Anyone else into seeking their ancestors?

I have become adicted to Ancestry.com and am lucky enough that one side of my family can be researched way back into the dim times.

The other side has hit a brick wall and I have to wait until someone else in the world may have more information.

How is everyone else going?

Message 1 of 4,080
Latest reply
4,079 REPLIES 4,079

Re: Anyone else into seeking their Ancestors?

Flashie thats hysterical....did you find that when looking for someone?

I found this website yesterday and its great if you have ancestors that served in WW1. Lots of details re Gallipoli too.

http://alh-research.tripod.com/Light_Horse/index.blog/1816432/the-nek-and-hill-60-the-massacre-of-th...

photo screen-1-1-1-1.jpg
Message 4011 of 4,080
Latest reply

Hahaa ... I wonder what the story is behind the King of France being found here?  Who he was really I wonder.

That's an interesting site punchy.  You know the thing I always feel so sorry for is that the men, who had had their own horses shipped to war were told after it was over all horses had to be put down.  They would not be coming home because they had been exposed to things that Australia was free of.

I can so easily understand how each and every man felt about that after being through thick and thin with their horses...

Message 4012 of 4,080
Latest reply

I follow some geneaology sites on twitter and it came upon there one day..........

Message 4013 of 4,080
Latest reply

Well it's nothing if not odd! Smiley Very Happy

Message 4014 of 4,080
Latest reply

The recent loss of my grandfather and his involvement in WW2 had me studying my ancestors service records over the last few days.

Turns out my great grandfather served in the same battalion in WW1 as my husbands great uncle. They both left Melbourne on the same ship and served in France. Small world.

photo screen-1-1-1-1.jpg
Message 4015 of 4,080
Latest reply

A very small world punchie.  That must have been a fun thing to discover Smiley Happy

Message 4016 of 4,080
Latest reply

Its was quite exciting to find really...I'm thinking I'll get a map or something and start charting some of the service records and see how many of them crossed paths.

I think I have another that was involved in some of the same battles as my grandfather, but he was army and grandpa was navy, havent had his service record opened yet.

photo screen-1-1-1-1.jpg
Message 4017 of 4,080
Latest reply

I believe so much information can be accessed at the War Memorial in Canberra... what an interesting idea to trace relatives and see if they met or served in the same areas as eachother.  It's so very likely they did.

My father served in the Middle East in the last world war.  I did find quite a bit of information in Canberra.

Happy hunting 🙂

Message 4018 of 4,080
Latest reply

He probably crossed paths with my grandfather darkie, he spent quite a bit of time in the middle east.

photo screen-1-1-1-1.jpg
Message 4019 of 4,080
Latest reply

Very likely...  My father was in the Engineers, later returned and did time in Darwin and Nui Guinea, so if you had rellies there too any of them could have crossed pathes.  Wouldn't it be fun if you found him - Roger Gibson.  🙂

Message 4020 of 4,080
Latest reply