spam from Shopping Express

this is a bit off topic i suppose but i am a buyer Smiley LOL anywwayz, are others also getting spam email from a company called Shopping Express? i received 4 in the last week & i have never dealt with them before so i shouldn't be subscribed to any emails from them.

I notice i only got them on both the email addresses i have linked to my 2 ebay accounts, not on any other emails. So i am presuming ebay sold my details to them or the company is partly owned by ebay or something, i could be wrong though. If this is correct doesn't it violate some sort of privacy law?

Message 1 of 23
Latest reply
22 REPLIES 22

Re: spam from Shopping Express

Yes, I am also getting spammed by them and like you, have never dealt with them. They are an Australian company so can be reported to ACMA for unsolicited emails. You can forward the email to them, which you can find here .  Don't change anything in the subject line or anything in the body of the email, just hit forward and send.

Message 2 of 23
Latest reply

thanks ilovemysheep, i have forwarded the email to them. I still wonder if they got my email address from ebay though, no way of proving it i guess.

Message 3 of 23
Latest reply

I can only assume that it was because I haven't subscribed to anything for a LONG time and even then, I have a hotmail address for that kind of thing (different to my eBay email address). I've also been getting recent spam from Discovery Buying. I don't get much spam, even though I've had this email address for quite a few years, mostly because I use my hotmail address for subscriptions, yet the last 2 weeks it's been coming in thick and fast.

If anyone else is getting spammed by Shopping Express I suggest you report the email as it's illegal in this country to send unsolicited emails.......regardless of whether they have an unsubscribe link at the bottom.

Message 4 of 23
Latest reply

I would think its also illegal for Ebay to pass on our email addresses to another company to be used for spam, then again with all their agreements we're forced to agree to i spose they get away with it using some clever wording. The emails actually from ebay advertising sales pre/post Xmas have been bad enough let alone any others, i dont mind getting some from them occasionally but its been excessive/

Message 5 of 23
Latest reply

Yep, I'm getting spammed by them too. I've never made a purchase from them and I can confirm 100% that they are somehow using email addresses from eBay.

I can provide this certainty because I used a little known tagging feature of gmail to create a unique email address that I've only stored in my email preferences on eBay. By adding +tag to your gmail address it will still deliver to your account, but it will include the tag. eg myemail+tag@gmail.com or myemail+ebay@gmail.com or myemail+whatever@gmail.com will all deliver to myemail@gmail.com, and will report the tag in the delivery address)

The fact that Shopping Express spam is send to "myemail+ebay@gmail.com" kinda gives the game away. Busted.

Message 6 of 23
Latest reply

If that is the case then it seems to be in direct contrast to what i found here in their privacy policy 'Marketing We do not sell or rent your personal information to third parties for their marketing purposes without your explicit consent' ....which i never gave them. But how to prove it, i'm not sure that what you have said dang..er is going to hold up in court so to speak.

Message 7 of 23
Latest reply

Shopping Express is wholly owned by Apus Corporation, and given that I'm also being spammed on BOTH of my eBay IDs, including one I've never used here, I can only surmise that they are either partly owned by eBay, or that eBay have sold their member list to Apus. It can only be one or the other, and I personally believe that Apus is partly owned by eBay myself.
Message 8 of 23
Latest reply

I strongly suggest that everyone who is being spammed by this mob report each and every one to ACMA. The more people that file a report, the more likely that they will be punished. I got 2 more last night, which I forwarded onto ACMA. Interestingly, I marked them as spam and set my filter to detect them as spam, yet they still came into my inbox. I'll have to check the headers because their return email address is probably not the email address they are being sent from.

Message 9 of 23
Latest reply

I was right, the emails are being sent from 'emcsend.com'

Message 10 of 23
Latest reply