers, but we know ebay doesn't care because they want everyone to keep buying so it isn't going to happen. They're shooting themselves in the foot because a lot of people will just stop buying altogether.
Message 51 of 77
Latest reply

@clifbr45

Your aggressive remarks to digital*ghost are inexplicable.

You asked ❝why wont ebay allow me to blacklist [an undesirable seller] (to me) if i ever accidently use him again❞. The responders who post on these boards are not eBay employees or members of the board of directors). That means, speaking very literally, that no one here can answer that question.

We can, however, speculate, and and we can suggest from our experience and our understanding of eBay's history and focus. digital*ghost has given you two good replies about why eBay probably haven't done what you ask. (This post and this post.)

If your real question is actually ❝Can I get eBay to implement a Blocked Seller List?❞, the answer is probably not. eBay aren't interested in receiving eBay member suggestions, but you can give it a try. Here is the link.

Underlying your question is what I think everyone who's replied in this thread has tried to answer... that is, the real, central, practical problem of avoiding sellers that you know from experience are bad sellers.

Several people have suggested that you should avoid buying from Chinese sellers, as these are by far the most problematic, and - based on the feedback you have both given and received - you do tend to buy from Chinese sellers.

FEEDBACK THAT YOU HAVE RECEIVED

Spoiler

Positive feedback ratingGreat communication. A pleasure to do business with. CHINESE SELLER

Positive feedback ratingThank you for an easy, pleasant transaction. Excellent buyer. A++++++.  CHINESE SELLER

Positive feedback ratingGood buyer, prompt payment, valued customer, highly recommended.   CHINESE (Singapore) SELLER

Positive feedback ratingQuick response and fast payment. Perfect! THANKS!!   CHINESE SELLER

Positive feedback ratingQuick response and fast payment. Perfect! THANKS!!   CHINESE SELLER

Positive feedback ratingThank you for an easy, pleasant transaction. Excellent buyer. A++++++.   CHINESE SELLER

Positive feedback ratingHope to deal with you again. Thank you.   CHINESE SELLER

Positive feedback ratingGood buyer, prompt payment, valued customer, highly recommended.A++++++.   CHINESE SELLER

Positive feedback ratingGood buyer, prompt payment, valued customer, highly recommended.   CHINESE (Malaysian) SELLER

Positive feedback ratingGreat communication. A pleasure to do business with.   CHINESE SELLER

Positive feedback ratingGreat communication. A pleasure to do business with.   CHINESE SELLER

Positive feedback ratingGood buyer with fast payment, thank you!   CHINESE SELLER

Positive feedback ratingThank you for an easy, pleasant transaction. Excellent buyer. A++++++.   CHINESE (Malaysian) SELLER

Positive feedback ratingHope to deal with you again. Thank you.   CHINESE SELLER

Positive feedback ratingQuick response and fast payment. Perfect! THANKS!!   CHINESE (Malaysian) SELLER

Positive feedback ratingThank you for an easy, pleasant transaction. Excellent buyer. A++++++.   CHINESE SELLER

Positive feedback ratingGood buyer, prompt payment, valued customer, highly recommended.

Positive feedback ratingThank you for an easy, pleasant transaction. Excellent buyer. A++++++.  CHINESE SELLER

Positive feedback ratingGood buyer, prompt payment, valued customer, highly recommended.   CHINESE SELLER

Positive feedback ratingHope to deal with you again. Thank you.   CHINESE (Hong Kong) SELLER

Out of 38 lots of feedback that you have received, 26 are Chinese / Malaysian. Roughly 68½ % of your purchases can be estimated to be from Chinese eBay sellers, of which the vast majority are located in China.

That tells me that you buy looking for the lowest price... without regard for warranty, or quality, or a wish to "buy Australian". You can continue to buy in that way, and you'll save a few dollars - but will run into the associated problems (of buying from Chinese sellers) every now and then.

If you need to rely on warranty... buy from Australian businesses (and make sure they are authorised resellers).

If you buy electrical / electronic items... buy from Australian businesses (and make sure they are authorised resellers).

How to tell if the seller is Chinese

In a listing, click onto the seller's feedback score. (It's a clickable link that will take you to to the eBay member's feedback profile page.)

In that feedback profile page you will see all of the seller's feedback, plus information about when and where that eBay seller was registered. E.G.,

In post number 6 of this thread, you said ❝i only found out later he has from china - he posted as australia❞. Many eBay members still aren't aware that the item location information on a listing can be misleading. Either the seller flat-out lies, or the seller is using "Just in time fulfilment". (You can read about in this post.)

If the seller is registered in China, but the item listing states that the item is located in Australia, to be on the safe side you may want to assume that it's coming from China and that the location information is a lie.

Unfortunately eBay Australia has so far not implemented a way to stop Chinese sellers from using misleading item location information, and in fact, eBay China encourages it. There is really very little point in reporting such listings or such sellers. Read here (especially in the "spoiler" section) to see why.

How to see if the seller's feedback shows a problem

On the seller's feedback profile page, you'll see a table called "Recent Feedback Ratings". Click onto the seller's negatives (12 months) - it's a clickable link, and clicking it will cause only the negative feedback received by the seller (in the last 12 months) to show.

Reading those feedback comments can demonstrate a consistent issue. For example, the seller for whom you gave negative feedback as follows;

Negative feedback rating  need a 'blacklist' facility for sellers we never want to deal with again

... did list the item location for the item that you bought as "Sydney, Australia." You need to dig deeper before buying. Check the seller's feedback profile page.

(For that sort of item, BUY AUSTRALIAN! The cheap price should have told you, as well, that you were buying rubbish.)

The best way to avoid buying from bad sellers is to check the seller's negatives (that seller's negs DID warn about the item location), country of registration, and feedback percentage. For a high-volume seller, I would not consider anything less than 99.5% a good percentage.

Message 52 of 77
Latest reply

Countess, sorry I can't find the 10 kudos button, must be another glitch.

image host
Message 53 of 77
Latest reply

Hello,everyone. To be respectful is very important in your interaction with other members here. I'd like to remind you that content that is harmful, hostile, threatening, abusive, baiting, vulgar, defamatory, harassing, or includes hate or racist speech, name calling, or profanity will be edited or removed. Please read about our policy here: https://community.ebay.com.au/t5/Community-Feedback/Updates-coming-to-eBay-com-au-Discussion-Boards/... Thanks very much. 🙂
Message 54 of 77
Latest reply

kopenhagen, here it is!

Kudos - select quantity

Message 55 of 77
Latest reply

WOT Countess !  I've never seen that before - you must be speshul.

"Start me up I'll never stop......"
Message 56 of 77
Latest reply

coffeescreenlaugh.gif

It took me - oh, five minutes or so - to whip up in my graphics programme...

Message 57 of 77
Latest reply

Dayam! I need to go shopping, as I'm out of popcorn. It's snowing too hard though, so I'll have to wait.

Message 58 of 77
Latest reply

@countessalmirena wrote:

coffeescreenlaugh.gif

It took me - oh, five minutes or so - to whip up in my graphics programme...

true.gif

"Start me up I'll never stop......"
Message 59 of 77
Latest reply

@clifbr45 wrote:

i only found out later he has from china - he posted as australia

You are perfectly right.

If you're talking about that last neg feedback you left for Chuntacu, I looked at a few of their items and they are indeed showing as located in Sydney, Australia. 

It isn't till you start clicking ont he seller name and open a new window you realise the seller is based in China.

This sort of misrepresentation of item location seems to be very common on ebay and i can completely understand that anyone reasonably new to buying on ebay would think a rating of something like 96% was pretty good. In normal, everyday life that would be a high score. 

On ebay, not so much.

But I am sure a lot of buyers look at the ad only and expect the information as shown to be accurate.

You ask why ebay won't allow you to put a private blocker on some sellers so you could avoid them in future. I don't know why, but suspect it is because they are in the business of encouraging people to buy from their sellers. It means more commission for them. 

They have a number of other things in place to restrict or affect sellers whose performance is not up to par, but for some reason, the Chinese sellers are a protected species.

I can't see ebay allowing a buyer to put actual blockers in place, but what they could do is if you go to buy something, it could be useful if they at least put up a note "seller you have bought from previously", maybe with a list of what you bought. I think that would help.

Message 60 of 77
Latest reply