Anyone else into seeking their ancestors?

I have become adicted to Ancestry.com and am lucky enough that one side of my family can be researched way back into the dim times.

The other side has hit a brick wall and I have to wait until someone else in the world may have more information.

How is everyone else going?

Message 1 of 4,080
Latest reply
4,079 REPLIES 4,079

Re: Anyone else into seeking their ancestors?

Always start with your granparents........preferably have their marrriage certificate as it says their parents.

Family search is invaluable in finding information.

Trove is another brilliant site .....it has Australian Newspapers up to about 1950 all states.

Or....you could always ask on this thread for some help.

Message 1941 of 4,080
Latest reply

If starting with your grandparents is not an option then start with your parents.

Message 1942 of 4,080
Latest reply

Amela, if you go back to page 36, post #1770 you will find a list of sites that many of us have contributed to this thread.  Try as many of the free sites before lashing out on Ancestry or something similar.  I've been searching the free sites for a couple of years gathering what info I could find.  Only last month I have paid for a year on Ancestry.  Couldn't justify it before this.  Save your money now and use it instead to purchase certificates. ๐Ÿ™‚

~ Mon ~
Message 1943 of 4,080
Latest reply

Well sybille I hope that means you have gone back more than just a few generations. :^O

Message 1944 of 4,080
Latest reply

setipus
Community Member

Gee whizz..my family still does..you mean to say this is not the case with everyone??

Message 1945 of 4,080
Latest reply

sorry guys I'm going to be a pain in the proverbial but to save me going thru 81 pages of posts can I pls get some advice as the best way to start off doing the family tree?

should I join ancestory.com.au? and do I just pay a casual monthly fee $24.95.

Or is there another way I should start off?

thanks in advance ๐Ÿ™‚

Hi there amela, do the maths... It is actually cheeper to pay for the year, but of course, if there is nothing to be found then it could prove expensive.

What sort of information do you have?

I am an annual ancestry member, but then I have a lot of rellies to back track.

Maybe you could start by Googling family surnames.  Quite often you will find out a lot that way.  I'm also sure that the girls here will give you other clues you can hunt down.

But probably once you are armed with as much information as you can get this way then Ancestry is the go.

Hope this helps, it sounds to me a bit like the weather... "it will remain fine unless it rains"  :^O

Message 1946 of 4,080
Latest reply

sigh!  I mean 'cheaper'.  Don't let's bring chickens into it :^O

Message 1947 of 4,080
Latest reply

Punch....how are you going with the Rostrons.

I have a few days work left on the Lumbs

Kaya...could you please message me a email address you would like the information sent to.

Message 1948 of 4,080
Latest reply

Punch....how are you going with the Rostrons.

I have a few days work left on the Lumbs

Kaya...could you please message me a email address you would like the information sent to.

I have been very slack :8}

I have downloaded the relevant censuses and marriage records, but thats all I've done so far.

Still hoping for the James/Elsie marriage record to make sure we are on the right track.

kaya, if you are still having trouble with that, I can try for you and you can send me the money by paypal.

photo screen-1-1-1-1.jpg
Message 1949 of 4,080
Latest reply

kaya, I found this great website.

http://www.lancashirebmd.org.uk/index.php

Heaps of births deaths and marriages for that area. You can also order the marriage certificate from there, but you will need to print up the order form amd post it. It does have the reference number on there which would probably help get it done quicker.

photo screen-1-1-1-1.jpg
Message 1950 of 4,080
Latest reply