Seller listed incorrect information and said she cannot resolve the issue

ekwo9647
Community Member

I recently purchased two clothing items as "guest" because I was overseas and ebay did not allow me to use my usual account.  The seller was dishonest by advertising the items as a luxury British brand, but sent me items that were not that brand and far cheaper (with slight damage to one of the items; the sizes were also different). I contacted the seller multiple times (as she was not always responsive). She asked me to send the items back to her for a refund. I have now returned from overseas and this will cost me international postage fees (which is more expensive than the cost of the cheap items she sent me). I suggested either she cover the cost for shipping or I can accept a partial refund for clothing that I cannot wear. Has anyone had similar experiences?

Message 1 of 13
Latest reply
12 REPLIES 12

So you bought the items while OS, and brought them back to oz with you, and expect the seller to pay for international post to have them returned.  You are not entitled to international post from the seller, nor is the seller required to offer you a partial refund.

You may be entitled to a full refund, but the seller is entitled to have the goods returned to them.

Message 2 of 13
Latest reply

Cease communicating with the seller and open a dispute with eBay's MBG. DO NOT close it until you are completely satisfied with the outcome. For an item not as described the seller must pay for the return.

https://pages.ebay.com.au/ebay-money-back-guarantee/

To find how to open a case as a guest use the link below.

https://www.ebay.com.au/help/buying/returns-items-not-received-refunds-buyers/returning-item/returni...

Edit. G'day GP. Hmmm, a tricky one on the return side of it for the INAD - I guess the OP may have to cough up some of the postage. I wonder if it was one of our "Teflon" sellers ???

"Start me up I'll never stop......"
Message 3 of 13
Latest reply

No

But then again I would never buy something, take it overseas and then send it back out my own pocket to a first  unresponsive seller who then  asked me to return it when they were dishonest in the first place

Message 4 of 13
Latest reply

The items may not have been as described, so yes, the buyer is entitled to a refund, with return postage, but they bought the items while overseas and the seller would have posted to a "local" address, not overseas. The seller shouldn't have to then cough up for international postage because the buyer has changed countries before they realised there was an issue with the items. 

Message 5 of 13
Latest reply

2 things.

If you had no response from the seller why didnt you go through the Ebay process of opening a case,  then you needed have worried about the seller.

Its a bit rich you know wanting the seller to cover international postage,  it isnt their fault you left the country.

3rd thing (yeah I said 2).   If the clothing isnt suitable, why would you accept a partial refund,  sounds like there is more to the story here.  My mind is turning

Message 6 of 13
Latest reply

Hi pady, yes unusual.  I would think any claim lodged by the buyer, would have to be lodged with whatever countries ebay, they bought from as a guest, and any return postage label issued would be for domestic post in that country.  Obviously the  OP would not be able to use the supplied label and therefore would not have proof of return.

I could be wrong, but I think they are really up the creek.

From what I understand  ebay  au.  was not involved in the original transaction, so I doubt they would be involved in any subsequent claim.

Message 7 of 13
Latest reply

Thank you for explaining. 

Message 8 of 13
Latest reply

Thank you for the suggestion.

I don't think it was a Teflon seller.

Message 9 of 13
Latest reply

Thank you.

I agree with you. The cost of international postage to send back the items is more than the worth of the items that were sent to it. It is not worth it, I may likely have to close the matter and accept the loss. 

Message 10 of 13
Latest reply